Magnepan 3.7i vs 20.7

I am considering the 20.7 upgrade and could always use the DWM panels with the 20.7 as well. My room is funny, it sucks mid bass and upper bass like a sponge but has bass nulls around 75 and 60 hz. So if I use my sub at 80 hz on crossover I get too much bass bump. If I use sub at 40hz it’s amazing but I get a lack at say 120-80 hz with my 3.7i. SO I need to raise the upper bass to mid bass hz range without my subs… or I could try to use a DSP module on my subs?

Well the dwms need power - and running them off the same taps decreases impedance which could impact how your amp drives your mains - that’s one problem. The other is the need to have a filter on the high frequencies on the dwm? Then you also have to bring your subs into play. This is sounding complicated. :).

I have my 20s and a ml descent sub essentially pushing frequencies of 25hz and below. Everything above that is all panel. My room is a ‘bass suck’ as well. It’s 17x30 w carpet/pad over cement. Drywall with heavy a acoustic tiles in the ceiling. You walk into it and everything gets real quiet.

Remember - the 20 has dual magnets on the front and back of the panel for mids and bass whereas the 3.7 I believe has single sided magnets. Also the frame on to 20 is more substantial. I think the 20.7 weigh 175 each. That says a bit.

Timm, thank you for helping me with my decision. I’ll look into the 20.7 for sure.

I have the 20.7s and I bet there is no owner of 20.7s that is needing the bass panels. My rel subs are set at the lowest crossover point

3 Likes

I thought you might give your 2 cents Minnesota. Agree w you.

1 Like

So now my dealer has changed their tune on the trade in policy… So I’ll be selling my MINT black oak, black cloth 3.7i pair if someone is interested. PM me. New in April 2019.

If I had just a little more room I’d buy them. I’ve had Maggies on the mind lately but no place to put them where they can be out from the walls.

I have my 3.7i for sale as the dealer now changed the upgrade policy. So I am buying the 20.7 from a different dealer and selling my like new 3.7i. I feel my asking price is fair. PM me if interested.

Question maybe someone can offer some knowledge here. Has anyone compared the 20.7 to the Martin Logan CLX Art? I have not heard either speaker, so I was curious to see if anyone has?

Not quite, but I did extensively compare the Summit-X to the 20.7’s. I wrote a lengthily review of my saga on the Audiogon forum at the time because, like you, I couldn’t find a decent comparison elsewhere. if you’re interested: https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/review-martin-logan-summit-x-speaker?highlight=magneplanar%2B20.7

I did take the opportunity to listen to the CLX’s, but not in a direct comparison. Outside the budgetary range. FWIW: bigger stators, so a smoother and more fleshed-out midrange and midbass than the Summit-X. More detailed midrange than the 20.7’s (they are stats, after all). Can be played at lower spl levels and still be “satisfying.”

They do not have that satisfyin’ bass punch that only comes from a big planar surface moving lotsa air. They require subwoofer to get the last octave. This may simplify room placement, but the subs have to be carefully considered so you don’t lose the uncanny coherency that comes with big maggies.

It would be a tough choice, given that the CLX’s are about twice the cost and require subs.

Overture AV in DE carries both and could set up a comparison for you. If you’re more than curious, it would be worth the trip if you’re on the East Coast.

CLX is definitely worth a listen. If I recall Darren has jlaudio subs all ready.

I had Logan’s all ready and they share a house sound across the product. They will let you hear the minute detail. They have a cleaner sound. But I’d say the mags own the body and mid bass. My opinion - and the ribbon is smooove.

Darren - if you can get out to listen to CLX - do it. It’s the only way you will know

I do have JL Audio sub pair, and I am leaning heavily towards the 20.7. Just curious tho.

1 Like

I don’t think you will be upset with that decision.

1 Like

Would anyone who has had or owns Magnepan rather have an older IRS Beta setup? I ask out of curiosity.

I have never heard them. But if the emits are the same as the ones in my infinity’s back in the late 70/80s - I would gather they are tough to come by. I prob burned up 5 mid ranges and 1 emit in my day. :). College years … things got better when I got a bigger amp. No idea about the IRSVs - but the infinity quantum line I think was a difficult load - or just real inefficient. But I still loved em

I don’t care for the management style at Magnepan at all. Due to this I am thinking, maybe wonder from the forest.

They are a small company. They try to maintain rules regarding their dealer network. I know people that have gotten around those rules. They support products that are very old and repanel them at reasonable costs.

People do have issues with their ‘call us’ approach vs email.

So it is up to you really. I’m no shill. I just like the product and service. I also like that they are small and built here. Not owned by a conglomerate.

I ended up buying mine from a different dealer as the one I originally dealt with kept screwing things up.

Sound Lab speakers are now on my radar

Haha. Let us know if you hear them. I never have.

Darren

Have you looked at GT Audio Works built in NJ?