My review of the new P15 power regenerator

boy do i agree. best investment you can make

hi Bruno, did you have a P10 before or did you go from no power plant to the P15?

Hi Kent, the P15 is my first power plant, just used a Dectet before.
Going from the Dectet to the P15 has gained detail and another dimension in the music, like going from 2D to 3D.
I have had many improvements in detail in my journey of uprades but adding the P15 has made me realize how critical power is to our systems.
My timing was perfect when ordering the P15 as it was not even listed at that time and thought i was ordering a P10 so glad my order was not a month earlier as i hear the P15 is quite a bit better.

1 Like

my goodness you must be in audio heaven going from a Dectet to the P15. you may not sleep for a while.:smiley:
i went from a P10 and i found that dramatic. PS is the best in the biz and I for one, would not own another brand unless it was just something they did not make like speaker cable.

Also just installed the P15. Love it, I can really hear the improvement in clarity, broader soundstage, more precise positioning of voices and instruments. Who would have thought that ‘clean electricity’ would make such a difference in sound. It elevated my whole mid-range system a few notches up and it sounds quite awesome now to me (BlueSound Vault, Benchmark DAC3, Benchmark Amp, awesome little KEF LS50’s with some help from an SVS Ultra sub). Hm now what do I upgrade next…

1 Like

It is truly amazing how well these things work.

Enjoy!

hi, curious. were you using a PP before or is this your first time.

First time. Had an older surge protector / conditioner before (MonsterPower HTS 2600) but this P15 is a big step up in sound.

goodness you must really be hearing your system for the first time. i went from a P10 to a P15 and i was stunned. Going from what you had to the P15 is a humongous jump in sound quality. I bet you will have this thing forever.

As I was listening to Schumann this morning and appreciating just how good my P15 is I got to thinking about my M700s, also marvellous. They are tiny compared with the mighty P15 but tiny in size only, not in power and performance. But how about this? Why not harness the D-class amp as a power regenerator, reducing size, weight and complexity (and probably price) but producing lots of pure AC power. Are you working on something like this Paul?

We’ve tried in the past without success. The problem with class D amps is they haven’t much energy storage and they struggle with peak current demands. Their forte is efficient delivery of music but when it comes to dumping 50 amps for a short period of time they cannot keep up. It’s partly because of their need for an output filter. Something like this could be done, but not with commercially available platforms. We’d have to start from scratch and that’s a HUGE project mostly because the EMI and certifications of low noise are onerous and take skills we don’t currently have on staff.

1 Like

I had my P12 running now for several months. I like it only when, it outlets are let on that I use and the main power turned off. When on in either mode, sine or Multiwave the change in imaging and bloated bass and forward presentation is not natural at all… The Furman Reference 20i is as good if not better because it does not mess with the reproduction, just cuts the noise down.

I like the P12 but only when all unused outlets are shut off and the units off is used, then everything tightens up, vocals have definition and the bass now sounds more realistic and not bloated or over powering. Perhaps my front end gear is so good that the PS regenerator hinders it performance.

Like they say all power conditioners are a crap shoot. I even did the current upgrade download. Not sure I will sell it but it really does a disservice is the equipment we pay for. Messing with the power supplies of any gear that a designer, designed continues to prove to be filled with peril. Yes, it sounds different but not right, and that is the main thing.

I am sure I am not the only one who experienced this, and I know my system well and been in audio for over 35 years.

I might suggest that there’s a problem somewhere. PS Audio would be hard pressed to sell even one of these if it was a platform problem. I have the previous generation P5 and it absolutely sings, powering BHK Pre, DSD, PW Transport and a WOO WA5-LE Headphone amp. It’s effect on music is immediate and positive even when changing modes.

just a guess, but maybe the amp is too powerful and draws too much current. try running your entire system except the amp with the P12. i now use two BHK mono block amps and the P20 never even breaks a sweat.

Not running an amp, only a preamp and cd player that is it, using a PS Audio best power cord also to power the unit. It as not issues with current or over land it is the effect on gear connected to it. It changes the sound to where it is bloated and pushed forward. When powered off with the 2 outlets left on all the time it sounds much better. There must be a reason for it to sound better then powered down and all the used outlets are off. My guess is the regeneration is working but all the multiwave and sinewave are out of the circuit.

Have you tried different cables? Some cables can impact music pretty drastically. I would start with the mains cable first and swap them out and listen.

Going to check my 2 sub-levels, that might be the issue, with the bass impact increase it might be coloring my mid-range. Never thought of that. It does not take much.

Using Quad speakers with all C-Mar’s except power cords which I use various, PS AC-12 for the P12 and Luxman JPA 1500 for my Luxman C800F preamp and Marantz SA-10 SACD player (Superb for floating grounds like these two-piece, and for the McIntosh amp I’ve found the Pangea 9SEMkii as good as any but someday I might purchase an AC-12 power cord for the McIntosh.

Checked my subs, and yep the volume knobs somehow got moved up a bit, the issue with the sub is the knobs move very easy, just a slight touch of them, I back them off to where they were and see how things sound. If the mids clear up and the bloated is gone I will be very happy.

I have around 0.8% in and 0.1% out and I hear a BIG difference so it’s not that.
I don’t think that anyway.

Phillyb what all do you have plugged in to your P12