P20 AC Power - value in the P20 over the P15? 20A power cord?

Ok, so for a 20 amp circuit your not “supposed” to use a standard North American 3 prong (5-15P). You should use a 3 prong with one of the prongs turned 90 degrees (5-20P) which your power port will accept.

https://www.pduwhips.com/products/2118-computer-power-cords.aspx?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIudrwtKaJ4QIVmh-tBh2uEAnDEAQYAyABEgJxtvD_BwE

That said, it’s pretty easy to find what you asked for…

Most of the consumer cords are rated for 15 amps (because you are using the 15 amp prongs), but you can get audiophile versions:

The only difference between a NEMA 5-15 and 5-20 is the T slot. Ironically the monoprice cable is a bad choice since it’s 14 gauge which is rated for 15A by the National Electrical Code.

14 Awg is 15A
12 Awg is 20A
10 Awg is 30A

Awg is American Wire Gauge

Talk to Steven at Audio Sensibility. He can manufacture the end 5-20P you require in custom lengths and type of cable based on your budget. Excellent cables and reasonable pricing.

Right, I know the “problem” of the Power Port vs. a single connector. But Paul reports just above that it’s rated to 20 amps.

Thanks for the first link. That looks like what I’m looking for.

I “think” that the code has been relaxed to 14ga = 20 amps now but it could also be brain function issues on my part.

Don’t think so, there’s an asterisk in the table that limits it to 15A. It’s always been there. Same for #12, it’s actually rated for 30A (useful for derating # of conductors in a raceway, etc) but limited to 20A protected circuits maximum.

Hi, and sorry for my delay in responding,
I, too, have seen the Venom 20A available at Music Direct, and some others earlier in this chat have noted that Pangea will supply a 20A end. I’ve enjoyed the value of various cables from Audio Sensibility, as mentioned above, and have ordered a Statement cable from them. IMHO the AS cables are great value for the money, and Steve Huang is as good a guy in audio as I’ve dealt with.

OK. Thanks for the clarification. I remember my electrician chatting to me about it but not the details. A little information is like a little dynamite. :exploding_head:

I got a 30-foot cable made by the folks in the first link you provided. Hooked it up yesterday to a 20-amp circuit, and it made a significant improvement.

As they say: recommended. From experience, now. Again, thank you.

1 Like

Great to hear! Let us know the outcome if you ever decide to try an “audiophile” $$$ cord.

I’ve made inquiries to Shunyata - but as I need a 30-foot at the moment, I’m a bit skeptical. Nonetheless, I asked.

hey folks!
Got my new P10 up and running on Friday. All smiles so far!

Sully

3 Likes

Here’s what I got : 15 foot IEC cord from Audio Sensibility along with an aluminum power distribution block with no conditioning or surge suppression.
Power cords do make a difference in the chain even with the P15 IMO.

1 Like

I used their Statement AC cord to run the Regenerator.

nice looking cable. I’ve got my cables sorted out for electronics (all PS Audio). But need another now for the P10. I’ll check out the Audio Sensibility cables, I used to own a pair of their speaker cables. But they only lasted 6 months…

Just on Shunyata. All of their power distribution products use a C19 20A connector for the power inlet (not OEM, they manufacture their own). Even those destined for 240V export markets use a C19. There is a reason for that.

And Shunyata Denali 2000/T is on closeout at the moment. US$2000.

Compelling demonstration of noise reduction with a Denali

I just upgraded from PSA AC12 to Shunyatta Research Anaconda CX (1.8m, 20A, 6ga) power cord for my hungry P20. I also added a single run 20A, 10/2 romex cable w/ SR BLUE duplex. In addition I just dropped the order to upgrade from BHK250 to BHK300 amplifiers… and yes, I went AC12 1.5m power cord for the dual BHK300s. The cost difference is 2:1. I wish I had Brodric’s money. I’m a poor laborer from the southern plains of Arizona… no welfare state to fall back on… just capitalist war mongers who take the little bit of money I scrape together… We need the Robin Hood from Perth… please help these Americonos…

Tell you what, my next rig, I will definitely A/B my P20 against the Shuyatta Research power products. The SR Anaconda CX against the AC12 was no contest… love my Anaconda power cord…

Ask @RonP about his SR Anaconda power cord… loves it and it was eye opening the difference between the AC12 and SR Anaconda…

2 Likes

SR and PS are handled by different distributors over here. I’ve made arrangements to take some of my PS cables to a SR dealer and see how PS/SR compare. I really need to be convinced first hand on this one if I’m to change from PS power products to SR. I’ve already been convinced by the SR digital cables, which I ended up buying.

Update. I just ordered a Shunyata Denali. I thought, why muck around, just be done with it. So now it is done.

Shunyata Anaconda CX and Alpha NR are clearly superior in my opinion. They made a surprising improvement on my P20 and also my DSD Sr.

1 Like