Miles Smiles SACD

I could only compare it with the Esoteric SACD, both are Stereo. No big difference, but I like the MFSL a little more, it’s a little smoother in mids somehow, but this needs multiple times forth and back switching.

Cool. I’ve never sprung for Esoteric SACDs, their best price was always higher than my wallet.

Their classical releases are great, the Jazz releases not as good as the best other reissues, but very close.

But the classical ones have some of that indescribable relaxedness in timing and smooth midrange of LP’s using their potential.

Lonson, I figured you had a few versions to compare! I lurk on the Hoffman forums mainly searching for opinions about remasters because I’ve wasted so much money over the years. The other day I saw a post listing the staggering amount of CD’s in your collection. Quite impressive.

Jazznut, thanks for the comparison. I’ve been pretty happy with the latest MFSL SACD releases, but I usually don’t have much with which to compare. I only own a handful, but they’re usually much better than the CD version I own.

B, you really can’t go wrong with these MFSL SACDs of Miles material. They all have tended to be the best digital version, and many restore original mixes to digital that haven’t been presented this century otherwise.

Yes, I have way too many cds. It was like a sickness for a long time, and really kicked into gear when I used money that I would have spent on cigarettes to buy cds when I quit smoking in '90. I was no longer addicted to nicotine but I became addicted to cds. And now they begin to feel like a burden (especially if you ask my wife!) But I love music and with the collecting gene I inherited from my Dad it was bound to happen.

I agree with Lonson, the MFSL SACD‘s are usually the best digital versions unless a DCC or AP is existing and you can‘t go wrong … the only question would be if it’s worth the difference to you in case you have another good version already.

In the same way SHM SACD releases usually are among the worst versions imo.

But Miles Smiles is no real audiophile gem anyway, but still nice sounding :wink:

1 Like

I’m finally listening to this SACD, it arrived Friday but I haven’t been able to do much listening since then.

Glorious sound.

1 Like

Glad you like it. I’m looking forward to getting home and giving it another spin. The best part, for me, is hearing that much more of Tony’s ride cymbal.

I agree that the cymbals sound wonderful.

1 Like

man Miles trumpet “scream” there is amazing :grin:

I really like the Mobile Fidelity “Miles Smiles” but I still think “Sorcerer” is possibly the most remarkable MFSL Jazz SACD.

However, “Sorcerer” is my absolute #1 Miles album so my statement is extremely biased.