P20 & P15 Regenerator Performance Tweaks and Digital Stream Enhancements, plus BHK Preamp

Your absorber testing was with the sheet on top of the unit, yes?

Yes I have been waiting for power cord and fuses to settle. Before internal install. I’d be happy if it stayed the same or improved further.

1 Like

I am not sure you will have same success if you kept length at 3.75 and just put up to front of the-lid. If you decided not to over lap EMI strip then trimming to 3.5 inches might be better. Part of my measurements dealt with influence of the electro magnetic field through the toroid transformer and its induced flow. The faraday Lenz Law. I am surmising were wires go into and out of the transformer is associated with this induced field. If you look at pictures of how it is wired inside P20. Connections come from front of the unit. In my placement tests and sonic good sound coverage of front half of transformer sounded better than from back half, right half or left half or entirely covering the transformer. So covering front half of circle helps induce current flow. Therefore sounds better. The other directions do nothing or degrade sound.

My trials showed a 1/4” further aft influenced the sound quite noticeable being less vibrant.

Here is excerpt from the physics lesson link previous.

1 Like

Synergistic Research let’s you evaluate the Fuses also! :confounded:

Are you trying to convince Al that fuses can make a big difference? Well, good luck!! :joy:

1 Like

I blew a fuse on my Gryphon Antileon Evo amplifier. When I ordered a replacement brand that was recommended in the manual I ordered 10 each of the three different fuses hidden inside. The bill for 30 fuses came to $9.77 and they added $9.99 for shipping. So almost $20 for thirty fuses! Robbery!!!

1 Like

I know there is a whole thread about this so I won’t labour the point, but for me Purple SR fuse made a positive improvement to my P20, Orange SR made a negative impact. Also according to my uk dist, they have life time guarantee

Gee Al, with all you have invested in your gear…you need to get on with it
and try a purple fuse…all you need is the main fuse on your P20 to start with,
then very patiently go through the burn in cycle…

You will wonder why you didn’t do it sooner…Resitance Is Futile !! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: :grin: :innocent:

Get on with it guy…give it a shot!!

Best wishes Al…

1 Like

I’m curious about the absorber sheet on the P20. If it’s eliminating radiant noise, how is it improving the sound of the P20? Or are you stacking components on top of or very close to your P20?

I, too am trying to understand what this helps with practically.

Posted this earlier:

"And, what does it protect (how does it reduce noise or whatever) by absorbing the EMF?

For example, is it a matter of diverting the EMF from the innards that can affect power pulled from the outlets? And/or does it serve as a sink protecting nearby equipment from the EMF?"

I have not received a direct response so far.

I don’t doubt the potential benefits of this type of shielding/absorption, just looking for some better clarity/understanding here.

Cheers.

I cannot believe Gryphon uses such cheap fuses! Just cannot believe it. I think PSA came with high quality fuses.

Please review its data sheet. At link below.

It works inside an enclosure as well as outside. Its not going to absorb longer frequency or non electro magnetic emissions outside the unit but ulra high frequency ones yes it will since they go through small holes or gaps or a magnetic field through metals.

Details from 3M site.

• Flexible, high permeability magnetic sheets
  • One-sided acrylic pressure-sensitive adhesive
  • Low Halogen version of AB7000 series absorbers.
  • Less than 900 ppm bromine and chlorine
  • Less that 1500 ppm total bromine and chlorine
  • Meets guidelines set forth in IEC 61249-2-21.
  • Easily die cut into complex shapes
  • Consists of a flexible polymer resin loaded with soft metal flakes
  • Acrylic pressure-sensitive adhesive allows for easy application
  • Improved lower frequency absorber vs. the AB5000 or AB5000S series (@ < 1 GHz)
  • Reduce EMI and RF noise in electronic systems
  • Apply to noisy traces, IC’s and reflective surfaces in an enclosure

3M™ EMI Absorber AB7050HF. This low-halogen, flexible, high-permeability magnetic sheet is a broadband absorber for near-field applications in the 50 MHz-10 GHz range. Easily die cut. Backing thickness of 0.55 mm.

1 Like

If I may ask. How did the orange fuse make a negative impact? Negative over stack? Or negative over purple? Thank you.

Thanks for that. But how does it improve the sound quality of the P20 or any device that the sheet is attached to?

Yes it converts radiated energy created inside P20 from digital components into heat stopping it from reflecting or bouncing around and being picked up snd transmitted in the power lines flowing out of P20.

The P20 is a D class amp and DAC with FPGA both can have high frequency emissions as well as the display.

2 Likes

Thanks for the additional information/reply…appreciate you taking the time to get into all of the details with this tweak.

Regards.

1 Like

It is lowering the noise floor inherent in the power lines and allows the low level spatial details, or vocal inflections, string vibration, the extra ring you hear with a bell in your hand, flex of the drum head to come through.

These other unwanted HF get amplified by our equipment chain though not in audible spectrum and cover up what we hear and mask those wanted details in the recording from being heard. Once you hear it with or without the micro microphone details you will be convinced. These small micro-details matter to our brains and should sound better to you. There will always be an audiophile that doesn’t like it. But it’s not a 6K Stealth power cord but imparts a lot of the same effects though much more less costly it even helped Al’s system of 30K plus of cords. Does same for a $300 cord but you will still get better sound if you have 3K cords.

Thinking about laying sheet or two on the outside top of my DMP and DSD, aligned/near their displays, to see if efficacious.

Thoughts…?

Just turned on the system after a week of shut down. I got the 3M sheet and will try it tomorrow night since it takes a day for the system to come back alive. I did find the transformer screw in on the left front side of P15; not at the center. So,it will take some experiments in trying to find the sweet spot (assuming I can hear the differences).

1 Like

Given transformer is left and display is right. I would try t from top first. Using sheet longest length and also 8 inch width. Trying to find which rectangle will cover half the forward and width of semicircle of toroidal transformer and display. You may need two pieces with a square slightly overlaps toroidal diameter and narrow rectangle for display or something of an irregular polygon. I would definitely start with transformer first. It will become apparent fairy quickly what is affecting sound.

I did not have much time to listen tonight but for this Album. It was Sinatra with in the room realism I had never experienced. The absorber really takes Regenerator performance to next level once you find the right position.

2 Likes