Multi Channel System with 3 x Directstream

This is a hybrid 2 channel / MCH system with dedicated servers. The MCH server sits behind the rack feeding 3 x DirectStream from a Lynx card. The 2 channel server is bottom left, next to Oppo 103D. Both servers run Dirac Live DRC. All libraries are controlled from iPad JRiver/Jmedia. Amplification is Spectral. Also behind the rack are Shunyata Triton and Typhon conditioners. Main speakers and center are Evolution Acoustics. I have a pair of B&W NT8 Signature in-walls for surround. Just got my hands on a 2 x stereo Job 225 for amplification of Center / Surrounds. Will try the new PS Audio amp when released. Waiting for Ted to deliver an firmware fix for alleged clock sync issues when using 3 x DS in MCH application. I am not using any subs.

System-Jan2015-01-1.JPGSystem-Jan2015-02-1.JPGSystem-Jan2015-03-1.JPG

The next release of the FPGA and PIC code is close and addresses two problems for edorr’s system.

I tightened up the clock syncing for constant latency when syncing to video or running DSs in parallel. Like edorr, on many disks I don’t hear a problem with three DSs with the old code. But I do on a few and the new code fixes that.

The Oppo BDP-103 powers up with the sample clock out of valid range (Redbook specs +/- 100ppm) but it gets into range as it warms up. The new FPGA code greatly widens the range of allowed input sample rates with just a little less jitter rejection for those outside of 100ppm. There’s no degradation for sample rates within 100ppm of nominal.

Thanks Ted. I have indeed variable latency issues - on some DVDs / BRs audio / video is in sync, on some it is not. I have set a audio delay in Jriver. It’s OK 90% of the time though. Would be nice if new FW fixes this. Tightening up clock sync would be nice too, although I don’t really hear a problem - guess I’ll find out if the new FW yields audible improvement.

Oh boy. Have you got a surprise in store. The new version is nothing short of magic.

So I’ll get the double whammy of better sound from each DAC and betting clock syncing between DACs. This should be good.

Evolution MM3’s are on my wish list :). Beautiful setup EDORR.

1.5 years gone by and all Spectral electronics gone and replaced with BHK Monos and preamp. Yesterday P10s arrived, so Shunyata conditioners are gone too. PS Audio end to end - nothing can touch it at the pricepoint.

PS-Audio-1.JPG

Aside of the surely great sound I like the looks of an all-PSA system!

Full disclosure. I do not use PS audio AC cabling. Otherwise, it is the full monty.

Edorr, nice looking system! I’m sure you’ve mentioned it before, but what speakers are you using? And that rack, is it a Steve Blinn or something else?

it is a Steve Blinn rack. I am using the Evolution Acoustics MM3 for mains. The diminutive speaker you see on the pic is actually the EA center channel, which works surprisingly well with the giant MM3s.

Great system. Congrats.

edorr said 1.5 years gone by and all Spectral electronics gone and replaced with BHK Monos and preamp. Yesterday P10s arrived, so Shunyata conditioners are gone too. PS Audio end to end - nothing can touch it at the pricepoint.