Music Subscription Plan

Hey @Paul and @cookie,

I’ve been reading the posts regarding Qobuz in the US and streaming, and the insights @cookie kindly gave us about the streaming biz. (https://www.psaudio.com/pauls-posts/purity-at-the-source/)

And to say the least, I am touched by the way the business go. As @Paul always says, you have to honor the music. But for me, honouring the music is not simply playing it through a hi-fi equipment, but also to value the work of the people involved in the music chain (beginning with the music artist, and going all the way to the publishers).

And I was moved by @cookie’s plea to “find your favorite artist or music store and buy something today. Download, CD, even mp3. One mp3 sale can make a difference.”

So I wanted to make a proposition. It is not an original prop, and certainly not a new idea (since B&W already have something like this), but anyhow: you could create a subscription to buy music. It would function like a prepaid music acquisition plan, whereby the publishers, as Blue Coast, would select one or two albums per month to forward to the subscribers for download. These would be recordings notable by their sonic “truthfulness”, or by their performance, or historical meaning.

Should you be able to come up with enough publishers (and I can imagine you guys know how to work your way around the industry), this could be something to create a predictable cash flow for all, and, therefore, alleviate the financial situation.

This would also create a direct link between subscribers and publishers, which could generate more business opportunities.

I honestly cannot believe that customers like the ones who buy PS Audio products, and have thousands, or tens of thousands of dollars invested in music equipment, wouldn’t support the service, should the music be of good quality.

It is always fun to tweak and benchmark your audio equipment (like I used to do with gaming hardware in my youth); but in the end, its true meaning is only achieved through playing good music.

My two cents. Best of luck.

Nice idea.
I want to add a related, some artist sell their CDs, records, paraphernalia, etc. from their website. Buying direct from them whenever you can, helps.

Yes, this seems to be the purest form of support to an artist. But I would gladly pay a few more bucks to have a curated selection of albums to buy into.

If there were only current music I actually wanted to buy…

I am buying CDs mostly with 60’s and 70’s music.

That’s also a dilemma for me. That is why the curated part for me makes sense.

Thank you for your comments. Funny enough, we’ve been running a subscription for nearly a year.

We have 35,000 subscribers to our newsletters. We surveyed our customers and based on their answers, we offered a membership subscription called Blue Coast PRIME.

We didn’t get the response we had hoped and are retiring this version of the subscription on Oct 31, 2018. We’ll launch a new version in January.

I appreciate your suggestions. What also helps is to post links in forums to music purchase pages. Sort reviews are wonderful.

Thank you, again,
Cookie Marenco
Blue Coast Music and Records

Hey,

I appreciate your words. I didn’t know your current subscription offer, but I will look st your new service in January.

Do you think it is feasible to group together a number of publishers/distributors, that share the same musical philosophy (high quality, no BS), to increase the catalog? Maybe it could help the service be more attractive.

Regards

The current Blue Coast PRIME offer is available to Oct 31, 2018. . It’s $100 and includes…
One free album of any format
30% discount on all products for one year (and other coupons can be applied)
12 free songs not yet released and recorded in DSD 256
36 new songs upcoming (3 per month).

Here’s a coupon code for a 50% discount
PRIME50

For some understanding of the situation…
Distributors (or where the music is purchased) typically do not own the music. The record labels own the copyrights… meaning the deals/agreements are made with the labels. While the high resolution distributors all have good intentions, many (most) records labels are not recording in high resolution formats. The difficulty for all of us distributors is getting high quality content of known artists. Meaning, finding those of the same musical philosophy is difficult. Not to mention that licensing the music for this purpose takes 6-12 months along with finding the masters (which may prove impossible in some cases).

If we want no BS on high quality it means producing it ourselves (which we and many of the distributors do… have our own labels and know the quality). That limits the choice.

The definition of “high quality, no BS” has many variations for the consumer and the reality of what there is available from the labels (outside of the known labels like Blue Coast Records and others who state their beliefs upfront) are far apart.

I don’t want to sound hopeless. I do think there is an answer that requires some compromise from all. We may have one solution to test. We’ll see in January. :slight_smile:

This is an article I wrote this weekend… it may give some insight to the issues the high resolution distributors face.
https://dsd-guide.com/why-dont-more-professional-audio-engineers-record-above-cd-quality

Thank you, again, for your concerns and opinions.
Enjoy your music!

Cookie Marenco
Blue Coast Music and Records

I think the thread opener has got the solution there is no need of any solution but here I would suggest you to go and check out on Google about it.