Brothers and sisters - As it happens, a tube in my Signature preamp blew and, according to the technician who examined my unit, it did so because it had reached the end of its life. There is nothing wrong with the preamp, so now all I have to do is replace its two ECC88 tubes with new ones. Easy but now I have to make a purchase decision based on zero tube knowledge. Could someone help me out by responding to some basic questions? (My amp is a Signature 250.)
- I would spend around $150/tube if it were necessary, but would there be an sonic or life-span difference between it and a $20 tube?
- Does the manufacturer of an ECC88 tube make the tube any better or worse?
- I’ve read that I could replace the two ECC88 tubes with two 6DJ8 tubes without making any adjustments to the preamp. Is that absolutely true?
- If a 6DJ8 is 100% interchangeable with an ECC88, would its cost or manufacturer make a sonic or life-cycle difference?
- Is there a best place from which I could order the tubes?
As much as I know about music I know as little about tubes. Thank you all in advance for helping me out!
- Brother Jim