Next DSD firmware update in 2020 or 2021?

Thanks for the reply and insights.

Stay safe,

Scott

For me, quadrate dsd is useless, because I have no quadrate files.
But a lower noise floor and improved sound is very welcome.

1 Like

I agree with this but for a different reason. There isnā€™t a steaming solution on Earth that can serve quad rate DSD over I2S. Thatā€™s what makes it a problem for me. Heck - there isnā€™t even anything out there that can serve DSD128 over I2S! If such things existed Iā€™d be more inclined to want this feature.

2 Likes

Well, the Matrix Audio X-SPDIF-2 (a DDC) delivers DSD128 via I2S. I feed it via USB from a LUMIN U1Mini.

From the specs:

DSD64/128/256/(DoP) DSD64/128/256/512(Native)

3 Likes

Sorry. I meant to say from an Ethernet input! :man_facepalming:

Many lower cost DACs decode to that level though, and higher DSD512, some DSD1024, so especially when the new version of the dac (dsd version2, whatever it will be called, the follow-on to the current ds sr) Iā€™d think it important to include the functionality to remain on leading edge.

Lots of 8k TVs being sold today, after all. Itā€™s somewhat about perception. Nobody would buy a 1080p TV today if they planned to use it for any length of time.

Edit: never say never - somebody surely would. But most video enthusiasts would not.

My plan is to use Roon with HQPlayer to upsample all DSD and PCM to DSD256 and play it over Ethernet to an ultraRendu to a Matrix SPDIF 2 to the DirectStream DAC.

1 Like

Yes, that seems to be the way to do it now, but Iā€™m trying to minimize the number of boxes in my system. :blush: If the Bridge could do DSD ā€œpick-your-xā€ to match what the DS itself could do, I wouldnā€™t bother looking at an external solution, even if it was better than this imaginary Bridge.

I know, Iā€™ll hand in my audiophile membership card later today. :wink:

FYI. Blue coast free download has DSD256.

2 Likes

I generally follow the ā€œsimpler is betterā€ maxim as well. But, using the Matrix SPDIF 2 to convert USB to I2S for the DirectStream is the exception.

2 Likes

I have a Lumin U1 Mini and a DirectStream DAC. How does this improve the sound???

1 Like

To make a long story short: it just sounds a bit better (to me, in my system, in my room).

Some experience big advancements with the Matrix, few none. There is an epic thread on that device somewhere on this forum.

With a good HDMI cable and an external linear power supply this addition can cost quite some money - for ā€žjustā€œ converting USB to I2S outside the DSD.

Is it worth it? For my ears and brains: yes. Every small improvement counts and I simply donā€™t want to go back, once thatā€™s achieved.

But be assured: the LUMIN direct into the DSD sounds great, even without this or any other DDC.

2 Likes

Thanks! I found the ā€œMatrixā€ thread with about 4000 posts and have been reading it for the past 2 hours.

3 Likes

Haha. Yeah, be careful, that thread is sweet and sticky and makes you wonder, what ifā€¦
But, I guess, thatā€™s the reason why weā€˜re all here.

Be careful, the impact on your bank account will increase as the posts progress from the Matrix itself and move on to HDMI cables to LPS. The Matrix is the gateway drug . . .

4 Likes

:joy:. Enjoy.

Yes, it will cost nearly as much as the dac itself :grinning:

An improvement of sonic quality would be an amazing Xmas gift after an incredibly tough covid year!

5 Likes

this is true, sadly. My Antipodes CX > EX > P2 (plus 2 power cords, plus Ethernet, USB and HDMI cables) cost more than the DS. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Hi Chris_y
Which digiital ic do you use for your dac?
I connected my EX directly too the PSdac using USB.

1 Like