Matrix X-SPDIF 2

@waymanchen11 i’m currently using WW Silver Sphere HDMI 2.1 as the Platinum was not at stock and I was assuming this one should be very close to the Platinum. I have been using Supra HDMI and some cheap 8k HDMI cable and was not able to discern differences between those 3…

EDIT - will give the HDMI/USB cable shootout another try once i’ll get the Farad (btw they send me mail yesterday that it should ship today, so crossing fingers :slight_smile: I was ordering via Kemp )

I also have my fingers cross. My P20 Power regenerator is on the FedEx delivery truck right now so I will be playing around with that for awhile. Fun time ahead!!
The Platinum is much better than the Silver. No way you will not hear it, but for the HDMI, I would go straight to the RAL HDMI! It is better than the Platinum at a lower cost! As to the USB, Platinum is fine, but Audience FrontRow is better, and if you can swing it, try the Shunyata Sigma. These premium cables will make your system sing like you never heard before!!

3 Likes

Have you compared going direct from your streamer to DSD with the Shunyata Sigma USB, versus via the Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 + RAL HDMI? I’ve read those links on the Shunyata Sigma USB which are raving, so wondered if the Matrix still adds something when you have a USB cable of that calibre. Apologies if there’s an answer to this somewhere back in the >3000 responses… :slight_smile:

I thought they were all using the RAL HDMI cable with the Matrix to the DS’s I2S input.

This question is best answered by Mr. @aangen! He’s the one that has the Sigma.
I absolutely trust his assessment that the Sigma can outperform the FrontRow!

Thanks!
@aangen - have you compared:

1. Server -> Shunyata Sigma USB -> DSD Dac Sr. versus
  2. Server -> Shunyata Sigma USB -> Matrix X-SPDIF2 -> RAL HDMI (I2S) -> DSD Dac Sr.?
    In other words, with such an elite USB, does the Matrix still “add” to the SQ?
    If anyone else has the Shunyata Sigma USB, please contribute too!
    It’s USD$2000 in the USA, and Aussie prices are AUD$3600 (USD$2584)!

Hi Philip,
No sir, I have never even considered such a simple test. I should try it I suppose but I believe quite strongly that the Matrix path is going to sound better.
I will consider trying it and report back.
Al

2 Likes

Hi Al,
Thanks for getting back to me. Look forward to your impressions if you do proceed.
Kind regards,
Phil

1 Like

I got my Farad Super3 today and out of the box I have to say as good as the fully loaded Sbooster with SR Orange fuse and Ultra MKII is, the Farad is much better!! A fuller, more detailed, livelier sound!! It is also the fully loaded version also, with the Sr Orange fuse, Furutech AC, and 100cm silver Level 2 DC cable!! I can hardly wait for it to be fully broken in!!

3 Likes

Dang!! I’m gonna have to get me one of those!
I’ve ordered an Sbooster already (not arrived) but will switch it to a 19V to feed the Nucleus and get a Farad for the Matrix.
Dangerous hobby, this.

2 Likes

What voltage did you select? I’m keen to order one, too!
Many thanks,
Phil

Glad to hear you appreciate the fully loaded Farad Super3 that much! It’s amazing what real good linear power quality can do to the Matrix, to me it was an absolute component level upgrade. Now, you running 7V and me using 6V who will be guinea pig to test different voltage?!? :sweat_smile::joy:

2 Likes

There’s a lot of 9v fans out there. 9v may or may not sound better, but might run a little warm, I don’t know. My 7v runs cool and I leave it on all the time, and I can’t imagine my system sounding much better!!

3 Likes

Congratulations on finding better sound with the latest LPS iteration, but that is audiophile blasphemy language. We all imagine and it is a bonus when we find it.

2 Likes

I powered my system up again today thinking what I heard yesterday was only a dream! How can something be much better than my beloved Sbooster? Well, I’ll be darn, today after the Farad has been on for a day, it’s even better!! The Sbooster sounds more washed out. The Farad brings everything to live!! Incredible that just a power supply can do this!! This is one happy camper!!

2 Likes

Uggh. U r making me want to spend.

2 Likes

Your experience is quite similar to mine and it only got better, settling down after about 200hrs.

IMO feeding the Matrix with real high quality linear power can only have this much of impact because of its position in the chain, isolating the usb frontend going reclocked and clean directly via I2S into the DS.

4 Likes

I have just removed the Bridge II and concur that there is a discernible improvement in SQ.

4 Likes

I’ve just placed my order for the Farad 7V with bells & whistles! Time to disconnect the Bridge II …

3 Likes

I just took mine out and was not prepared for how significantly the sound quality improved! It’s not going back in…
the next order is the Sbooster 19V for the Roob Nucleus +, and the Farad 7V for the Matrix. I’m going to have to be patient I guess for the RAL HDMI- I emailed Brad one month after placing my order and heard nothing back.