Music playback concepts

"More than two channels will enable the next step in achieving higher performance from all systems on the planet, namely eliminating the crossover in the loudspeaker."

My hope is that multi-channel audio playback becomes supported by ubiquitous music players and that third-party DSP can be added as a plug-in. I’m not talking about multi-channel music here. More than two channels will enable the next step in achieving higher performance from all systems on the planet, namely eliminating the crossover in the loudspeaker. This is what is holding back even the very best systems on the planet. The solution is not hardware that does DSP crossover and drives multiple amplifiers. The solution is crossover software in the source player that splits each track into multiple modified crossover files based on your particular speaker, each track having the task of driving one driver in a speaker. One track would feed the left channel tweeter, one the left channel midrange and one track for the woofer. Same for the right channel. Maybe up to 8 tracks. All of these tracks would be transmitted on the network simultaneously and synchronized in buffers by the speakers. The speakers would contain multiple identical DACs and multiple amplifiers to drive all of the speaker drivers. This would require a lot more bandwidth than two-channel digital, but it will be available. Can you imagine what kind of audio quality you would get from even an inexpensive speaker with this technology? This breakthrough will elevate the entire market quality.

The goal of the software DSP plug-in is for room correction. This Room correction can be cooked into all of the multi-channel “crossover” tracks that are delivered to the loudspeakers. The user can then “tune” his system using software and a calibrated reference microphone. The DSP room correction software and crossover software could be produced by industry experts, not Microsoft and Apple. Do we really trust them to do this? No way. We only need the base infrastructure from these guys to support multi-channel and DSP plug-ins. BTW, I made this entire proposal to the audio group at Microsoft. They were too busy doing Win8…

Gorden look almost no wires . Just cat cables and power to speakers…

Al D