P15 vs P20

I am not sure what it would accomplish. It would the identical size and insides. The only difference would be the lack of the sliding plug cover in the rear.

Or maybe I am missing your point, Tony. Sorry.

My guess is that he was looking for a P15 with the low output impedance of the P20, in a P15 chassis. Is that possible?

No, because there wouldn’t be enough room for the guts that make the impedance that low.

2 Likes

@Paul, yep falling_leaves had it. I thought the difference in price had more to do with the additional current capacity and outlets. It’s a shame the basic audio qualities have so much to do with the parts of the design that take up so much real estate.

Sonically, Paul, where would you say the additional strengths of the P20 are over the P15?

Just to be clear, the P15 is an extraordinary performer, so I don’t want to come across as suggesting it’s a weak cousin. That’s always the danger when evaluating two pieces side by side.

But, to my ears, anything connected to the 20 just gets noticeably better separation. It’s as if you take a crowd in a room and give them all equal space to breathe and move about. Suddenly, an openness and clarity permeates the recording and
you wonder how you were happy with what you previously heard.

2 Likes

I’m glad you said this, @Paul , as I just took ownership of a… P15! :smile:

It’s an absolute gem. You’re going to love what it does for your equipment.

Thanks Paul. Is there any value in putting this beast on something like a maple butcher block? If so, would you recommend the block be flat on the floor (rug) or on points?

Sad
I’ve just got my P15 and thought that was the same as the P20 just with less connectors and less watt but then I read:

“I’d agree with James in that if I had the budget or the real estate for a [P20] on source gear I’d go for it over the P15. The only reason I don’t have a P20 on the source gear in Music Room Two is real estate. When we’re at the shows we go all P20 because it just sounds so dramatically better even on source equipment.”

I mean: “dramatically better even on source equipment”
Well well…let’s, think of something else, let’s think of the Ferrite noise suppressor.
Where should I put it?
Is it for the Ethernet-cable if I should connect it to the internet?

@Birger - My $0.02:

It’s all relative. I would not sweat the difference too much, unless you are not satisfied with your new P15.

The fear of missing out can be a strong motivator though – I get it.

Just keep in mind that many audiophiles tend to overstate the materiality of an improvement or difference when trying to describe such things.

Let us know shat you think of the P15, if you don’t mind.

Cheers.

I’m very happy with my P15 and are amazed by the difference in sound it makes from time to time but when I saw what I just showed you I get “scared” that I miss out on even better sound, comparing to the P20, even if my new P15 makes it so much better then what I had earlier without it.

1 Like

To be clear, since it was my words quoted, the P15 is an amazing piece of equipment. It will improve just about anything connected to it and is a product I consider essential to any great stereo system.

My comment about the P20 being better does not (or hopefully should not) diminish how great the P15 is. If it did, I apologize (I have been known to get overly excited :slight_smile: ). The thing is, as each Power Plant gets bigger it gains more than just
watts and outlets. Bigger means more transformer, more output devices, more power supply capacitors. These translate to lower impedance and greater control and authority over the AC power, which then translates to noticeably better sound for anything connected.

If we were to build a P40, for example, it would absolutely better a P20 even for the same load. It’s just the nature of the beast.

3 Likes

I nominate this line as perhaps one of the biggest understatements in the history of mankind. :rofl:

But that’s what makes you you, Paul. You gotta admire that kind of enthusiasm after so many years in any business!

2 Likes

Hah! Well, I won’t argue. Heck, when I get on a roll I just start frothing at the mouth and people move out of the way. Can’t help myself.

And, to think, I have been working hard at being conservative in my praise for Darren’t new Stellar Phono because our guys answering phone calls want to keep it “more real” (whatever that means). But it’s damned hard! That phono preamp has literally
redefined what it means to me to listen to vinyl (and that’s a BIG DEAL!).

Thanks for your reaction/answer Lord Paul. Now I feel more calm.

Maybe I read in too much into what you said also. It’s easy to do that from time to time.
Especially when it comes to something you have just bought a day or two ago.

That’s the story I expected today in Paul’s posts with the title “converts” :wink:

Hmmm, I have to say these comments about the P15 are sort of making me regret a sizable investment in a product I haven’t even taken delivery of….
Right now I do sort of feel like the P15 must be the bastard step-child of the P20….I guess I’ll just see if the investment is worth the price paid.

1 Like

The P15 is pretty fine. Fear not!

4 Likes

Thanks!

So the question for all those who have the P15…

will this device handle the following gear:
2x M1200 mono blocks
3x M700 Mono blocks
AV Preamp
Lumin U1 Mini Steaming transport
Holo Audio Spring DAC 3 (w preamp module)
Innuos server with after market PSU
(and perhaps a 2 ch. Emotiva 300wpc amp)

You may want to consider two P15’s if your budget allows for it.