Modding DirectStream DAC MKII

I am over a 100 hours on the Audio Magic M-1. The balance is near perfect and bass continues to further define. It should be done cooking whe I get back from CA on Thursday evening.

The Chris Jones Road House and Automobiles. Sounded like I was in the Bird Menagerie at the zoo at the end of the song.

The next song.

Resulted in this message from Roon when the MC1.25KW monoblocks were peaking around 2KW each. Seems the P20 ran out of current. But the big drum slams were plenty solid and amps were not into power guard. Still plenty of headroom. The mK 2 has incredibly deep soundstage.

This marks the first time I ever had P20 shut down playing stereo only. Therefore the MK2 is killing the DS in dynamic range. The Home Theater running another big surround amp No rsck real estate for a second P20 though I have plenty of dedicated lines.

1 Like

Dialed to eleven! Nice!

More like 55 on a 100 scale. Still wasn’t even Sammy Hagar or Spinal Tap approved.

I ordered a MKII a couple of days ago, so I am planning ahead. Where is everyone buying the AB7050 absorber sheets from?

1 Like

3m ab7050hf

1 Like

FYI… I setup a pol in the marketplace about some helpful info on the MKII. :grin:

6 Likes

How did you come across these measurements?

Also does this apply to the P15 and or the BHK 250?

Every piece of equipment is different in how it reacts to RF and EMF. Measurements are based on experience on what components benefit from 3M absorber application and listening to how application in areas improves or degrades the sound. The 3M material’s data sheet give some suggestions on where to use material, but you need a highly revealing system and a good ear. Thus it is listen to a song snippet from sweet spot. Apply absorber. Return to sweet spot re listen to song snippet. The hone in on how much a where sound best and most natural.

The thread I created in power components chronicles my 3M application discovery

@dchang05 has played with P15 and AB7050HF application.

3 Likes

I did a blinded test with the 3M on my P20 a while back and my wife picked the difference perfectly- without even knowing what I was doing. When I showed her the 3M sheet, she was amazed. Put it inside later.

1 Like

Would there be any downside to being lazy and just lining the whole inside top cover with the 3MAB7050HF?

Too much coverage would make the sound murky in my experience.

1 Like

No it wouldn’t sound good at all most likely. Being too close to capacitors changes their inductance and can negatively influence the sound. Instead of more openness and clarity, things can start sounding thicker or murky as @dchang05 states.

2 Likes

How is this possible?

Mat is passive without electromagnet field

Do capacitors rely on their surroundings?

Thanks for everyone’s feedback on this - my unit won’t be shipping until April timeframe so have time to plan.

Our MK2 shipped yesterday. I have a pair of Nickel transformers waiting :smiley:

5 Likes

The 3M material is a ferromagnetic composite compound. It affects electromagnetic fields acts like a sponge converting RF and EMF to heat.

3 Likes

well, if magnetic, then impact is feasible

when I was a neuroscientist in 1970s, I built a Faraday Cage room inside the lab to keep out electromagnetic interference from the recorded ultra small electrical signals in nerve and muscle cells. About 10x10 by 8 feet high, room surrounded by copper screen, grounded.

seems a similar thing could be done in audio, although the metal cases already deliver this shielding

(incidentally, I designed/implemented one of only a couple labs doing this as well as doing analog to digital conversion of the recorded electrical signals…such that instead of having merely a couple dozen data points per day by photographing the oscilloscope screen, we had millions provided by the computer programs I wrote. I used to have brains.)

1 Like

Thermal radiation is one type of electromagnetic radiation, specifically one that transfers heat often in the form of infrared waves. Generally, thermal radiation and infrared waves are referred to simply as “heat”. Since heat is carried by electromagnetic waves, it does not need a physical medium to transfer it.

1 Like

We installed the final version of our Nickel transformers. Wow. First note we immediately heard the magic Ted built into these DAC’s. The output level is now restored to the full 4v when the volume is set to 98. Dynamics, Power and realness are unbelievable. Cello’s and bass instruments sound more correct and real to me. I almost couldn’t believe how much improvement they make even with only 8 hrs. of burn in.

Leaving me with a little taste of what the TSS might sound like. :grin:

2 Likes