P20 and P15 Impressions & Review

Dang, sorry, I wish that had done it. I had a bit of back and forth to get my P20 just right, and now am quite happy with it. I hope you will end up in that same place.

1 Like

Ouch, I can’t imagine what it must take to carry the P15 up there… I see why A/B isn’t very practical. Thanks for the impressions regardless though.

1 Like

Hi Tony,
It’s unfortunate about your issues and I feel for you.
I recently read an article about dc offset and how it affects amplifiers with large toroids. They even reference some PS Audio gear in the article. I thought I’d forward this to you to read for interests sake:

1 Like

Two things about that, I tried that Emotiva unit thinking that DC was a problem even after getting the P20.

1. The P20 is supposed to get rid of DC on the line so it should not cause the amps to hum more (unless there is an issue with it!)

2. The emotiva thing hates (makes a massive noise) when you put it after the P20

Just wanted to let you know my experience to add to what @RsZk said.

I did use a multimeter and measure DC out of the wall in the end when @hthaller let me know that all it took was setting the meter to DC and putting the probes into the wall, turned out mine was fine, but worth checking!

1 Like

I use my Emotivas powered by a Power Plant and they are dead quiet.

Hey @Paul, @RsZk was referring to the cmx-2 which is a dc blocking power strip not one of the emotiva amps

1 Like

What I thought was interesting was trying to locate the DC offset by troubleshooting at the breaker panel side. Shutting off breakers until the hum would go away. This could go a long way for remedying the issue, before purchasing items such as the Emotiva cmx-2.
Edit: the OP also stated he had transformer hum even at the wall prior to the P20, but this was at a much lower level, so this is why I posted the article.

1 Like

Totally agree, especially if you have dedicated lines it does help eliminate things quickly

Thanks! I am a pretty fortunate guy if this is the biggest problem in my life right now, a lot of people have real problems to deal with. So although it is frustrating, you have to put things into perspective.

1 Like

Thank you! I didn’t consider that, I will try the DMM when I get home tonight to see if there is any DC on the line.

@RsZk @Veneet

The multimeter says I have 25mV of DC at the outlet if we can trust it. It would make sense though since the transformer was humming prior to the P20 (it just wasn’t nearly as loud).

Is the P20 supposed to block DC? If not, would its function amplify the DC on the line through its conversion?

@Paul any Humbusters lying around you could send me to test?

My understanding is that the P20 is supposed to block the DC. Have you plugged a cord into the P20 output and done the same test with the multimeter to measure DC?

Sorry just added output, tested output of the P20

Good idea! The reading was the same out of the P20. Not really sure how accurate these measurements are though, not sure if its a bullshit number or not that I am getting out.

I will admit that when I was going through this I went a bit nuts and ended buying a Fluke Meter, which was more accurate than my crappy amazon special 10 dollar one. But my DC test was pretty accurate. You could always test a couple batteries

The P20 should block incoming DC. I don’t have any Humbusters left. Wish we did!

You don’t need a Humbuster if you have a P20. Besides, Humbusters can introduce other problems in your electrics.

@Paul

Troubleshooting with PS Audio customer support wasn’t going anywhere fast. To quote their response directly:

Response

It sure as hell seemed like the P20 to me seeing as only after connecting my amps to it did they begin buzzing obnoxiously loud. So I decided to initiate my own troubleshooting methodology in purchasing an Emotiva CMX2 as @RsZk suggested. I connected my amps to the CMX2 and the CMX2 to the P20, the humming has completely disappeared. It appears that the P20 is adding its own DC offset to its AC output.

When I got home this evening my McIntosh C1100 pre-amp plugged into the P20 would not power on. I unplugged it and tried a wall outlet still no luck. It is awfully coincidental that all these things are happening to my gear since I got the P20.

The CMX2 is connected to the output of the P20, and the buzz went away, right?

It is connected to the output and yes the buzz went away:

AMP–>CMX2–>P20–>Wall

And the CMX2 is a DC offset blocker. So all the symptoms are pointing at the P20 adding a DC offset to your AC. This is a brand new P20 that doesn’t work properly out of the box? Sounds like you need an RMA and send it back.

1 Like