P15 "freezing" - screen comes on by itself, remote goes dead

I keep the P15 on but the display off as a matter of course. In the past 12 hours, I’ve come into my living room to find the P15 meter screen showing and the unit unresponsive to the remote.Using the switch on back gets it going again. This also happened several weeks ago, before I went on an extended trip. I’ve also found when it happens that the screen can be manipulated by hand,. I’ve tried the new P20/15 firmware, so will see if it reoccurs.

One thing that surprised me is that when I’ve illuminated the screen outside of this freezing it’s always shown the outlets, but now the home screen switches to the meters after about 20 seconds. Why? Why not leave it under user control?

I have experienced the same issue with my P15 with the screen turning itself back on and then been unresponsive to the remote but after activating the information symbol on the outlet screen the remote then responds.
I’ve also had the screen not responding to the remote when trying to turn the screen on and at the same time the unit doesn’t register on the network so have no control at all, after a reboot it was back to normal.
If there is a firmware update will try that and hope its sorted.

PM sent.

I have had similar issues.

It’s became very occasional for me since last summer, although I don’t show record of a firmware update after July, when it was still happening more often. The reset for me has been to press the home icon on the LED screen and then after a moment of that it goes black again, as I want it.

We’ve got firmware for the Power Plants that we will be sharing this week to address a couple things, including a few related issues.

This bug is a tough one for us to recreate, though we believe this update will resolve it.

Keep an eye out for the new firmware around the end of this week.

The new firmware installed and no display or zone ON/OFF cycling issues… FW = 01.22… been beta testing for the 2nd week this week…

1 Like

This problem, as described by the thread title, has returned here a few times recently and I’m not sure why. I thought it might be the electrical feed going down momentarily, but other appliances’ LED screens don’t show any indication of it. Has there been a recent firmware update? Just to be sure, I’ve installed the one showing in Support and will see what happens.

1 Like

No, we haven’t updated the FW in the 15 or 20 for a number of years. What’s on the site is current.

You may want to try disconnecting the ethernet cable, down powering and removing all power cords and then cold booting the unit using the rear power switch. Prior to re-powering reconnect all power cords, but do not reconnect the ethernet cable. Re-power the unit and operate it sans ethernet cable. Skip the Power Management option. This is a known problem with the P15/P20 and is why I returned my unit.

Don’t use ethernet cable. What is the Power Management option? I’m not running any sequences. Thanks,

Power Management allows you to assign tags to various P15/P20 outlets and cycle them on and off remotely from your laptop, or similar digital device. It also allows you to assign switching functions to the outlets, as in no delay, assigned delay, always on, cycles on when P15/P20 powers up. These can be useful for digital network devices, power amplifiers, or whatever. Control via internet with ethernet hook-up and a Power Management account established through PS Audio. You can also monitor P15/20 performance parameters.
With all that it caused my P15 to freeze or lock-up. I sent it back as it is a known problem that PS Audio has not resolved, more or less their modus operandi IME.

Hope you find this helpful. If yours is locking up and you do not use Power Management I’d suspect an intermittent hardware problem, and either return the unit for a replacement, or refund.

It’s beyond the warranty period. The glitch seems to be in the firmware, which they don’t need me sending the unit in to figure out.

Good luck with a resolution. Just trying to help. You are in good hands now…

Hey highstream…

Just out of curiosity do you happen to have an sd card
installed in your P15…if you do, you should remove it as
it could cause problems…

I may have missed it, but have you tried to reboot your P15
and have it go through the initializing process? Doing so
can solve a variety of problems…

Hopes this helps some…
Best wishes

When I went to reinstall the firmware, I discovered that I had left the SD card in the slot. Hopefully its removal, along with the reinstall, will solve it. Yes, each time it freezes, it has to be shut down and then reinitialized. Thanks,

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing follow-up…

Hopefully problem solved!!

Best wishes

1 Like

It’s happened again. I can’t say exactly when in the past four days since reinitiating, as the screen faces a wall behind my the system and a TV, so I wouldn’t be likely to see it unless I look, which I just did. It seems like I’m going to have to let it be until a restart is needed for other reasons. Two annoying drawbacks in restarting frequently are that the start-up cap in one of my ATC speakers is fickle and needs replacing, which won’t happen for a few months until the speakers are replaced; and some cable channels I watch require an extended time to come back online, as Spectrum has more channels here than system capacity.