Octave Releases on Vinyl

From Kevin today - the first two are now available for order…

“I’m excited to announce that vinyl LP pressings are now available from Octave Records. We chose two albums to start with, Gabriel Mervine’s Say Somethin’ and Don Grusin’s Out of Thin Air, which were previously available only in SACD and digital download. You can check them out here:”

https://www.psaudio.com/products/say-somethin/
https://www.psaudio.com/products/out-of-thin-air/

2 Likes

1 Like

More from Kevin:

“In order to ensure maximum quality and perfection in every disc, the pressing plant we use employs a state-of-the-art closed-loop heating/cooling system and programmable logic controllers to precisely temperature-control the vinyl molds. For electroplating the masters, we partnered with the world-famous NiPro Optics company to achieve the most technologically advanced and modern electroforming in the world. Using GrooveCoated technology, we’ve dramatically increased the lifespan of the stamper, reducing high-frequency loss as the pressing cycles continue. And finally, our vinyl is released directly from the DSD master, which is an entirely new process available exclusively from Octave Records. These releases are 180-gram (45rpm) LPs and we think they are nothing short of extraordinary.”

1 Like

Curiously, the Hey Joe SACD re-release was originally mastered by Paul’s mate who does the Sonoma (sorry, forgotten his name) and was released on DMM 45rpm vinyl. I bought a copy on Amazon for £25 - about $30. The sound quality is fabulous. I can’t remember who did the pressing, unfortunately the packaging is terrible - cereal box quality.

1 Like

So some quick updates…. I’ve was able to do some quick comparisons of the Don Grusin - Out Of Thin Air in Vinyl, SACD, and Qobuz 192 Hi-Rez today.

I had my wife listen to Qobuz vs Vinyl and in her non audio terms, she quickly stated that the streaming version sounded good, but like it was “inside a box” compared to vinyl. It was pretty easy to hear the difference in soundstage and lack of air to the vinyl.

With the vinyl vs SACD, it was very close and I only spotted subtle differences- it was mostly in the transients, where the SACD was slightly less dynamic- I’m assuming my +10 year old DA conversion in my Esoteric can’t quite keep up.

1 Like

Very nice

3 Likes

@jtsnead i just relistened to the vinyl again compared to the SACD and wow. That is one good album no matter what option. I know my SACD player is my limiting factor, and can’t keep up with the dynamics of the vinyl. Have you had a chance to compare - I’d love to hear your thoughts?

Or anyone else that has both for that matter?

1 Like

I listened to the vinyl only it is very good haven’t listened to the sacd yet

1 Like

The Octave vinyl releases are still listed as „collectors limited edition vinyl“, which suggests „buy quickly now or cry later“.

For my part, it’s great when such vinyl like the Gabriel Mervine is rereleased and everyone who missed it, can buy it again. And DSD sources make this even easier (though I’d be interested if the rereleases are additional pressings from the old stampers or from new ones).

What I’d suggest is what others who use digital sources meanwhile do and who want to name their releases „limited“ but not necessarily act so finally. They then name those releases as „limited first edition“. This indicates a limitation, but still possible rereleases. Others mostly even slightly modify the rereleases’ cover to still keep the first release somehow unique for hardcore collectors.

If it’s not done like that and you once rereleased an originally limited release, no one takes a „limitation“ (which is always used as a quick selling argument) seriously anymore. Then you can also just leave the numbering and limiting alone.

1 Like

I wonder if something like this is more relevant to vinyl pressed from analog sources due to tape age, tape condition, etc.

In this case I assume it’s the same, as I suspect, that just some more pressings were made now from the old stampers and no new mothers or stampers made or even a new remastering.

Normally you’re right, an AAA LP is usually released within feasible stamper wear and a rerelease would have to be newly mastered from the (then possibly aged) tape.

I just bought all 4 Audiophile Masters on LP taking advantage of the 50% off prices. Wow ! except for the operatic “stuff” on side two, Vol. 1. Every track is not only reference quality sonically. But the music is really good too !

Once again proving that all that MFSL “controversy” was pure BS by many reviewers/Vinyl “Afficionados” were fooled again and again. This prompted my to get back into Vinyl along with a Hard Drive Crash of my CD rips.

DSD to Vinyl sounds amazing whether its a MoFi transfer or these wonderful Octave tracks. Wasn’t that the whole point of DSD in the first place back in '99 ?

3 Likes

Thanks for the kind words!

1 Like

Happy to know you’re enjoying the vinyl!

1 Like

The 3 Clandestine Amigo SACD’s I enjoy on a regular basis.

1 Like

Ah shucks :slight_smile:

1 Like