Octave Questions

It won’t be in a a Stellar chassis but something a bit smaller and (maybe) cooler looking. This new device will have the advantage of galvanic isolation plus it’s own Digital lens. I doubt much on the market will be a blessing to keep up with it sonically.

5 Likes

Thanks for the info! I was considering an Auralic but maybe I will hold out. Is there a chance the streamer will be at RMAF or Axpona?

We’re not attending Axpopna but I would definitely think it’ll be the main source of music at RMAF.

4 Likes

Nice! I thought it might be technically obsolete to connect a USB/I2S converter if I2S is already available (of which I so far understood it’s not available from other brands streamers to the DS as it has to be proprietary). Maybe I’m wrong with that assumption.

Will this streamer have AC or DC in (so will it be optionally benefiting from an external psu)?

Thanks for the info! Sorry to hear about Axpona. That is a 25 minute drive from my house but I understand with how close they are together and not to mention what happened last year.

1 Like

I too was hoping to see PSA at AXPONA as it is within a reasonable drive. RMAF is still in the cards. Hopefully RMAF staff resolves the queue issues of 2019 and applies a solution for 2021. Arriving early seemed work against most attendees.

Indeed. The way they handled the pandemic is shameful and so far we’ve decided not to support them because of that. The promoters kept all the exhibitors money. We lost $10K in the debacle. While that’s not a lot of money for our company it is for many of the smaller folks and more important, it was the wrong thing to do.

6 Likes

It will have AC in so it will not benefit from a DC converter. It’ll be a little bigger than a half size chassis.

Dreadful

@Paul Have you had opportunity to hear the new streamer yet? Do you expect it to be equal SQ to the full size Octave server?

Also do you expect to have something similar to Roon Radio in the first release?

How far apart will the introduction of the full Octave server and the streamer be. In the past it was stated the the Full Octave at 5-6K would be first is this still the case?

Thanks

Yes. Everyone lost with what the Axpona promoters did. The people who lost money and the people like me who won’t get the opportunity to see the PS Audio family and products in the Midwest. I wonder how many more manufacturers won’t be there? We can hope that maybe another time or another show somewhere closer to the midwest than Colorado. I don’t mean to put you on the spot @Paul but is there a chance that vaccinated customers might be able to do a PS Audio “in person” tour of the facility by the time RMAF is going on? Thanks, Paul

1 Like

You lost the money, but they lost a lot more…RESPECT!

2 Likes

Maybe others will follow your lead for one year as an act of protest regarding rather bad behavior on the AXPONA promoter’s part. That said participation following 2021 should be encouraged to serve the audiophile community. With the many market changes there are very few opportunities to evaluate components and mingle with the community. AXPONA had its issues as did RMAF the latter more so with the queueing up prior to opening, parking fees, and in general a rather frustrating experience when trying to locate specific exhibitions. Well, that’s conventions.

1 Like

I have not heard it only have heard the circuit itself used on the PST - but that should be nearly identical because it doesn’t much care what’s feeding it, a disc player or computer.

I do not believe it will have anything like Roon Radio.

The lower cost version streamer we’re referring to will likely be first to complement the DS MKII when it comes out at the end of this year.

2 Likes

I appreciate the fact you no longer choose to support them. Bad behavior should never be rewarded.

2 Likes

No worries. Yes, there is a chance and a pretty good one.

2 Likes

Very cool! Thank you

1 Like

Am I correct to assume that the new streamer will be compatible with the original DSDsr as well?

Does this mean the circuit is the same as the one of the PST or that you compared both?

Isn’t a big difference that the streamer has LAN input?

I gather that the Bryston MPD is software because it is not on sale at the Bryston website. I have a Bryston BDP-2 that is not in use.