Miles Davis Kind of Blue best sounding !?

Where’s Phil Schaap when we need him?

2 Likes

Me too !

2 Likes

sorry i had leave vinyl for ever so analog for me now is only tape (for now cassette)

Not sure if we have a misunderstanding…the 2013 version I speak of is a digital medium but you look for an LP, right?

1 Like

Hello again, you said rds mono by Ryan K Smith, is analogue source.

Thanks everybody for writing about best kind of blue :blush:

I’m not a fan of the Mobile Fidelity SACD, I think they sort of missed on that one.

My favorite KoB is the high resolution download. I think it was released in 2010 but not certain.

1 Like

All the LP‘s I mentioned are analog sourced. The RSD mono first was in suspect of digital master (but anyway reviewed very positive), then Fremer added a comment somewhere that he got confirmed it’s analog sourced. Doesn’t matter…it’s great.

If mono or another stereo is personal preference…mostly good to have both for comparison, I’m rather a stereo guy mostly.

The RSD should be available for the normal price. The 33RPM Grundman and the Gray mastered Stereo should not be too expensive if you can find them. Stereo Gray or Grundman depends how the Grundman sound on your setup (can be too bright for some)

I don’t know of other recommendable analog sourced LP‘s of that album which come from the direct masters.

2 Likes

I recently bought (do I really need another copy of KOB?) the DSD download from Acoustic Sounds (no affiliation) and it sounds great on my DSjr. It’s based off the Mark Wilder 1997 DSD transfer from analog tape - same lineage as the the Sony/Columbia SACD (with the alternate take of Flamenco Sketches).

I also have the HDtracks 96/24 PCM 2013 version which was also a Mark Wilder transfer from analog tape (AFAIK). Both sound great.

Finally, I have the 2013 RSD LP mono which I believe was also cut from the same 2013 analog tape Mark Wilder lineage and mastered by Ryan K Smith. Sounds awesome.

1 Like

hello jazznut and thank you for your info;

now can you give me some info (maybe some links) of the Gray mastered stereo and the 33rpm by Grundman, that you advice should not be so expensive?

ps. i wonder if you have compare the RSD mono vinyl to mono cd, of the same series?
ps.2 do you listen to the mono rsd with a mono cartridge?

hello pbphoto thanks for the info.

from discogs i get these informations;
Miles Davis ‎ Kind Of Blue:

1995 Classic Records ‎– CS8163, Columbia ‎– CS8163
2 × Vinyl, LP, Album, Reissue, Remastered
( i dont know who mastered these and if it was a analogue transfers, and it seems that is is the same for the 1997 test pressing you find in discogs)

1999 Columbia ‎ CS 8163, Classic Records ‎ CS 8163 4 × Vinyl, LP, 45 RPM
Remastered By Bernie Grundman is a analogue transfers

2001 Columbia ‎ CS 8163, Classic Records ‎CS 8163
200 Gram HQ Quiex SV-P
remastered by Bernie Grundman is a analogue transfers

2007 Sony BMG Music Entertainment ‎– 88697160461, Columbia ‎– 88697160461
180g “360 Sound - Guaranteed High Fidelity”
(dont know who mastered this, and if it is a analogue transfers)

Columbia ‎– 88697 33552 2, Legacy ‎– 88697 33552 2
Box Set, Album, Limited Edition, Reissue, Remastered
2 × CD, Album
DVD, DVD-Video, NTSC
Vinyl, LP, Album, Blue, 180gram
Engineer [Recording] – Fred Plaut, Engineer [Remix] – Mark Wilder
(dont know if it is a analogue transfers)

2009 Jazz Wax Records ‎– JWR 4534
Vinyl, LP, Album, Reissue, Limited Edition, 180 gram
(dont know who mastered this, and if it is a analogue transfers, all i know is it is a Direct Metal Mastering, dont know what it means)

2009, 2011, 2016 Columbia ‎– CS 8163 Planeta DeAgostini

2010 Music On Vinyl ‎– MOVLP 019, Music On Vinyl ‎– MOVLP019, Columbia ‎– 88697638941, Legacy ‎– 88697638941
2 × Vinyl, LP, Album, Reissue, Remastered, Stereo, 180 Gram, Gatefold

2013 Columbia ‎– CL 1355, Columbia ‎– 88883761031S2
Miles Davis-The Original Mono Recordings –
Vinyl, LP, Album, Limited Edition, Reissue, Remastered, Mono, 180 Gram
Remastered At – Sterling Sound
Lacquer Cut At – Sterling Sound
Pressed By – Record Technology Incorporated
jazznut said Fremer said it was a analogue transfers Remastered By Ryan Smith

Music On Vinyl did also the some mono 2013 remastering, and a 2014 stereo version

2015 Columbia ‎– 88875111921, Legacy ‎– 88875111921, Sony Music ‎– 88875111921
Legacy Vinyl , We Are Vinyl Stereo, 180 gram

2015 Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab ‎– MFSL 2-45011, Columbia ‎– 88697943631, Sony Music Commercial Music Group ‎– 88697943631
Original Master Recording – MFSL 2-45011, Gain 2™ Ultra Analog 45RPM 180g Series – MFSL 2-45011
2 × Vinyl, 12", 45 RPM, Album, Limited Edition, Numbered, Reissue, Remastered, Stereo, 180g
Box Set

Engineer [Recording] – Fred Plaut
Lacquer Cut and Mastered By – Krieg Wunderlich
Mastered By [Assisted By] – Rob LoVerde
Remix [Engineer] – Mark Wilder

a digital transfers from the 24 bit 192 khz?

I try to answer as many questions as I can.

Also the 33RPM classic records Grundman releases are a bit more expensive meanwhile than I thought, but if you look at Discogs, you should find the best current prices without spending too much time. All classic records Grundman releases are from analog sources.

Using the link to the analogplanet review of the RSD release further above, you find all relevant info including the year 2013 of the review.

I don’t have a mono cartridge and I think there was no CD version of the RSD release. The vinyl RSD release was superior to the mono digital version I compared it to, but I don’t remember, which digital mono version that was.

The Mofi is analog sourced

I’d avoid musiconvinyl, Jazz wax or similar. Some may be ok, others CD sourced, you never know…but they all are inferior to those mentioned before.

The Gray mastered ones (especially the second version) are hard to identify because both are common Sony Legacy 180g versions of the corresponding years, but within those years Legacy versions were mastered by different engineers. You can hardly know without opening. So you have to look for sales where the mastering engineer is mentioned. When I’m at home again, I can look for the years and could even send pictures, but it won’t help you a lot as I mentioned.

If you’re happy with mono, I’d stick to the RSD version, then you don’t have to search a lot and spend money and you can be sure you have one of the best versions.

1 Like

This is the SACD to get:

4 Likes

thank you very much jazznut!!

I will stick with the MONO

@Buho sorry you are correct - The Ryan K Smith mastered mono LP is from Record Store Day November 2013, not 2015. It still sounds awesome!

@speed-racer I have the Sony CS 64935 SACD and it is the same as the DSD download currently available from Acoustic Sounds. I prefer it over the 96/24 PCM version from HDTracks because it has the bonus version of Flamenco Sketches. Both sound fantastic but I prefer the DSD version on my DSjr. It’s just my preference - I could be happy with either.

1 Like

A 360 sound must be a later repressing of the normal release, not special imo, but might sound ok.

Classic made more than those. At least a 2 speed release 180g, the 45RPM 180g, the 33 black 180g, the blue 180g and the Quiex 200g.

1 Like

there is litle confution about were all the sacd and dsd came from: some from japan and some from different years!

I found yesterday that there is even a More hard version to find, it is a uk remastered One made by absolute analogue a that i heard some people say sound amazing

Both the HDtracks 96/24 PCM version and the DSD download from Acoustic Sounds (which is the same as the Sony CS 64935 SACD) sound fantastic. If you forced me to choose, I’d pick the DSD version - it sounds a little more mellow/natural to my ears whereas the HDtracks is more forward and definitely louder. I could not fault anybody for picking either though.

1 Like