Octave Questions

Hi @Paul. It was really good to hear the new Directstream DAC is likely to be out in February 22. Are you able to also provide an update on how the streamer is going? I’m very interested in the new Directstream Dac - but the streamer would be just as important to me as I use the Bridge 2 in the current Directstream to bring in the music! Are things at a stage where you could share some pictures of the expected outputs and perhaps a taste of the capabilities of the new streamer?

3 Likes

Dev for the streamer is chugging right along. I just got an update in our meeting this morning that it should be coming out right after the MKII does.

6 Likes

PSA announced an Octave Player late last year. It includes a streamer, 1 TB storage plus a Roon like software as I remembered. Is it still in the pipeline? Or it has been changed to just a streamer now?

1 Like

As of now the upcoming product I mentioned is a streamer. The server is still something we would like to make but as of now, all focus is on the MKII and the accompanying streamer.

3 Likes

Nice that will be a big launch of 3 things:

DS Mk2 , Octave streamer, Octave app.

3 Likes

I am in your waiting list for upgrade, and I am looking forward for both. Now I know I will finally get my NSA set up; my digital files have grown like weeds since getting the DS/Bridge2.

1 Like

Many thanks James. That’s great to know. Very much looking forward to it! Is it too early to say if the streamer will have two BNC outputs for double rate DoP, much like the PST?

Yes, too early for me to say. I haven’t been given much info about the specs or the sort. It will absolutely have I2S out which I’m very excited for.

1 Like

Hello! We must be online at the same time :grinning: Very much appreciate you getting back to me and letting me know!

1 Like

Given that the original DS (Mk I) has the Bridge as it’s streamer it would seem logical that the DS Mk II would have the new streamer (name TBD) released concurrently. Otherwise there is a gap for those of us who stream and we need to fill that gap.

2 Likes

Yes for the fact that it’s shortly released, compared to other announced products and considering the unclear situation of former bridge owners there’s zero information about it available since early announcements and hype, even for those who‘d buy PSA blind without scanning the market. For those who want to compare concepts with other options, there’s even less information available.

Due to the fact that I keep the modded DS I for foreseeable time, I’m relaxed, but I wouldn’t be if I planned to buy the DS II shortly.

1 Like

@jamesh or @Paul

Is the new Streamer going to be Roon Ready? It’s one of my favorite features of the BII. I know that IS2 sounds better, I have it as one of three sources along with USB and Ethernet. But, the convenience of Roon control brings me back to the BII often. I really like being able to pause, stop, and skip back/forth with the remote.

If not, I’ll switch from my ROCK to a Nucleus+ and use the Control4 integration.

Thanks!

Paul wrote the below in Feb. This was a change from previous where Paul said they wouldn’t support Roon.

All the stuff about Roon not sounding as great as other protocols, will be interesting to hear the feedback when people compare both with the same streamer.

1 Like

That’s good news. For me Roon ready preserves my investment in configuring my Roon library which is a significant amount of time.

If Octave is significantly better with DSII, I probably will switch, but it will be nice to slowly switch over vs all or nothing.

2 Likes

The streamer being Roon ready also helps spread my spend since I can slip the Octave in between the Streamer and the DSII at a later date.

1 Like

PerfectWave or Stellar Streamer?

Will the Streamer be PerfectWave quality?

1 Like

This is why I was hoping PSA would start teasing us with some info about the app controls for the streamer. Personally I do not like how Roon displays my library vs. Tidal. But I am oldschool, having my own files as my priority. I am though hoping that the app playing functionality is on the level of Bluesound… but with DSD included, which Bluesound does not do.

1 Like

Hi, @jamesh previously said the plan was to release the server and the MkII dac at the same time, which would have been great for the reasons you point out! I’m hoping that still holds, but it looks like the server isn’t at the same point as the MkII Directstream.

1 Like

@Paul

Paul with the new streamer not being able to connect a USB drive, can you add the ability to mount a Dropbox folder. This would allow streaming all personally owned content. I requested this feature back at the beginning of the Bridge 3 discussion and you seem to agree at that time this could be done

Hi James, I believe I read somewhere that the streamer only would be the size of like a Mac Mini. Just curious if you compared the difference between the audioquest Thunderbird and Firebird for I2S, if so can you share your thoughts?