Need information of Magnepan and prices

As i understand , the LRS is a new model upgrade of 0.7, or i’m wrong?
how is the sound of LRS vs 0.7?
Can you give some words on the comparision?

The LRS isn’t a new model upgrade of the .7. It’s a completely separate model that was intended to be something of a loss leader to get people into the Maggie market. Kind of a “sampler” if you will, though many audiophiles find it’s all the Maggie they need, due to their listening preferences and the size of their room. If it can be said to be a new upgrade of anything, it would be the old MMG.

From Magnepan’s website:

LRS - “The LRS (Little Ribbon Speaker) is a full-range quasi-ribbon speaker that was designed from the ground up to give you a pretty good idea what to expect from the 20.7 or 30.7.”

.7 - “So, we down-sized the 1.7 and called it the ‘.7’. It was that simple. Most all of what you read about the 1.7 applies to the .7. Ok, not everything. Because the .7 has a smaller bass diaphragm, it has less ‘bite on the air.’ Consequently, the bass will be less than the 1.7 if you wish to use it in a larger room. However, the DWM Bass Panel can be used to supplement the bass. The .7 offers full-range, quasi-ribbon technology at a price that some audiophiles spend for speaker cables. Value is what Magneplanars are all about. For those that have followed the ‘i’ upgrades of the 3.7 and 1.7, the improvements of the 3.7i and 1.7i were incorporated into the .7.”

All of their models share a signature sound profile. The biggest difference in the LRS, .7 and 1.7i is probably going to be bass, just because of the difference in the size of their diaphragms (though my dealer is adamant that the 1.7i projects a larger sweet spot than the .7, too).

2 Likes

thank you very much. i appreciate the explain.
for the starter of magnepan like me the LRS with curent Rel T7i can be a good start, driving by the M700 + SGCD right?

the more reading on internet, the more urging me to try this LRS.
btw:

with this picture, can we do bi-wire the LRS by removinhg the jumper then connect as bi-wire normaly ?
920mag.bac

I don’t think bi-wiring is possible. That jumper is for damping the tweeter, I think. Can use a resistor instead of the jumper.

2 Likes

got it

I think the combination of the LRS, M700s, SGCD and your REL has the potential to be wonderful, unless you’re in a large room. Then it would probably depend on the kind of music you like to play and the volume at which you play it. If you get a pair, be prepared to spend some time fine-tuning the speakers’ positions. After getting them sufficient current, I’ve found placement to be the primary key to getting the most out of a pair of Maggies.

And I’m pretty sure @terzinator is correct that the LRS is not bi-wireable. That extra pair of posts is for inserting a resistor to tame the tweeter panel if needed.

3 Likes

Well, I just talked to Peter in WonderfulSound ( Magnepan’s dealer) in Bay Area that not far from my Relative house in San Jose to order the pair of LRS custom for fabric and trim ( all are off-white with alunimium fabric). However it could be 6 months pending due to the shortage of parts. Just wait for now.

I couldn’t tell from your post if you placed the order and now you’re waiting, or if you’re going to wait before ordering in the hope that the wait time will come down. If the latter, I’d suggest going ahead and ordering them now. Wait times are not going to decrease in the foreseeable future, IMO. Magnepan has had a glut of LRS orders for 2-3 years now. I’ve known people who’ve waited 8-10 months for their LRSs to be delivered. That’s one of the reasons I never considered them myself. I already knew the brand well (I had MG-1s for twenty years), and had a chance to hear some .7s. My dealer had them in stock, so I was able to get them right away. He only had black with oak trim, but that was fine with me.

3 Likes

Could you direct message to me your dealer which has the Magnepan in stock please ?

PM sent.

1 Like

Got the quotation from a dealer at SF, the LRS is not available, just only .7 model with 3 months waiting. One thing that, the dealer has no website for online order, they just work via email and phone only, just call them to get the price include tax and shipping, then do payment via CC or Paypal.
Is that good to proceed the order ? I would like to do Paypal to have the money back warranty in case of issues.
The .7 is $2030 include tax and ship (there is no .7s)
Any advise please?
Thanks

Thank you

Hi @leean overseas sales must be Tax / VAT / GST exempt. You pay shipping and then your local import duties / taxes.

1 Like

Hi @davidnapo I’ve been listening to my Maggies happy as a clam. A buddy came over toed them in 1" each and wo-la! an even more coherent sound assembly. Looking at your ceiling height, guess a little less than 8’?

Consider getting 2 of these 24"x48" ceiling mount bass traps for $197 a pair.

The 3.7i’s have fantastic bass performance, but the room’s ceiling height is sucking out the bass 60-90hz. After treatment, I bet you even consider ditching the bass panels.

Just something to think about.

I know, i just need to get them shipped to San Jose where my brother there, then he will ship to me by the cargo air services , i can “work” with the custom overhere for less import tax

Magnepan is the strangest little company. They think they’re good at marketing and actually terrible at it. They presently have 4 employees last I heard due to covid and the company’s own restrictions. They are also months backordered.

For all the peculiarity, the products are worth the wait.

1 Like

Hi @leean if you’re patient, a pair of .7’s or 1.6QR’s will appear in Craigslist for the Bay Area or USA Audio Mart

https://www.usaudiomart.com/search.php?keywords=magnepan+.7

1 Like

NordicDave, that’s an interesting thought on room treatment. The ceiling is 7’. If the builder had just used a row or two more of block. Before the Magnepans I had a pair of Kef 105/3s in that room. They sounded great. I packed everything up, finished the basement, set the system back up the the sounded terrible. No real bass impact to speak of. I assumed something was wrong with something in the equipment. I had everything I could think of looked at, speakers, crossovers, amps, etc. Everything was performing as expected on the bench. Then I started the major equipment change, starting with the Magnepans, added the DWMs, new amps, P12, replaced the CD player twice, pretty much a complete new system. In spite of that, there are still times when the system can come off as bright. The deep bass is really strong but the mid bass that gives you the impact and slam may be lacking.

About your suggestion to add bass traps, how would something that traps bass improve weak bass? I’m a little confused about that. Before finishing the basement it had a drop ceiling, similar to the one in the picture. The walls were concrete block and the floor was those old, stick down tiles. The room was also wider prior to finishing it. The book case in the picture on the left side is a dividing wall that reduced the room from 26’ wide to 16’ wide. I’ve been blaming my demons on the narrower room and the carpet and drywall. If a couple of those panels hung from the ceiling reduces standing waves or something like that, I’d be more than willing to spend a couple hundred dollar to improve the sound. I’m just missing something on how it’s supposed to help. Can you explain?

That suggests they’re actually good at marketing, or they don’t need it at all. :wink:

Correct. Any use of the “s” in this thread was only intended to denote plural, as in “I have a pair of .7s.”

1 Like