Miles Davis Kind of Blue best sounding !?

For those interested there going to be a new mono release in the End of this year by Sony i belive from the same 24 bit 192 pcm that you can find in hdtracks.

The blue Classic Records will be very expensive now…all affordable blue ones you’ll find won’t be the Classic. I bought mine at release date.

Here’s a picture of the back of the first Gray stereo mastering.

The second Gray stereo mastering from his new mastering chain is hard to identify but sounding even better except of highs with a little lower level and a slighly lower level generally.

2 Likes

Makes no sense I’d say, as this is what Fremer wrote about the label:

“Absolute Analogue is a small British reissue label that uses analog tapes, either original (as in the case of the Mott the Hoople reissues), or original first-generation dupes—which were used for its Columbia reissues of Miles Davis, Bob Dylan, Carol King, Stevie Ray Vaughan, etc.“

Read more at https://www.analogplanet.com/content/analog-corner-56#sqwsBwuYsL91Zk6W.99

1 Like

Why is it so hard to get a “great” copy of this? Is it because the original analog master tape is gone? Seem to remember reading that somewhere - don’t remember for sure.

1 Like

what are first generations dupes?

jazznut;

i wonder if you know the Matrix / Runout of the first Gray stereo mastering?

well it seems is this one:

https://www.discogs.com/Miles-Davis-Kind-Of-Blue/release/2825456

It’s because the majors don’t give away the masters too often and make their own releases with inferior mastering engineers…no…with caring less for quality.

The few releases done by the best with care enabled by their reissue companies get out of print.

1 Like

a direct copy of the master tape

truly truth

great!

ps. you mean the test pressing?

I could tell and can do later, but it doesn’t matter I guess as they are identical among those releases…what you need to take care of is the engraving of the mastering engineer (KG)

1 Like

what do you mean?

Ok

Ps. This KG is only inside in the vinyl label right?

Ok you mean the dupes are a copy of the master tape? Maybe to another master tape?

The other top releases we spoke of are made from the original master. Reissues made overseas (and not only contracted from overseas to a mastering engineer in the US) are done from first or later generation copies of the master tape (in case of US majors).

Here all engravings of the first Gray release:

1 Like

thank you very much;

yes it is this one:

https://www.discogs.com/Miles-Davis-Kind-Of-Blue/release/2825456

Great that’s it’s available so cheap.
That’s the advantage when occasionally the majors contract One of the big mastering names. Not sure but I remember one of the Gray reissues was a previous RSD release…this or the second one I guess.

great to know

ps. i read online in other pages that maybe the Kevin Gray may had been mastered from digital source, or maybe it was the second mastering. Do you know? just wonder in the end if it sound very good that would not be a big problem i guess, at least for the price :grin:

I had several exchange with him on various of his masterings. Both are from analog. I think he even mentioned he never made transfers from digital of such jazz classics.

1 Like