Name a performer you love

Bria Skonberg, she is a amazing trumpet player and singer. Just heard her last weekend live in Tulsa, Oklahoma.

1 Like

Awfully tough on the eyes though :wink:

1 Like

For sure! A real house frog. :wink:

1 Like

Daaaaamn. DAAAAAAAAMN.

You mean “Bria Skonberg”?

1 Like

My favorite of all time…

Phil Collins, either solo, in Genesis, in Brand X, and even WAAAY BACK in Flaming Youth. He just simply kicks ass.

3 Likes

Some cool recommendations in here.

Luis Salinas. ‘Ahí va’ or mostly anything by the self-taught Argentinian guitarist.

Yeah, I meant Bria Skonberg. The silly auto correct got me again.

Chris Connor. Her voice is liquid silk. Every time I play her album Sings Lullabys of Birdland I am startled at the clarity of her voice. Unreal.

Kermit Ruffins

Kermit

He was the founding member of The Rebirth Brass Band, played live at Vaughan’s Lounge every Thursday night for years, current owner of the Mother-In-Law Lounge, and exudes the New Orleans spirit I love.

He may not be the greatest trumpet player or singer but makes up for it with a love for his city’s music and general happiness. Hang out after a show, share a Bud Light and some herb, and he’ll spend an hour asking you about your life. He’s five foot tall with a six foot tall, beautiful, wife and has a giant heart. He’s the real deal!

1 Like

That Flaming Youth track on “Plays Well With Others” is…something.

I did enjoy the bit in the liner notes where he noted that he wasn’t especially proud of some of that stuff he did in the 70s because some of it was pretty dodgy.

But yes. He’s an amazing man.

“One almost never sees voluntary self-restraint. Everybody operates at the extreme limit of the legal frames.” - Alexander Solzhenitsyn

1 Like

Listening now and New Orleans sound. We Partyin Traditional Style… Chinatown spinning…

Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it. Do not count on them. Leave them alone - Ayn Rand; Russian authors for $100.

See, that’s what I get for responding from my email. Signatures… :wink:

Although Solzhenitsyn is something…

I’ve been immersed in Anne Applebaum’s “Gulag” for the past month. It’s sobering to say the least, heartbreaking to further understate it. Old Cold Warriors never stop trying to understand old enemies I suppose.

1 Like

All good, having fun and that is a great quote by a great author. I read the gulag archipelago… many, many years ago…

1 Like

Ayn Rand - Anthem is a great book on the state and rugged individualism.

Laura Mvula - who wouldn’t

1 Like

Gulag Archipelago, at least the unabridged version, has become a lot more challenging to find. Hell, a lot of Winston Churchill’s works are out of print here in the US today. I’ve taken to buying good, acid-free editions of stuff like Catch-22, Fahrenheit 451, Brave New World, and that ilk just to have them for my kids down the road. My best friend gave me a complete vintage collection of Sir Winston’s WW II history for Christmas. Can’t wait to dig into those.

Does that make me a prepper?

My son wants me to dig into Ayn Rand. She’s on my list.

Oh, and as the OP on the topic, I should make a recommendation.

Over the Rhine, pretty much anything. I’d recommend “Drunkard’s Prayer” or “Ohio” as great places to start. If you prefer a jazzier album, go for “The Trumpet Child”. They also have a new album coming out next month titled “Love & Revelation”.

1 Like

I’ve read every book she wrote and she was amazing. It’s been so many years since reading her books. I should pick them up again. They have a pod cast about her Objectivism epistemology. Leonard Pinkoff heads that up I believe, been a while. The virtue of selfishness is one of my favorites… We the living… another… of course, Who is John Gault… that is a great line…

1 Like