New Deutsche Grammophon vinyl series 100% All Analogue

Anyone heard of this, new upcoming all analogue cuts from Deutsche Grammophon called The Original Source Series.

Being mastered and cut by Emil Berlinner Studios who are really going to long lengths to make stellar presses, looks really promising.

Diverse Künstler | News | Futuristic Retro: The Original Source Series (deutschegrammophon.com)

4 titles available for pre order now with release around 2nd June (it appears some have already sold out and they were only listed yesterday I think!!!), apparently 12 will be issued over this year.

Deutsche Grammophon - der offizielle Shop - DG Original Source

The lead engineer of Emil Berlinner Studios worked under Kevin Gray for a while, so she has quite some pedigree, her name is Sydney Claire Meyer

Emil Berliner Studios | Emil Berliner Studios (emil-berliner-studios.com)

1 Like

:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Ah, congrats, I knew I was late to the party :slight_smile:

@Elk apologies, could we merge this?

I just checked; 3 of the first 4 releases are already sold out!

It’s interesting that they all completely miscalculate the first time.

The consolation is that classical recordings from almost every other label sound better (recording wise) than DG recordings, with very few exceptions, and that there are enough good or better interpretations available.

Aside of that, I guess they will reprint.

So true.

Some of my most listened to albums (now digital only) are on DG recorded from the 1960’s forward and a majority sound bright, over-miked, hard and even brittle) Same era recordings from Decca and EMI, for example, are startlingly good.

Yes, I never cared for DG CDs when they started coming out, but I’m hoping these recordings may be something better than what I’ve heard in the past.

1 Like

Well after I listened to several symphonic DG reissues I have and saw that at least 2-3 of them sounded very good, I pulled the trigger to try 3 of the new ones (leaving out the trout quartet which I don’t like).

1 Like

I’ve ordered these. I remember discussing them with Jimmy Hughes, I recall him saying they were the first recordings DGG did in the USA and the went all out to do the best they possibly could, BSO in Symphony Hall was an obvious choice, and they pretty much succeeded. The Hindemith disc is an exceptional recording.

2 Likes

Yes, I ordered all of the lastest batch…seemed interesting also by the interpretation related reviews.

Very rare for me to buy any classical reissues. Was thinking about the Gilels. I have enough to listen to!

I also have the Gilels, his playing is unique. What you must buy is the Berlioz/Ozawa. Interpretation and sound is essential.

The Gilels sonatas are on the Devialet issue of live recordings at the Concertgebouw. Ironically his last recording of his incomplete cycle was the op. 106, a digital recording released simultaneously on CD and vinyl. I went to the London recital and bought the CD. I was already a convert! So it won’t be in these reissues. I think there was at least one other digital recording in the cycle.

I will order the one you recommended.

Related:

1 Like