No Longer Available Directstream DAC External Power Controller Boards

PM sent.

It works perfectly. If your lps is offline, you can still use your DAC.

2 Likes

This is how I see it:

Assuming you had a linear power supply hooked up to your DS running the analog section, but for some reason that power supply was not turned on / didn’t work / lent to someone etc.
If you had just wired the supply direct to the DS, the DS wouldn’t work.

With the controller board fitted, at lease you can still use your DS, albeit running from the standard internal supply

2 Likes

I don’t think there is one.

But if you didn’t want to buy the controller board and a linear power supply at the same time, you could buy the controller as the first stage in the upgrade.

2 Likes

DS DAC EXTERNAL POWER CONTROLLER BOARD INSTALL GUIDE.

1. Remove top cover and Bridge II / Cover. Use a ground wrist strap for static protection.
  2. Slide this DS DAC EXTERNAL POWER CONTROLLER board in the Bridge II slot and fix with the 2 screws.
  3. Remove the power connector from analog board and connect to the DS DAC EXTERNAL POWER CONTROLLER boards [INTERNAL PSU IN] connector.
  4. Use supplied power cable and connect from analog board power connector to the DS DAC EXTERNAL POWER CONTROLLER boards [POWER OUT TO ANALOG BOARD] connector.
    Note: all power connectors are keyed for correct polarity.
  5. Test the unit by powering on the DAC AC switch “without” the external power supply connected. The DAC should work as it did before using the internal power supply. (NO LED) Internal power supply mode.
  6. Power down the unit with the AC switch on the back of the DAC. Connect the external power supply to the DS DAC EXTERNAL POWER CONTROLLER boards external connector and turn on the power supply “only” at this time. The LED on the Power board should light RED (Standby Mode)
  7. Power on the DAC’s AC switch. The LED should turn GREEN indicating you are now powered from the External Power Supply. (Normal External Power Mode).
    8.Always turn on the external power supply first or at the same time as the DAC AC power.
    You can leave external power supply on 24/7 as the DS DAC EXTERNAL POWER CONTROLLER board will sequence the external power supply to the analog board at the correct time.

*** AS IN ALL MODIFICATIONS, WE TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR THIS MOD IF DONE INCORRECTLY OR OTHERWISE. THIS MOD IS DONE SOLELY AT THE OWNERS RISK. THIS WILL VOID ANY WARRANTY.

Status LED

External Power Connector

4 Likes

If you are on the list here and did NOT get a PM with instructions from me please let me know.

The main reason is to control when to pass the external power to the analog board at the correct time. This also protects the DSD when you get a power outage.

Just passing this along, I ordered this power supply a couple weeks ago and it has not even been shipped yet. It is shipped from China, so it may be impacted by COVID lockdowns over there. If you are in a rush, you might want to look for an alternative unit.

1 Like

Will this power supply work with standard cables included with a 12v SBooster?
Thanks!

No. We supply the correct end for the DSD power board side.

That’s weird. I ordered three different orders. I got them within 1.5 weeks. A friend also received his within 1.5 weeks. These were shipped to USA.

This is where I order them. They are less expensive then eBay.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2251832737064899.html?spm=a2g0o.new_account_index.0.0.75bb25b9AVFdyq

Payment received

What are the specs to look for in a PSU? 115VAC/12VDC/6A?

Also what is the type of PSU-side end connector on the power cable (that comes with the external board)?

I have a Teddy Pardo 12V/2A sitting around for my unconnected exasound DAC, dunno if that would suffice

Yes. 12v 2A will work.

Aviation Plug Connector 2-Pin 16mm Socket.

It’s a GX16-2

DIYhz GX16 2 Pins Panel Metal Mount Circular Metal Aviation Connector Adapter Male Female Plug Socket (10 Pcs) https://a.co/d/heBVidT

2 Likes

I placed my order on July 3rd.

Did you order from eBay or Aliexpress?

Aliexpress

I would contact them.

Yes definitely contact them. I ordered one recently from Aliexpress and it shipped within a couple of days