Mad Scientist Tweek

The power filtering power cords looked a bit “rustic” up close. I didn’t try them.

I would be much more likely to use my own IEC female connector for a cord. Almost all of the ones that I have seen for DIY are really bad, including these. I want a solid body, and especially a great connection.

a steadfast connection and good conductive metals are paramount that’s for sure.

I have soldered my Eichmann power cable directly into the wall socket cable eliminating one connection altogether and that’s a dedicated feed.

the P-5 reports 1.6 thd today the sun is out today, on rainy days I have observed 1.2 I find that interesting as more people would be consuming more power hmm

Johno said

a steadfast connection and good conductive metals are paramount that’s for sure.

I have soldered my Eichmann power cable directly into the wall socket cable eliminating one connection altogether and that’s a dedicated feed.

Dude, is that legal in NZ?

Legal, schmegal, sounds like something I would do.drinking-39_gif

Yeah, but if a fire were to originate in that area, even if it’s not clear it was the result of this tinkering, good luck getting your fire insurance company to pay. May be very unlikely but …

I would not suggest you do as I’ve done regarding hard connection for power feed.

now back to the topic, I’m very happy with the p++ I’m hearing more deeply into the music with this cable on my amp, SQ is improved very good balance bass mids and highs and foot tapping. I’ve gained more resolution, I cannot hear any down side so I’ll be keeping this cable. The P++ out performed an Eichmann which was feeding my amp. It’s a wolf in sheep cloth, I got the cable sheath done in cotton instead of the usual flame retardant stuff drinking-39_gifdancing-009_gif

wow what extra is the DS going to bring, the mk11 is sounding Magical tonight

I have failed you all so far,as I have NO intention of taking out the tweeks to hear the difference again! My system has never sounded better, so why would I mess with that?

Why, in the interest of verification and scientific accuracy of observations of course! 4_gif

J.P.

I have tried 4 black discus thingys for 2 weeks now. From what I can tell, they are ferrite impregnated hard plastic. They are certainly magnetic.

I placed 1each on the IC cable from preamp to power amp, and 1each on power cords to preamp and power amp.

Firstly, they do something… But what they do depends a bit on where you put them. They also seem to take some time to work, but, removing them results in instant return to system sound prior to their addition.

On the power cords I found they sapped bass energy. However, my power cords are Shunyata cobra zitron’s, so maybe they were just screwing up the zitron circuits.

On the ICs they seemed to take away some treble energy and added some focus. This was at the expense of some ‘air’. I also found that the cello on one of my reference recordings was off to the left slightly, not centred as it is usually.

Overall, I prefer my system without. However, they do something, so don’t be afraid to try them.

stereophilus said They are certainly magnetic.
@stereophilius - Just curious: how strong is the magnetic pull?

Quite weak. They didn’t snap onto anything iron. But they quickly snapped onto a fridge magnet. I think they have an amorphous magnetic field, that needs an existing polarised magnet to align the magnetic poles in the device. I might be wrong.

Those are honest statements. I sure prefer that to the pie in the sky type hype that goes so often with such products. There is no doubt in my mind that such an experiment will vary from system to system.I think that I did not prefer the discs on power cords, but for some reason, when I drilled holes in the samples, and slipped them over incoming AC, that was the best change that I had heard. Now, I will say that I also cut a thick piece of copper sheet into a circle and sandwiched it between the two sample discs. It was then that I heard a definite increase in bass clarity and a little better treble. As I added two more sizable discs to the system, these effects were less, and as a matter of fact, I wasn’t at all sure that I cared for the combined effect. So I removed one disc from the system, leaving only a mini disc on the CD power cord. I did try the weak magnet on top of the disc, and found a more pleasing effect, but I will go no further with this experiment, as I feel my system could not possibly benefit any more by the addition of more discs.

I found the black discus to work in two areas only in my system. Under my player motor which made a profound improvement in soundstage and imaging. These also worked on the toroidal transformers in the player and preamp. I got no change on any of the interconnects, amplifier speaker terminals or power cords.

I must say that the free sample gave the best results. This is because I took them both and sandwiched a brass disc in between them. The I drilled holes for the transformer wires(primary, not secondary) to pass through them. I have actually ordered a few free samples for a price to try on some IC’s in my ‘famous’ Carver C9 circuits. As someone mentioned earlier, different doesn’t necc. mean better. I think that this whole thing is a shot in the dark that, if successful is worth the price. Really I cannot say better of most of the tweeking ideas out there. If anything, I think that acoustic tweeking (I mean the real stuff, not little brass bowls filled with pebbles), has the most real benefit.

You guys really need to try the Mad Scientist “NEO” power cord…

I haven’t quit messing with these devices. Recently, I have been putting them into some of the equipment that I upgrade and sell. I don’t charge for them because they were free samples. Bob at MS sent a few extra for the price of postage. Overall, they seem to do best when in association with the incoming AC power. I have made two holes in them and then threaded the two power wires through. This gives a bit better performance, but I wouldn’t overstate it. If anything, it seems to help with cd recordings that were harsh to begin with. Here is a peek.P8310007.JPG