New HDMI Fiber Optic cables

I have tried a couple of them optical HDMI cables too and they won´t work with DSD dac i2s.
But if you want the best picture go for Ruipro. https://www.ruipro.com/

1 Like

From my own findings,
None of the “active” HDMI cables (Redmere, 8K Optical) work with the Directstream for i2s audio.

Was on a quest to find best HDMI cables for i2s and video from my Oppo 203 to the DS dac and Sony OLED tv.
Stick a fork in it and call it done.

For video settled n this, quite a bit better than the others I tried.
Optical makes an improvement.

For i2s audio, holding off on a Wireworld Platinum for now as I dont know which direction my digital audio will go, but tried a fair few short HDMIs of different types and the best one I found was this.

Silver plated wire, signal and power feeds separated…very similar to Wireworld construction in fact.

Hope this helps,
Happy with my choices here and sticking with what I have for now.

2 Likes

Revelation Audio :scream:
I still use some of there excellent sounding products.
However I would never ever buy from them again.
There has been serious issues with people paying for cables that were not delivered.
If you do some internet search you will read what I mean.
personally had some very difficult time with this company.
I’m sure other people’s experience may be different to mine.
If you try these optical alternatives I would be interested in hearing how you got on.
Blue

1 Like

I use a 40 foot Ruipro for my projector system. It is excellent for video. You can see the difference it makes. Too bad it doesn’t work for audio.

1 Like

The optical cable arrived. Picture quality is pretty crisp… too crisp, so I had to fiddle with my TVs picture settings to reduce the sharpening. I think it’s made lower quality video look worst and 4K material look really good.

I ordered another cable for my BD player.

What cable brand you are referring to? There are quite a few…

This one
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KG7C25W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1 Like

I now have fiber interconnects for all my HDMI cables and replacing others around the house.

Definitely worth it.

Now if only someone can figure out an I2S version of these HDMI cables… Any pointers, @tedsmith? :slight_smile:

The lack of a signal (5V I believe) is the missing ‘link’.

1 Like

Got one today to compare against 2 year old Pink Faun cable the guys included with my server build. It’s pretty good straightaway and I look forward to the next couple of weeks time with it…I like a long, slow A/B.

Thanks for the reasonably priced tip.

2 Likes

Hi Gazjam,
I’m in the market for a new HDMI cable, I asked my DCC manufacturer a price reasonable and was recommended Wireworld Chroma 7. Wile Phasure HDMI^2 looks really interesting.
If you could share with your experience of this Apollo AV Lighting please and your opinion?
Thx

When shopping around for i2s HDMI cables I tried 6 or so, Amazon specials, Monoprice, Bluejeans and the like?

The Bluejeans was “the best of the rest”, the ApolloAV was better by quite a bit.

Remembering that the cable is used for music only over i2s:
Soundstage had opened right up in comparison, instruments had a better sense of scale sounding dynamically more “real”, stopping and starting more realistically, the feel of plucked guitar strings, piano keys being hit…kind of thing.
A bit bass light compared to the Bluejeans initially, but with some hours on it. it started to fill in and open up even more.

Like a lot of us, I think, the Wireworld Platinum HDMI is the endgame, but its very expensive so was looking for something good ENOUGH (for now… :slight_smile:)

The Apollo made me forget about the cable race and just enjoy the music.

1 Like

Thxs gazjam, good say of ‘forget about the cable race and just enjoy the music’ :innocent:

1 Like

Yup,
its where we all want to end up after all…I think!

I tried the Apollo. I’m using the PS Audio AC-12 HDMI for my DVR and Blu-ray player in one system, and my DMP to DSD in the main system.

First I checked it out as a video cable. Pretty darned good, but the AC-12 gives a more refined picture and a slightly mellower sound. I gave it about 15 hours on the DVR to TV connection, not a real long time, but didn’t notice any significant changes.

Then I tried it between my DMP and DSD. Whoa! Immediately I noticed an intense clarity and silent blackness between notes. However. . . it was noticeably brighter and more forward sounding than the AC-12. I left it in a few hours of listening. . . and put the AC-12 back in. . .and I relaxed into a mellower, more laid back feel to the sound. That’s my preference–anyone who likes a very focused and forward presentation might prefer the Apollo.

1 Like

Silver plated copper takes an age to settle down,
My Morrow speaker cables I had before took weeks and weeks of fairly regular use.

The Apollo brightness settles down and fills out after some time…give it a couple of weeks play see what you think.
It gets more ‘mature’ sounding at the top end with time on it, but doesn’t lose that openness.

I probably. I do believe in burn in but I also find that the essential characteristics of a cable don’t change too fundamentally. I don’t expedt it to beat the AC-12 to be honest given how it sounds now. Nor should it necessarily as it cost about one tenth of the price of the AC-12. . . when it was discontinued! As I have six machines that use HDMI it will probably end up on a shelf with other cables I’ve tried from Purist Audio, Harmonic Technology, VooDoo Cable and MapleShade. Good to have spares!

Run it in the background on another piece of kit for a couple of weeks if you can then plumb it back in.

You may be surprised. :slightly_smiling_face:

Possibly. I’m not as confident as you seem to be.

I don’t have anything to run it “in the background” on so it will take a long time to get a lot of hours on it unless I use it for the DSD. . . and I can’t stomach a long run of the sound as is.

Just talking from personal experience with the cable, nothing else.

Do whatever floats your boat.