New DMP reviews (not Beta)

George Moneo said
Frode said You are not accidentally using another IR Remote when the mute occurs? Sometimes other product's IR code might interfere with some IR functions elsewhere and creates utter confusion.

No, only the new PS Audio remote*. The Oppo remote is the only other one I use. However, you bring up an interesting point. Could a streaming device like an AppleTV (or the wireless dongle on the Oppo) cause this? Would that cause interference? I don’t think so, but I’m at a loss…

(*The new remote control is awesome. The old DS DAC remote is in the bin of forgotten devices.)

As long as it is IR one can never be sure, but isn’t Apple TV bluetooth?

I have experienced jamming on several occasions, also from 3D TV goggles emitter. Try putting a piece of tape over the DS IR receiver for a start and see what happens or try your other remotes. You may also record the IR code or look it up.

Frode said Try putting a piece of tape over the DS IR receiver . . .
A simple, great idea!
Frode said

As long as it is IR one can never be sure, but isn’t Apple TV bluetooth? I have experienced jamming on several occasions, also from 3D TV goggles emitter. Try putting a piece of tape over the DS IR receiver for a start and see what happens or try your other remotes. You may also record the IR code or look it up.

AppleTV (Gen 4) is both WiFi and Bluetooth. Although I have Bluetooth turned off. I'll try it. Something's gotta be causing it. I'll put it out of service if it's the cause. No biggie.

Currently spinning:

Delicious. Next up, Daphnis.

The wife got caught up on a three-hour conference call last night so my listening session was cancelled. But…

I’m listening to Daphnis right now. I’m impressed.

Addendum at 19:23 EST: The first thing that comes to mind is that everything just sounds… right. Can’t describe it better. Everything that’s there is there. Lots of fine detail I’m hearing, little things that remind you of a live performance. Bass is truly impressive; the Oppo never achieved this, as good as it is. Not exaggerated, just… right. Paul & Co. have really done something here. More later.

George Moneo said

I’m listening to Daphnis right now. I’m impressed.

The BSO Munch recording SACD is strangely affordable at Amazon. But wasn’t that recorded at a time when dinosaurs roamed the earth, played from scores carved in stone tablets? Such is the case with many of the offerings from that same series. The performances are no doubt fabulous, but how can they be so great technically as to serve as reference for digital sound quality? Pardon my primitive state of knowledge in these matters; I am scarcely out of the trees.

Nobo said
George Moneo said I'm listening to Daphnis right now. I'm impressed.

The BSO Munch recording SACD is strangely affordable at Amazon. But wasn’t that recorded at a time when dinosaurs roamed the earth, played from scores carved in stone tablets? Such is the case with many of the offerings from that same series. The performances are no doubt fabulous, but how can they be so great technically as to serve as reference for digital sound quality? Pardon my primitive state of knowledge in these matters; I am scarcely out of the trees.

My dear sir, I take umbrage at your ageism! That recording was made one year prior to my birth… Dinosaurs, indeed!

No mystery here: it’s a fantastic analog recording that received its due in DSD. If DSD is the reference standard it’s supposed to be – and I’m 100% convinced it is – then any great analog remastering will indubitably sound as close to the original as this technology can make it.

This is, far and way, the best I’ve ever heard this SACD. And, this is my fourth (and maybe last) SACD player/transport I’ve owned…

George Moneo said I'm listening to Daphnis right now. I'm impressed. Lots of fine detail I'm hearing, little things that remind you of a live performance.
Excellent. What I really enjoy is the timbrel texture and complexity, coupled with microdynamic changes one hears with expressively playing. Subtle, but so critical for it to sound real.
Nobo said The performances are no doubt fabulous, but how can they be so great technically as to serve as reference for digital sound quality?
A more than reasonable question.

Sound recording technology has always been far, far ahead of playback and this remains the case. For example, many of the microphones used at the time are still used and revered for their sound quality. Analog tape also sounds fabulous. Consider what the DMP has done for the playback of 1980’s CD technology.

I just finished listening to Daphnis.

I’ve played this disc on my two Marantz SACD players, on a cheap Sony, on my Oppo and now on the DMP. It’s no contest. The level of detail this sucker has pulled out of the disc is mind-blowing. At one point during the last track, the castanets were right in the center, at the back of the orchestra. I’ve never heard that staging until tonight.

Bravo to Paul, Ted, and the engineering team at PS Audio.

(And I haven’t even heard a CD yet…)

Fritz Reiner’s CSO recording of Bartok’s Concerto for Orchestra is next…

Elk said
Frode said Try putting a piece of tape over the DS IR receiver . . .

A simple, great idea!

An inelegant solution, but it seems to be working. Not a single MUTE incident tonight, with almost 2 hours of listening.

Excellent! Now to figure out what is triggering it.

Elk said Excellent! Now to figure out what is triggering it.
Agree.

My ‘tape’ idea was only meant as an intermediate step in order to troubleshoot and diagnose the problem.

For a permanent fix one need to find the root cause and remedy it.

Frode said

Agree. My ‘tape’ idea was only meant as an intermediate step in order to troubleshoot and diagnose the problem. For a permanent fix one need to find the root cause and remedy it.

Yeah, I know. I just haven’t had the time. But at least my listening has not been interrupted. And what listening!

I have a feeling I know what it is. I think it’s related to my AppleTV; I’ve had it in my system since 2013, connected to my Oppo. Unfortunately, the problem is so random that it’s hard to pinpoint.

George Moneo said
Frode said Agree. My 'tape' idea was only meant as an intermediate step in order to troubleshoot and diagnose the problem. For a permanent fix one need to find the root cause and remedy it.
Yeah, I know. I just haven't had the time. But at least my listening has not been interrupted. And what listening!

I have a feeling I know what it is. I think it’s related to my AppleTV; I’ve had it in my system since 2013, connected to my Oppo. Unfortunately, the problem is so random that it’s hard to pinpoint.

I don't want to crash your party but I am reluctant to accept your theory because the ATV is Bluetooth and Wifi/IP control and not Infrared. Do you believe that the Bridge gets ATV control commands via LAN or via your Oppo? I am not sure about your ATV connection to your 'Oppo' though.

The Oppo BDP-105 has two HDMI inputs: one in front (which is MHL-enabled) and one in the back. The one in the back is where the ATV is connected. I occasionally plug a Roku stick in the front input. But the ATV is the only constant in my system since I bought the Oppo in 2013: first an ATV Gen 3, and now a Gen 4. (I bought the Gen 4 mainly for the Berlin Philharmonic app as I was not pleased with how it looked in the Oppo. It looks terrific in the ATV 4.)

I never had a MUTE issue using the 105 standalone, only when the 105 was connected to the DS DAC via coax. The router (also wireless) is in the same room so the DS DAC (and now the DMP) are connected directly from my router using decent quality 8-meter AudioQuest Ethernet cables. The Oppo was previously connected with one of those Ethernet cables; it now uses the wireless dongle attached to the USB input in the back.

I have three remotes: the Oppo, the ATV, and now the DMP (formerly the DS DAC). And my iPhone, of course. It’s not a complicated rig.

What you say is 100% correct. I have Bluetooth turned OFF on the ATV4 so it’s only WiFi. Yet the MUTE phenomenon is real. It’s random. It’s annoying. It’s bizarre. Is it interference with the jumble of radio signals that are in my room? I can’t explain it, but it’s there.

One last unrelated note: I may already have a buyer for my Oppo in mid January and I’m seriously considering selling it. I’m going to do a lot of listening over the next two weeks. I’ll miss the Blu-ray Audios, but I don’t have enough of them to justify it in my system. They are all repeats. Redbook CDs sounded fantastic from the Oppo to the DS DAC. If they sound as good I think they will with DS DAC/DMP combo, then this is a final purchase as far I’m concerned. The Oppo is just taking up space. The King is dead. Long live the King!

My playlist for this evening:

IMG_8639.jpg

I’m listening to the Basie now.

Holy crap! I’m truly blown over…

(P.S., I’ve lost my SACD of Miles’s Kind of Blue. I’m bummed.)

George Moneo said (P.S., I've lost my SACD of Miles's Kind of Blue. I'm bummed.)
Even worse, you now have to figure out which of the many editions, pressings, versions you want to replace it.
Elk said
George Moneo said (P.S., I've lost my SACD of Miles's Kind of Blue. I'm bummed.)

Even worse, you now have to figure out which of the many editions, pressings, versions you want to replace it.

It sucks. I know it’s in here. I just have to dig and dig and dig.

George Moneo said
Elk said

It sucks. I know it’s in here. I just have to dig and dig and dig.

A Christmas miracle: I found it this morning! And it sounds glorious…

:slight_smile: !

I have been listening to my DMP for several days now. It replaced my early release PS Transport that had outlived its useful life. It was no longer functional with issues opening to receive or eject discs. I was also intrigued by Paul’s posts and the demonstrated technical improvements in reading, decoding and replaying digital data. I am not disappointed, indeed the DMP is a very worthy improvement on its predecessor.

My comments: The DMP appears a bit brighter, the sound stage so far is less deep, but taller, about as wide, but the music is much more natural, nuanced, detailed, and lifelike. Perhaps it is more technical and digital. It seems more dry, but so is my room. I t feels more clean, but so is the room. When I close my eyes in a darkened room, it is hard to imagine that music can sound better than this, and that includes multiple recent small concerts in intimate settings, sitting not more than two dozen feet away from world class musicians. It is wonderful to attend great live concerts, but it is difficult to feel while listening to the DMP that you are missing anything. The sound is stunningly beautiful. Thank you.

PS5 Power, B&W 802D, REL 5, McIntosh 2500 tube pre and MC402 amp, JE Michel turntable, Sumiko blackbird, Audioquest and PS cables, Direcstream DAC and DMP and other fun stuff