P20 display BEWARE

Because of where my P20 is placed, I can’t see the display. I tend to keep the display off, but I noticed that it was on and for long enough that the image is burned in.
Would it not make sense to have the display automatically scroll or time off in order to avoid this?
The screen looks ridiculous now. Even more reason to keep it dark now.

1 Like

Hey Ronp,

From P5 to P12 to P15…when the lcd panel is not needed I switch it off.
My thinking is that in so doing (turning off the lcd panel) the life
span on these can be prolonged…

What the mtbf for these is an idk for me.

Suggest turn off when not in immediate use…
more peace of mind perhaps…

1 Like

I think it was a mistake to not consider this in design.

1 Like

It probably was…
It would be great to hear from the “whizkid” jamesh
himself he could answer that for sure!!

Thanks Ron, our P20 is placed behind the rack so I always turn off the display since I cannot see it; It is good to know it could burn in.

A workaround is to power unit off, and use the ALWAYS ON feature on the outlet banks. I do this in my office system. Everything gets switched on manually anyway.

The only thing switched in my main system is the power amp for speaker listening, and I’m a 90-95 percent headphone guy, so the P12 screen doesn’t get much use time.

By looking at the screen of my P12 it has to be an OLED (I have an OLED TV (and cell phone) and therefore recognize the vibrant color of the P12 as being an OLED), and because of that I keep the screen off except when I need to view the screen. Red, green and yellow images are the worst static image colors for OLED burn in.

I almost always keep the screen off on my P20. I do wish that the nice PS Audio logo button would stay illuminated in blue to show that the rig is on, but alas the two are tied together, it seems.

What are the screen technologies where image burn-in is a problem? I am not a video/TV person.

My 10+ year-old Sony KDL-52XBR9 does not appear to have any issue. I think it is LCD .

LCD TV’s have several layers from the back to the front of the TV.

1. Back cover
  2. lighting (currently white LED lighting)
  3. filters
  4. LCD pixels
  5. filters
  6. front glass
    This is because LCD’s are not a light source and need some sort of lighting behind the pixels in order for us to see them.

OLED is the light source and the pixels all in one, so a cross section back to front is

1. back cover
  2. OLED
  3. front glass
    Images on OLED tv’s have an advantage with smoother, cleaner and deeper color versus LCD technology and have blacker blacks versus LCD tv’s (not criticizing LCD tv’s, as they have a phenomenal picture quality that continue to improve as technology continues to improve).
    The big downside to OLED is that the red pixel dims before the green, blue and white pixels dim. When there’s a static red, yellow or green logo on the tv, it will dim the red pixel first before the other pixels dim, therefore causing a permanent image retention. I have an LG OLED tv, and absolutely love the picture quality of the TV, but I do not watch content that has static images on the screen. A website called rtings did a burn-in test of OLED tv’s with various content and alot of detailed information that I only touched on here Real Life OLED Burn-In Test on 6 TVs - RTINGS.com
1 Like

Interesting and helpful.

Channel bugs (in the lower right) must be a real problem.

1 Like

I always dim mine in fear of that happening, Im glad I have done that. It seems like a very small thing to fix through a firmware update.

Hey jamesh…please tell us what the mtbf for the touch panels
on our regenerators is…what is the expected useful life of these?

Thanks “whizkid”

I like the display and prefer it on when I am listening, but not at the risk of damage.
It would be good to hear from PSA on this.

I’ll see if I can get some info from the team. It should be rather long as this is not a common complaint I hear from folks. I am someone that keeps the display off. I sit far away enough from my P15 that the info on the display is unreadable. If you want to see the info while it’s set to dim, you can tap on the display and it will come on for a few seconds.

2 Likes

@jamesh,
I left mine on for a few weeks prior to starting to use DIM feature. I noticed no burn in. A time rotating display graph screen saver would be a cool option showing the various performance curves of the power as an alternative. My only complaint there is the cursive font for Distortion, and other choices is difficult to read from a normal listening distance. It beckons to the day of the 50s or 60s car emblems. They did that to keep the letters straight when hand applied. Other than that the style generally sucks and is not easy to read. Imagine an eye exam with that font.

2 Likes

I completely agree. With PowerPlay up and running again, it makes the display even less useful. I think there would be much more utility if you could scroll through the in/out values and have them displayed as big numbers. Similar to when you adjust the volume on the DSD with the remote.

1 Like

A performance curve is an easy read and is cool to show things off. But the resolution of screen is so poor I had to result to the manual in order to figure out what the titles were saying. So one big auto scrolling performance graph is a plus versus three graphs on on one page. Digital display in numerical form is easy to read but not as easy to discern when in a gauge format like what newer pilot displays or speedometer displays that do pictographs versus just numbers.

Thanks jamesh for your reply…on my p15’s display I lowered the
brightness.Hopefully doing this prolongs the lifespan of the
touch screen.

Also keep display off when not needed.