Wagner ~ der ring des nibelungen

Hello;

I like very much the Solti edition and i feel the best digital version out there, is the esoteric dsd edition!

I wonder what you consider the best?
What are your thoughts of the different editions?

What about the vinyl versions?

I see the first vinyls release of Solti was form 1967 then the other years (according to discogs) are 1970, 1973, 1974 and 1981;

is extrange no modern lp box set version exist :flushed:

Good night everybody;

I have the Esoteric version and it’s gorgeous, surely the best digital.

I also have the two Superanalogue Vinyl Boxes (very rare and even more gorgeous).But there’s only Rheingold, Walkure and Tristan available from Superanalogue, not the whole Solti Ring.

1 Like

Great I can not find info of these new remasters

Which edition are the One you like Most?

Regards

I like the Superanalogue Solti vinyl and the Testament vinyl box of Keilberth most (just put Siegfried on the turntable)…the Keilberth is a Bayreuth recording, one of the earliest stereo recordings and it transports (besides the music) every creaking of the stage floor into your listening room…gorgeous even though it sounds a little vintage compared to modern recordings (better in some, worse in some other regards, but extremely immediate and live). You just can’t compare the digital Keilberth version to the Testament vinyl reissues unfortunately. It’s a must have for me.

But although I have several more digital Ring editions, I’d go for the Esoteric Solti when digital in case you like the Solti performance. I’m really a fan of most Esoteric remasterings (they often sound better than the standard vinyl editions) and the Ring is one of the great ones. Sound quality (for the recording era) and performance are first class.

If you ask me for the very best sounding of several digital published interpretations, I’d have to take a listen at a later time.

1 Like

Forgot to say you probably won’t find the Superanalogue vinyl anymore and if you do it costs a few hundred for each box...also the Testament Ring n vinyl was over 600 new and now is probably more expensive. So even the expensive Esoteric SACD’s are a bargain in comparison :wink:

1 Like

Interesting stuff, i wll check these vinyls latter, and see how many are AAA :smiley:

I understand i feel pure analoge AAA is better for this recording, i Hope then i find Old stuff then, before the dac digital vinyl era.

I’m sorry, I didn’t understand what you mean by analogue DDD and DAC digital vinyl era

Edit: I saw you edited DDD to AAA…makes more sense now :wink:

1 Like

My memory is Old nowdays :joy:

I listen right now the esoteric sacd wow great sound !!

1 Like

I now also have the new Decca Hires Remaster of the Solti Ring and it’s much better sounding than the Esoteric. It sounds very much in immediacy like the original Decca LP which I also have besides the Superanalogue LP‘s.

The original,LP box sounds best but rarely clean enough near runout groove unless you find a mint one, the Supeanalogue LPs don’t have the full immediacy and transients of the original,LP and the new digital remaster but still more flow, ease and souvereignty than the digital one and also more weight than both (depending on the setup it can be too much), but the new Decca digital edition is very good, easily beats the Esoteric.

So since the new one is out, if you want to buy a digital version, go for this one. There are also LP’s of this remaster but I doubt the Abbey Road digital half speed remaster it’s worth it.

Unfortunately everything’s a compromise in immediacy, transients, dynamics, flow, ease and/or weight. The only compromise of the original LP’s is traceability near the end of the record.

The problem I have with the new digital version is that I can’t listen through it although it sounds great…something isn’t right in flow. That’s a point where the DSD transferred Esoteric is better…but it doesn’t sound as good as the new PCM remaster.

Interesting. I was looking at this release. Any thought on what might be behind your feeling?

It’s just the difference between analog and digital, getting more relevant with music that is sensible to ease and flow. Someone who only listens digital can buy it without a problem.

In the absence of perfect comparisons I’m not a strong proponent in the DSD vs. PCM debate, but this is something where I consider DSD transfers or recordings better than PCM.

This new remastered cycle seems vastly superior. I’ve only heard Rheingold but it makes previous Solti releases unnecessary for listening, in my mind.

2 Likes

Yes, definitely the best digital release. What a pity DSD is not more popular in the studios, at least for the tape transfer.

1 Like

There’s a four page piece in the November 2022 Gramophone magazine detailing the remastering process of this new version.

And, for the fanatic, I recommend watching the documentary of the making of Solti’s Ring cycle “The Golden Ring.”

Wagner The Golden Ring

I agreed i have this release also; i styck to this one because i have selected the tracks i like, so i dont need to go all sacd of the esoteric;

ps.until a dsd 256 transfers is made ~

The complete Ring SACD’s have a May ‘23 release date from Decca…

only 2 is release in pcm now

https://www.qobuz.com/us-en/album/wagner-das-rheingold-wiener-philharmoniker/tlofaehjdqwbb

https://www.qobuz.com/us-en/album/wagner-die-walkure-wiener-philharmoniker/tmt68re82e6rc

i guess the other parts are coming this or next year

Thanks, will try to get this article!

Oh if they only did the transfer in DSD and made the LP‘s AAA or DSDAA and not in Showell‘s usual digital PCM half speed manner.

But I might buy at least one LP set to see how it compares and how much better it sounds than the 24/192 files and how they reach the original LP‘s.

In the article was described that they listened to the original LP‘s and tried to make them the benchmark. This seems to be possible quite good in tonality, except for the lacking ease and mids of DSD transfers and AAA LP’s. If they would have had a vinyl monitoring setup, that shows the 3-D of the originals, they would have recognized, that they can’t fully achieve this with PCM, or even digital remasterings generally.

But it seems unfortunately we now have to live with this. Classical AAA remasterings are an absolute rarity meanwhile, even Fremer tunes people into having to live with it, Chad assumes he won’t make classical AAA releases anymore for foreseeable time due to the pressing capacity shortages and DSD is not used widely enough, Abbey Road studios unfortunately are stuck on PCM for convenience reasons, so the treasures will have more loss than necessary.

It will be really interesting if the LP‘s of this remasterings are the way to go compared to the original LP‘s and their superiority but slight dynamic weakness and condition based possible tracking limitations, or compared to the 2 Superanalogue AAA transfers from tube mastered Dolby dupes. I have them all, so I can report later what I’d end up playing through for some time and not only choose within a few seconds direct comparison…that will be the interesting part.

Unfortunately, none of Showell’s hires PCM half speed LP remasterings of pop/rock recordings I tried so far reached their originals or other AAA remasters somehow close. They were always good old digitally detailed but comparably flat and cold sounding.