Octave Records gets closer

PS Audio filed Octave as a trademark on April 18, 2017: Goods and Services “Computer software and firmware for downloading and organizing music files; Digital media servers.”

Yes that’s true…but they won’t have problems with other countries legal issues I guess

That’s a great approach! All the best to find great artists!

In my experience, even much more important than gear and mastering (which as a mastering nut I think is very important) is the recording engineer‘s skill. Will there be a fixed or several guest engineers or is Gus‘ role not only mastering but also recording? Not sure anymore what he’s famous for exactly, but I certainly know he is as a digital audio pioneer and mastering engineer…

Must you be only a label? What about offering just the recording studio for those who want/need only that service?

He’s worked for years as engineer, mixing artist and, of course, mastering guru. He’s been responsible for some big and famous recordings.

See, e.g., click.

Thanks! Saw that before but couldn’t identify if he is also working as recording engineer or mainly mastering.

It is unclear.

I think of him as one of the pioneers of digital given his early involvement with Sony, digital, and CD as a format.

He is primarily a mastering engineer.

He is also a PS employee now, so maybe he’ll chime in on this thread as things develop.

Really, a PSA employee? So Octave seems to have a strict growth plan :wink:

Great to possibly have such gurus around here if they are patient enough with us less than amateurs (well you’re not beef)

Well, when Paul decides to do something, he doesn’t fool around ; )

I’m definitely an amateur, though. Video and audio producer by profession, yes, but not in Gus’s league. I’ve volunteered to help him out, but that was prior to being hired by PS. I’ll coil cables and set up stands for them, if they want.

2 Likes

Properly coiling cables is an important studio skill and one few possess.

1 Like

I’ll do an over/under race with anybody ; )

A guy I used to work with started out working for a company that did live stuff, and was given the task of coiling about 200 cables after a show. When he got done, the boss made him do them all over again - the right way. Lesson he never forgot : )

I am certain you would win. But if I did 200 in a row my speed would improve.

Since this is an inquisitive bunch, I’ll offer some speculation, though it may be putting two and two together and getting three or five. The more I know, the less likely I am to feel that it’s something I should discuss : )

However, anyone reading the liner notes on PS Audio’s “One” album will note that these folks, who are pals of Gus, did most of the recording:

Gus is working on other stuff with them as well. Since One turned out so well, I would hazard a guess that they will be involved in Octave Records recordings going forward. Of course, should Octave attract an artist who prefers to work with a specific engineer, I’m sure that would be part of the deal.

I did just say I would race. The sentence I left out was, “I might not win, but the result would be Good” : )

When I was teaching recording classes, we would have races, but with the tiebreaker being the test at the end, where you hold one end, grab the other end and throw it across the studio floor. Any net coil loses.

The perfect test, and one I lose more than I like. At least I have never threaded one end of a perfectly nicely coiled cable through the coils so that the entire cable becomes a mess.

Sadly, I cannot make that particular claim. I also put cables in bags and cases with other cables, where they are well known to be promiscuous.

1 Like

Understood.

Back in a different life I was a construction welder. A good friend always said that you could put a perfectly coiled 100 foot length of welding lead on the floor of a helicopter, grab one end and jump out, and you would never hit the ground.

2 Likes