Multiwave with AC Turntables

I recently purchased a P3 and just received it yesterday! I’m still trying to debate my impressions on the effects/output of Multiwave, but as I was reading a few reviews, I came across an interesting statement that I thought someone on here could elaborate on.

From http://www.stereotimes.com/acc072312.shtml:
“I should also note that since my particular Michell turntable has a DC motor the Multiwave worked well to tighten the bass of the turntable and give it a little more dynamic impact. However, turntables that use AC synchronous motors should not be used with the Multiwave feature because motors that synchronize with the 60Hz line frequency will not work properly.”

Is this true? I have a VPI Classic with an AC motor, and Multiwave seems to work, but I’m not sure if using Multiwave will give my turntable problems down the road. Can someone advise?

Also… do power plants benefit from break in just like other audio components? I am already using a broken-in PS Audio AC-5 to plug it in.

That is true, a nice clean 60 Hz sine wave is what an AC synchronous motor needs. Multi-wave has, as the name implies, multiple sine waves to give slightly more power to the device. AC motors need not apply … Now having said that, does your turntable have a wall wart power supply? If it does it has a mini-SDS built in and that might overcome the problems with multi wave and AC synchronous motors. I would also add, that if you do have the wall wart you could plug it directly into the wall if the rest of your system benefits from multi-wave. The mini SDS will offer some line filtering benefit so you wouldn’t be losing too much (if anything).

Yes, your P3 will sound different (better is my guess!) after a week or so, breakin is real with these.

pmotz - thanks for the clarification on AC motors. The VPI Classic doesn’t have a wall wart, but it does have something similar to the image I’ve uploaded. If this is ok to be plugged in to the P3, let me know, but otherwise I’ll be plugging straight into the wall.

lonson - thank you for giving me confidence that break in is required. I did notice a difference just from leaving it on overnight, so I’m excited to see how it will continue to break in.

Thiefoflight, I don’t see an image, but if your table has a regular power cord (i.e., no wall wart) then it is probably best to either not use multi-wave or plug it direct into the wall.

Not sure why it didn’t attach but I here’s a link instead…

https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/gallery/image.php?mode=large&image_id=25293

Hmmmm, not sure what to make of that. I’ve never owned a Classic, I have an Aries now and an HW-19 prior to that. My understanding from the VPI forum is the early Classic models had a mini-SDS and they were identified with a wall wart power supply. VPI has been real “good” about making configuration changes and not changing model designations so sometimes there are surprises. I’ll take a look at that forum and will report back if I find anything.

I just purchased a P5 and am waiting for delivery. I also have an AC powered turntable but I’m using mine with a sine generator where the frequency,voltage and phase are adjustable for 33.3 and 45 rpm.

Would it make any difference with my set up whether I use MultiWave or not?

Thank You,

Gregory

Welcome!

I would not plug the sine wave generator into the P5 when using multiwave as this would make the sine generator’s job harder. Of course, you can try it and see. :slight_smile:

Agreed with Elk.

Got it,

Thank You both,