No left channel, only on one CD

Left channel completely silent. Play some other CDs and they are fine. Put back this one and again no left channel.

PWT to Direct Stream

Cd is good on another system.

Reference Recordings- Helicon plays Vivaldi and Bach:

http://www.amazon.com/Vivaldi-Bach-Michael-Willens/dp/B00000157F

What does the DS not like about this recording?

Is it possible it’s the PWT? Have you tried the transport into some other DAC?

It’s a bug in Pike’s Peak. CD’s with preemphasis cause it. Sorry about that. I don’t know if PS Audio will be releasing a patch (considering the work to retest the sound quality of a release.)

The PWT is good about informing the DS about preemphasis, if you rip the CD the preemphasis indicator will probably be dropped on the floor and the CD will play (tho with way too much HF loudness, some of us don’t find that to be a problem anymore :( )

Also foobar2000 and JRiver can be set up to do the deemphasis with appropriately tagged files, tho I’ve never pushed it thru so I can’t personally help on how to do it.

Not really the same thing but I was wondering could the DS be made without to much trouble to decode HDCD disc’s?

Not easily - we’d have to license it from Microsoft and they release it as software (at least the last time I checked.) I don’t know if there are near enough FPGA resources left to implement it. Apparently some of the HDCD decoders that are in players like JRiver, foobar2000, etc. only implement a subset of the HDCD features, whether that’s an indication that only implementing some features is good enough I don’t know, but I don’t usually do things 1/2 way :)

I think there’s a way to get WMP to decode HDCD streams to 24bit streams.

Ted Smith said . . . but I don't usually do things 1/2 way.
One of the many things we love about you.

If you use dBpoweramp to rip it can also take care of HDCD encoded disks. Unfortunately I found this out after my HDCD disks had all been ripped with EAC - before dBpoweramp was even born.

tony, you can use dBpoweramp batch converter to decode your HDCD files (I rip HDCD discs in dBpoweramp with and without the HDCD plug-in and have subsequently converted some of the 16-bit rips to HDCD that way). The encoding is probably still there on your EAC rips.

I believe the HDCD plug-in used by dBpoweramp was hacked out of WMP. I also understand it does the half-assed version of the decoding. Typical Microsoft.

Thanks Steve, but now I’d have to go back and find all those ripped HDCD tracks! If there was a way to search and identify through my NAS it’d be a lot easier!20_gif

There is that. It doesn’t help that the HDCD logo does not always appear on the packaging. I picked up four CDs from the same artist last week and two of them turned out to be HDCD. I only discovered that after ripping. I use the HDCD plug-in by default (it doesn’t do anything to non-HDCD tracks) and dBpoweramp tells you afterwards if HDCD encoding was detected.

And conversely: just because the HDCD indicator shows up when playing/ripping doesn’t mean it uses any HDCD features…

I sometimes wonder if they’ve done anything other than lower the peaks by 6 dB. I typically set dBpoweramp to add the 6 dB back and have yet to notice any clipping or other distortion and when I look at files where I left the volume as is using Audacity and similar programs there doesn’t appear to be anything above -6 dB. That may just reflect my particular selection of HDCD discs. The files do seem to sound better with the decoding but I have no idea what is really going on with the HDCD encoding and decoding.

tony22 said Is it possible it's the PWT? Have you tried the transport into some other DAC?
Pouffffffffffff

I have a same problem now.

I wanted my sound calibrated with a peack noise (test disq) , …and ppouffff nothing song on the left channel.

I installed 1.21 and two Chanel ok. I reinstaled PP and nothing on the left.

you have a solution or we must buy a new machine was $ 7,000. (€€><~#%%)

Please give me a solution.

Excuse my english

Bonjour MAGOG.

Magog, QC?

Je suis a Montreal

Yello gordon

Je suis un ami de Ghyslain a LaPocatiere

call me 800 570-8767

Claude

Yes yes yes,

it’s OK now. The problem it’s OK

I speack whit Gordon, and i disconect the AC cable for 15 minutes. And i rebout the DSD

Two Chanel it’s OK

T you Gordon

st50maint said Left channel completely silent. Play some other CDs and they are fine. Put back this one and again no left channel.

PWT to Direct Stream

I have the exact same problem with a Chick Corea recording. My DS is running the Pike rev. What’s the fix for this?

n2djazz said
st50maint said Left channel completely silent. Play some other CDs and they are fine. Put back this one and again no left channel.

PWT to Direct Stream

I have the exact same problem with a Chick Corea recording. My DS is running the Pike rev. What’s the fix for this?

That bug is fixed in Yale - preemphasized CDs loose one track in Pike’s Peak.

Hi Ted,

The Yale upgrade corrected my issue. Chick Corea now plays out both chnls. Thank you very much.