Mac Mini - USB-A or USB-C out to DAC

Just upgraded to a Mac Mini for streaming and music storage. It has USB-A and USB-C outs. I used USB-A with my old Mac (USB-C wasn’t built-in then) to DAC. Any benefit to switching to the USB-C out? I have noticed there are way fewer higher end USB-C cables available.
Thanks in advance,
Chris

You don’t mention the dac input options, if it’s not usbc then I would stick with what you had cable wise

DAC USB input is USB-B plug, which seems to universal for most DAC USB inputs. I have not seen a DAC with a USB-C plug input.

I too just upgraded to a Mac MINI and love it. As I understand it, the reason why DACs never use USB-C is because the amount of data needed to carry audio is well under the maximum for USB-A. I’m sure someone here is going to argue with that, saying that the 1 jillion GHz sampling rate has a much better soundstage using USB-C, but my tired old ears can’t hear anything different between 96 and 192 anyway, so I think I’m fine. As far as compatibility, any C will take A with no problem - it’s when you try to plug a C device into an A - it will usually work, but only at A speed, which should be fine for audio.

Use the port for which you have, can buy a good quality USB cable. Typically most audiophile cables are USB A. Ie. best bang for the bugs.

Actually I just realized I might have given some wrong info. I believe the USB A, C, etc. pertains to the size of the connectors - USB 1, 2, etc. is about the speed. Unless you have a different Mac MINI, I don’t think they make one with anything other than USB A connector and USB 3 speed.

Use the A port. There isn’t inherent reason for the higher speed. The reason you see these “older” ports on DACs is because the physical connectors are significantly cheaper than the newer stuff and there is no benefit in Audio beyond, maybe, convenience.

All audiophile cables are USB type A to USB type B and that’s the connections you should use. I was told by a high end manufacture USB 2.0 is better than 3.0 because it was simpler and all the speed you need for Audio.

Getting a better cable is more beneficial to SQ than what connection you use. Just don’t go over board like I did and got a $5k USB cable, but once I heard it, there’s no way I was going back. My advice is get a cable you can afford and don’t listen to any you can’t afford.

1 Like