NAS direct to Sprout

Loving my Sprout I’m using this mainly with headphones and with some Frugal Horns ,anyway to my question can I use a suitable Synology NAS direct into the Sprout via usb and using an android device to control the NAS ?

Thanks in advance Oscar

I think not, you need music server software on the NAS to organise the music, and a streamer to fire it at the Sprout. Others may suggest better solutions.

I agree. You would need something like minimserver on the NAS and a device that connects the two and has a player.

Computer Audiophile has posted a couple DIY devices that should work. Here is the latest http://www.computeraudiophile.com/how-is-ted-coding-the-fpgaent/638-geek-speak-raspberry-pi-hifi-here/

You can get the parts from the sources that are linked on the site or Amazon or other vendors. The hardest thing about the kits is loading the disk image onto the micro SD card, and that’s pretty easy (harder on a Mac than a PC but I’ve done it both ways).

I haven’t built this one but I did assemble the BeagleBone Black version that you will fined a couple of pages in from the home page. It connects by Ethernet cable to your home network (the Raspberry Pi version can do wi-fi too) and then to the DAC by USB. You would also need control point software on an iDevice or Android. I use mine with a Mac running JRiver MC and JRemote on an iPad. JRMC cannot be installed on a server but minimserver can and works well; I don’t like the control point options for minimserver (there are many and I have not tried them all) as much as JRemote (which only works with JRMC). BubbleUPnP works well with minimserver on Android devices.

There is a MinimServer version for Synology NAS units. You can control it from your PC using MinimWatch. It is a very configurable music server that works well. I use MinimServer on my HP MicroServer running Ubuntu. You can run multiple versions - handy for big libraries, and you can transcode on the fly. I store in FLAC but play in WAV, with the benefit of full tagging and album art from the FLAC files.

Looks like I should be able to to use the Synology AudioStation app and run it straight to the usb on the Sprout , I’ve not got the nas yet but thats one reason I’m looking at the synology ones as if it does work direct to the sprout thats one less thing to worry about I’ll keep you updated once I get the nas.

oscarsaudio said Looks like I should be able to to use the Synology AudioStation app and run it straight to the usb on the Sprout , I've not got the nas yet but thats one reason I'm looking at the synology ones as if it does work direct to the sprout thats one less thing to worry about I'll keep you updated once I get the nas.
I've tried this and unfortunately it didn't work. The catch seems to be that the NAS doesn't recognize the sprout as a USB device. This is slightly irritating since the NAS does recognize other USB sound devices (they have a list of supported renderers) and my Linux laptop does recognize the Sprout and can play to it no problems. Adding an extra device shouldn't be necessary but I've failed to educate my Synology NAS about the Sprout. Synology forums also haven't been helpful.

Update on this , it works !! Synology DS110J using the synology audio station , usb cable from NAS to sprout and settings to usb speakers .

Now I’ve just got to rip the rest of my cd’s .