Matrix X-SPDIF 2

So it cost me 988 USD with all bells and whistles. I bought in Euro and had my card do the conversion. PayPal seems to add an added 4% on the conversion. My card charges no fees

As someone who is driving his Matrix with a 7V Teddy Pardo P/S, I think you’ll be extremely pleased with you choice. I know I am.

1 Like

Today I turn on my system again and I’m hearing things I never heard before!! Everything is breaking in nicely, especially the Farad!! I’m hearing dense 3 dimensional spooky real images with all the decay and air you hear live in my living room, incredible!! So exciting!! If you want sweet lay back sound, look elsewhere, but if you want true to source absolute sound, this is the ticket! OK, I admit it’s not just the Farad, the P20 and Beeswax fuse I just got also contribute to this performance, but the Farad play a big role since when I put back the Sbooster, a little of this magic is gone!!

3 Likes

Thanks, Vac

1 Like

This is all very informative but we might need to create a

“What LPS are you using?” post!

Just kidding! Thanks for the input.

I was getting ready to order an Sbooster. Now I have to consider Pardo and Farad!

My bad there is a post already!

https://forum.psaudio.com/t/which-power-supply-are-you-guys-using-with-your-matrix-x-spdif-2-5v-or-9v/15564

1 Like

I followed your advice in the past and found your thoughts to be true for me too. But on this I just can’t. I just can’t go there. Nope. If I could visit your setup that could do the trick I suppose. :slight_smile:

I am listening to records more now anyway. They slay all.

2 Likes

It’s OK Al, after spending so much on so many different upgrades, it’ time to give it a break. But when you get the itch again, put the Farad on top of your to do list. It is one amazing unit!
I compared a recording with my vinyl and although the record is fuller, the bass has less tightness and control. The upgraded digital has better inner detail. It’s been going back and forth which I prefer to listen more depending what I upgrade. Seems I’m leaning towards digital again. Can you believe it!!

4 Likes

The only thing that puts me off the Teddy is the supplied dc lead, it looks quite fragile and is unscreened. The human nature of doubt is creeping in for me now. Do I just say Beep to the expense and go for the 3 x price of the Farad…

Following this post for over a year now and finally went for the Matrix :wink: For now it’s fed (audio and power) by a SOtM tX-USBultra /NEO / sps-500 combination. Already very pleased. Today i removed the Bridge II from the senior but didn’t expect this kind of performance jump.

So thank you all for all the tips and suggestions!

Next step maybe a Teddy or Farad.

How do you say it “I’m already a happy camper” :slight_smile:

4 Likes

The Teddy Pardo vs Farad 3 comparison has me intrigued. From what I’m reading the Farad 3 is superior but… is it $600 better?

Please let us know and thanks to all you LPS researchers!

The thing with the Farad, is you don’t have to buy all the extras, it’s just the first buyer did and we all follow like lemmings, who knows, maybe the Farad without the bits is still better than Teddy.

2 Likes

I’m a lemming!! Ha, but so much fun! I really can’t wait for mine to arrive. Then I’ll start fantasising about a Shunyata Sigma USB…

4 Likes

Just to confirm I meant no offence to anyone, or their families, by using the term ‘lemmings’ :wink:

3 Likes

And right off the cliff I go…

1 Like

I took no offense, but my pet lemming was pretty cheesed off by the comment. :smile:

2 Likes

Arrrrgh! Resistance was futile! I’ve just taken the plunge and ordered the tricked-up Farad (sans mains cable upgrade) for a tick under $A1400! I’ll post a report after it’s delivered and installed. Don’t hold your breath! Shipping delays have been horrendous in recent times to this part of the world. Hopefully it’ll arrive in time for my birthday in December :expressionless:

Thanks (I think) for all the Farad comments that pushed me over the line. I’ll leave the mains cable for another upgrade. :wink:

2 Likes

Yah according to fed ex mine has been in Germany for 3 days. :slight_smile:

@chris5 is right, you don’t have to go all out with the Farad, maybe just the unit and level 2 DC and it should be only $627. I think the fuse and especially the Furutech plug is a very minor contribution to the performance. You can put in a Beeswax fuse later!

1 Like

For anyone running the Farad at 7V on the Matrix, how warm is it?

My Teddy LPS on an OpticalRendu is the coolest unit on the shelf.

Looks like 7v is not enough to heat either units. Both units are cool to the touch, even the heat sinks on the Farad are cool, and it’s been on nonstop for 8 days.

3 Likes