My first(1) post. LP since 60's now updating with budget limitations

I started as teen in 1965 with Zenith box with a handle.
Turntable folded down and speakers folded out or could be detached.
New Duo “Sonny & Cher” could be bought monaural or stereo for $1 more.
I now had STEREO so sprung for it. Still have both versions today.
Later got Frank Zappa with “Freak Out” to parent’s concerns.
Moved out in 1970 and wanted real stereo so Dynaco tube amp with Lenco L75 into KLH 32 loudspeakers.

Jump to 1980 and new home so acquired largest Kenwood rack with transcription turntable.

Then in 2008 when home was more settled replaced tower with Pioneer Elite VSX-74 and Bose AM16.

No vinyl made this iteration as CD and DVD were easier with occasional cassette tape for car.
Later got CD burner so cassette was short lived and car audio suffered until iPod made appearance as
Apple began to invade the music scene.

From late 1978 to 2008 I replace medium for Jeff Wayne “War of the Worlds” which still is my go to favorite since 1978 half speed vinyl and current Android ringtone.
Still in most recommended at HRAudio net top recommendations page 3 !

“The problem of course is the humans !”

This brings me to today’s question.
I just discovered PS Audio when the Elite died and I selected Denon AVR-S650H with vinyl input for
recently added AT LP-120XUSB turntable.
I have the WoTW (Jeff Wayne) on box set SACD which played on Pioneer DV-588A discrete analog into Elite multichannel input.

I may move the repaired 2008 system to garage space and update everything eventually but on a retired elder’s budget.
The $400 Deno AVR took a couple months to justify so that says $50 per week saving as long other hobbies don’t redirect this discretionary spending.

I may be asking here to others who spend $400 for a couples night out or tickets to an event but thought to try.

I can fix the Pioneer 74 to save investment and keep paired with the Bose AM 16 as I chose simpler
5.2 to be driver by the Denon AVR for Panasonic HDMI 1080p smart TV still worth keeping.

QUESTION:
What is budget way to listen to the WoTW SACD on Denon 5.2 and connected (or not) HDMI TV ?

1 Like

That’s funny :slight_smile:
Welcome, I’m another low budget person.
There are various players available (many second hand) - Sony blu ray players and the like, that can do a very good job I believe, and I hope that some folks with more experience of this will chime in here as they log on later (I’m in UK, so it’s already evening for me) and advise the best options.

Are you into modifying units yourself or are we talking stock units here?

Meantime - welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

I have a Sony BDP-S480, but I believe there are better ones, and also Oppo brand ones, second hand.
Me, I’m 2 ch stereo audio only, which is why I say others should chime in with more experience of the SACD and 5.1 AVR world.

Edit - Do check out the “Now Playing” thread too - let us know what you’re listening to and chock full of great suggestions from others - it’s my go to thread. Mk. 4 is nearly full but someone will be starting a Mk. 5 Now Playing thread any day now (threads are limited to 10,000 on this forum platform apparently).

Welcome! I got a Sony BDP-S570 BlueRay player that does SACD on Ebay for $65 shipped recently. It’s old and has limited output choices but it’ll do the job on the cheap. I have exactly 1 SACD so I thought the investment was reasonable, and it plays DVD’s and the like if I wanted to hook it up to the TV in my listening room.

1 Like

Welcome! I got a Sony BDP-S570 BlueRay player

No mention of 5.1 in Sony user manual from 2010 so I expect age and technology available then restricted the bandwidth and output to 2 channels.

I decided to download and read the Pioneer DV-588A manual and
may not need a new player just use analog stereo input initially until I find a box to do 5.1 conversion !

Connecting the multichannel analog outputs

If your AV receiver has 5.1 channel analog
inputs, we recommend connecting this player
to it using the multichannel analog outputs.