P10 internal fuse - direction of current?

Always meant to check this out and I’m considering getting a new internal fuse for my P10 and I want to make sure the fuse is correctly oriented to get the best out of it … without the trial and error of trying both ways.

Does the power through the internal fuse flow from the back of the P10 to the front of it, or vice versa?

Come on guys, surely someone knows the answer to this.

Anyone from PS Audio like to chime in.

(It could take up to three goes to get the directionality correct, - correct first time, switch off, change other way to test, 2nd go, switch off, put back to 1st way after confirming this sounds better - 3rd switch off.

Don’t really want to put my P10 through all this.

By definition AC current flows both directions. Why fuse directionality should matter is a mystery.

sheridd2 said Don't really want to put my P10 through all this.
Good point. A P10 can only be turned on a few dozen times before it completely fails and needs to be tossed.

What fuse do you have which declares the way in which they should be installed? Those with which I m familiar simply state one should try it both ways and decide.

stevem2 said By definition AC current flows both directions. Why fuse directionality should matter is a mystery.
I have continually questioned AC fuse directionality for this reason.

Thanks Elk.

So a bit of a mystery then.

For those of you who have ‘upgraded’ the standard internal 3.15 amp fuse which way did you find inserting into the fuse holder gives the best results, with the fuse writing reading normal, i.e. left to right, or with the writing back to front?

From memory, I’m currently using inverted, i.e. writing back to front.

Hi Sheridd2,

Quick question for you, which will not help you unfortunately.

When you say internal fuse you mean something other than the 5 amp small slow blow fuse that you insert from the back of the P10?

Thanks,

Veneet

I have never found fuse directionality to matter - though I have experienced fuses making an audible difference in equipment like the BHK products as well as the DirectStreams.

Veneet … in my UK P10 the internal fuse is a 3.15 amp slow blow fuse and yes it’s in a small holder beside the on / off power switch.

This was info from Kevin the UK distributor and he checked with PS Audio to confirm.

Elk … I take it you were joking about the P10 only being able to be switched off a few dozen times before it’s tossed?

Ah, UK, got it. Thanks!

sheridd2 said Elk ...... I take it you were joking about the P10 only being able to be switched off a few dozen times before it's tossed?
Absolutely! Complete nonsense on my part.