P20 display BEWARE

@jamesh my display is exhibiting signs of burn in. Is this something that can be replaced at home or do I have to send it in? I’m reticent to ship FedEx since my previous bad experiences with several P20s and FedEx. I finally got a undamaged unit by insisting on freight shipping on a pallet.

vee I wonder if buried in the settings there could be a
flash the screen with a burst of light that could clear
the burn in effect…function

My understanding is that it ain’t very difficult to replace. However, we have a pretty general policy that we don’t allow customers to do field repairs while something is still under warranty. I’m not the one that makes this decision. This is something you would need to bring to tjt@psaudio.com and marks@psaudio.com

@ jamesh, having the possebility to turn of the display completely would be a nice feature and hopefully this will come with a firmware update. I am blind and therefore I do not need the display at all, so turning it of completely and make sure that nothing burns in would be perfect.

2 Likes

If you press the dim button on your remote, it appears to turn the display
completly off…

There is a simple way to turn it off. If you hit the dim button on the remote, which is the top left button on the unit, it will turn it off. It will still receive commands from the remote and comes on for maybe 3 seconds, but then turn right back off.

jamesh by dimming the display…will this help prolong
the panel’s service life ?

Absolutely. At least on mine, dim completely shuts off the display. More of a “screen off” button and less of “Dim” in my opinion.

1 Like

“Righto” …

With OLED, it would not work, since certain color pixels actually get dimmer, one would have to essentially wear out the other OLED colors to get the brightness 100% even with one another. Under normal use I would not worry about burn in (I don’t, and I tend to be cautious about everything) (by normal use I mean turn the display on when you want/need to see info, turn the display off when you don’t)

2 Likes

I can’t be the only one who thinks this discussion is a lot of talk about a non-issue. I don’t understand why anyone would want to leave the screen on all the time with a P20. The information presented is static unless you have crazy power.

2 Likes

I dislike lights and displays and leave off as many as I can. I thus have never given any thought to burn-in or other screen wear.

It would however be good to include a warning in the manual that if you leave the screen on extensively you may experience screen burn-in. The challenge is users will then demand to know precisely what “extensively” means. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

As I said at the start, I don’t need to see my P20. So, it being out of sight, I thought my display was off but it wasn’t and the display burned in. It’s not a crisis. Just a suggestion that PSA think about having it automatically dim in order to avoid this happening.

1 Like

I must agree with @RonP particularly since it is not the default behavior for the unit to dim automatically. There is no way this is not a very simple feature to add through a firmware update.

Thanks friend, I surmised as much and this is what I have
done with my regenerators. The screen is very nifty to
verify info, and turn on an or off certain zones…

Thanks guys…

Wishing you all a wonderful new year!!!

Isn’t that the case :upside_down_face:

1 Like

I can see this happening. If my PowerPlant was where I could not see it I could easily not pay attention to the screen and, as a non-video person, it is unlikely possible burn-in would cross my mind.

2 Likes

I, like you, turn screens off. But there are those who really like their screens. So the mfr should work to preserve them. Shouldn’t be difficult.

I agree. None of my displays on the DAC, DMP, P10 show any signs of burn in. I keep the brightness low and turn off displays. These displays are LCD not OLED. They are quite resistant to burn in.

Hello,

is there a way to turn off the display without the remote control? (P12) Turning it on is possible by touching the display. But it is turned off again automatically very quickly.

It would be great if it was possible to configure the screen to be turned off by default when turning on the device. Maybe after an idle time of x seconds, where x should be configurable (e.g. 10 seconds).