My Apologies - But I Have To Share - ASR’s review of the SGCD

This smells like China Money. Caution folks.

I don’t understand the point. Plausibly, the differences between DACs would be more than enough for Paul to detect (after all, he knows the sound of the DS better than anyone). If not, then it would mean two DACs with vastly different distortion %s can still sound the same, which means distortion at this level is not important in sound quality, so Amir’s measurements are meaningless, which is exactly the point Paul is making. Either way Paul wins. What am I missing?

3 Likes

Sadly, for the first time ever, I have to block/check out of a thread on this forum. I have seen all of this devolution of thought before.

The ONLY way to avoid such intellectual immaturity is to not engage. I hope others will consider following my lead.

Cheers.

2 Likes

I´m sure Paul has better things to do than argue and debate with ASR folks. We all do.

1 Like

If Paul is able to detect his own product, then it is indeed a win for him and the charity of his choice. If he cannot pick out his own product, it is definitely not a win for Paul. It is Paul’s assertion that his products sound great and those that measure very well tend to sound like poo. Amir is willing to bet to put that assertion to the test. If he cannot reliably pick out his own product, his selling point of being able hear the differences in dacs and not needing to rely on measurements is false.

Paul has mentioned before he could instantly hear the difference in firmware versions of the DS, surely this challenge would be trivial.

Agreed. Guys, seriously, just ignore them and hopefully they’ll go away.

I’ve had run ins with these people on the Steve Hoffman Forums. Things get nasty real fast. Huge batches of posts get deleted by the mods whenever they show up. Imagine the dirt they’d sling if that happened here?

1 Like

Wow! the last post I made was just offering insight to what I heard with my friends dac that was on that list and I made sure that he and I both agreed with our findings. This is getting ridiculous now. If I were the moderator I would shut this damn thing down!!!

I’m finally feeling forced to chime into this La Brea Tar Pit of a thread.

I was going to say…

Paul, if you want to respond to this, I’d recommend offering that he can bring his DAC of choice to your digs, and you invite a group of folks who have audio chops to an extended listening session between his DAC and the DS. No quick A/B/X’ing. Just a day of good musical selections played on one, then the other, with the listeners not knowing which one is being played. Serve wine and hors d’orderves while you’re at it. Make a day of it. Ask the group (including Amir) which one they like better when all the listening is done.

But in reality…

This is a no-win situation. Even if you pick out the DS decisively, Amir will simply say you picked out a horrible measuring DAC because that’s what you think good sound is supposed to be. That’s what he’s really looking for - that you can be able to tell the difference. It will prove in his mind that a better measuring DAC must be better than the DAC that doesn’t measure as well, because it’s so obvious that the bad one doesn’t sound like the one that measures well. Even if you did what I suggest above, and the majority of people say they like the DS, he will likely report to his followers that it proved a group of so-called audiophiles couldn’t pick out a good DAC if their lives depended on it. It’s a setup.

I’m out of this thread. I feel like I have to take a shower.

4 Likes

It would be better if a panel of indifferent audiophiles would do the listening, as well as to set up the listening session.

Apart from that, this is a variant of the Ethan Winer Null Test challenge. Not interested.

I, too, am checking out of this forum thread. It’s become like listening to Fox News and CNN non-stop all day,

Folks, this seems too obvious. In my opinion there’s clearly a red flag and team of peeps with Shenzhen funding and with either interests or direct benefit to take down or cut the PS Audio brand. I would immediately cease engaging them. When money is being touted as nothing, that is a RED flag. Don’t dismiss them as trolls, more like paid company shills.

2 Likes

Yes. A few months ago, Stereophile published an article of an audio society comparing the Border Patrol DAC (which did not mesure well) to one that measured well (Mytek or Benchmark I think). Conclusion: they sounded different not better/worse. I happen to own a DAC that Amir said measured poorly and I like the way it sounds. As others have infered, Amir draws a straight line from measurements to sound quality, which is something I think smart audiophiles have walked away from decades ago.

Could you find and link to that study? I’d be interested in reading it.

Elk. Please shut this thing down, delete, or whatever you have to do.

Again…the Title was “My Apologies” to Paul, Darren, and everyone at PS Audio and owners of the SGCD, M700, S300, & Nu Wave owners. I got caught in trap and unfortunately this thread has gotten WAY OUT OF HAND.

1 Like

I am closing the topic. It is n ot serving the community any longer.

21 Likes