New foobar2000 foo_input_sacd 0.9.x - no need for ASIO

If you like experimenting:

There’s a new foo_input_sacd at https://sourceforge.net/projects/sacddecoder/files/foo_input_sacd/ - 0.9.x that can do DoP over WASAPI, DS, etc. and doesn’t need the ASIO proxy.

In 0.9.9, and forward the bugs from the earlier 0.9.x versions with editing metadata not persisting and with waveform seekbar getting too short of results have been fixed.

With it there’s a bigger list of possible output methods in preferences/playback/output/device, the ones with DSD at their beginnings do DoP when DSD is being played. The preferences/tools/SACD is the same as it was (well it has a new option.) Selecting “DSD : ASIO : PS Audio USB Driver” as your output should act like using “ASIO : foo_dsd_asio” but you don’t need that ASIO proxy anymore.

To get smooth playback with “DSD : WASAPI (event)” as my output I had to change the WASAPI hardware buffer sizes to 1000 MS in the preferences/advanced/playback/WASAPI/Hardware buffer in … mode This is probably specific to my setup.

It may be my imagination but when I used DSD: WASAPI in event mode the output audio seemed a little harsher than using 0.8.4 and the ASIO proxy. What do you guys hear?

[edited for > 0.9.9 versions]

Did you change your output device to one with “DSD” at the beginning? You don’t need any other plugins with the 0.9.x versions of foo_input_sacd.

[Edit] I should have explicitly mentioned that the system’s volume setting might affect the output and tromp the DoP output flags. Make sure that the windows sound control panel for the PS Audio devices has the level at 100, the balance at 100, 100 in the Levels page, has all enhancements off in the Enhancements page, and has the “Allow … exclusive…” and “Give exclusive…” options checked in the Advanced page.

foobar2000’s volume setting doesn’t matter and it doesn’t matter whether replay gain is being used.

I don’t have a Bridge hooked up right now, but I wouldn’t be surprised if the new foo_input_sacd doesn’t output via the UPnP renderer. It just got rid of the need for using an ASIO proxy to get DoP over the “normal” outputs: I.e. it let you use other output options besides ASIO to foo_dsd_asio.

Ted Smith said I don't have a Bridge hooked up right now, but I wouldn't be surprised if the new foo_input_sacd doesn't output via the UPnP renderer. It just got rid of the need for using an ASIO proxy to get DoP over the "normal" outputs: I.e. it let you use other output options besides ASIO to foo_dsd_asio.
Your speculation regarding the Bridge is right on the money, Ted. I'm listening to some native DSF files right now streamed via Foobar2000 to the Bridge in my DS DAC. It's received as DoP and sounds quite nice, actually.

Thanks for the thought.

This is really cool! It’s great to play DSD and ISO files over the Bridge and to not have to switch to the USB output.

There’s a new 0.9.9 version out : I updated the first post in this thread to refer to it. I’ve been using it for a couple of days with both the DS and the DS Jr. Having a wider selection of outputs means you can send DoP to anything that looks like an output driver (since I don’t use them I’ll leave any specific names out.)

I will try it out today. Thanks