P20 - the best way to turn it off

For safety? Efficiency?

The tea and tongue analogy doesn’t work I’m afraid. As you sip tea you also simultaneously take in air and mix it with air which automatically acts to cool the tea. This is further cooled by mixing with saliva to add to the cooling effect. Added to that the amount of tea sipped at any one time is disproportionately small, by volume, to the rest of your mouth. Place your tongue onto the heat sink of an amplifier (NOT TO BE TAKEN LITERALLY) and you will feel the fallacy of your statement

Also if your internal body temp ever got to 42 deg C I don’t think you would know too much about it

1 Like

Mostly safety
And efficiency for some reactions.

2 Likes

I’ve told this to a number of people that have been concerned about the heat from their gear. If you can keep your hand on it for more than 15 seconds, there’s nothing to worry about. If it burns your hand, that ain’t a good sign. I keep my house unreasonably cool in the winter (17.5C) and the heatsinks on my BHK 250 after a number of hours playing are simply nice and warm. Far from hot.

2 Likes

A good rule of thumb . . . er hand.

2 Likes

I am using the web interface to switch certain zones on P20 on and off, as needed. I don’t touch P20 itself unless it hangs, which happens occasionally.

I find the web interface much more useful than the remote.

You are a positive addition to the forum because you help me refresh my knowledge. I am glad my memory is still good at my age. LOL. Please make sure you red this.

1 Like

Many people survive 42 without any side effects if helped with an ice bag or a cor a cold shower. If left unattended for hours, as noted above, the nervous system is at risk. We need to get you an overseas job job with Baker Hughes or Schlumberger to help you know what your body can endure. They pay very well, and I mean really well.

Although this is not a medical forum I am happy to banter with you on this topic. The article you refer to is concerned with scalds and burns. Yes the human body can tolerate incredible damage to skin and tissue caused by heat, not that you would want to subject it to that unnecessarily and the resultant damage to skin at high temperatures is not pleasant to see. As a health care professional with 35 years experience I can attest to that fact.
In an earlier post you refer to the internal body temperature as being 42 centigrade. That is not the case, normal adult body temperature is considered to range between approximately 36.6 and 37.1 centigrade.
Thank you for commenting on my education, you obviously realised I have a PhD in medicine.

I guess that’s only a good rule of thumb if touching a heat sink directly, not the housing of a component where inner or outer heat sinks transfer their heat (by air or even physical connection) to the housing. Ther a much longer „able to touch time“ than 15 seconds might be critical already imo.

Even when touching a heat sink itself, I only remember the 15 sec range (ok maybe 10 sec :wink: ) from my big full class A amps. I wouldn’t expect such heat from an AB device.

Congratulations on your scientific achievement. Well done.

2 Likes

One needs to exercise some common sense, certainly.

I would investigate if any part of any component is too hot to touch more than briefly.

We are leaving for Maui for one week :golfing_man: :man_cartwheeling:

Is better to turn off P15 from the back to shut down the system? Or is it better to turn the blue button on top left off? What is the difference anyway?

For a week or more I would probably shut it down from the rear.
That completely powers down everything.

The front panel switch just shuts off any outlets that are programmed to shut off with that switch.
The P15 remains fully powered.

2 Likes

That’s probably a good idea, and I have been doing that in the past. Thanks!

I think it’s safer if you put your P15 in your luggage, bringing it on the beach with the family. How horrible and cruel is to abandon gear for vacation!

3 Likes

Ha, then I need to take some fine wine out of luggage which is a no-no to my boss. iPad with a noise canceling earphones are what I’m allowed to bring.

The worst thing is after turning on the cold system it takes two day for it to act normal after a vacation. It’s a protest from my system.

1 Like

Beloved systems tend to be very sensitive, as much as wives sometimes.
A gift like a new cable or fuse might mitigate this bad feeling when you come back, as much as wives ALWAYS!

When I’m out of home less than 1 week my P20 stays always on. If I’m out for longer periods I shut it off and unplug also the Dragon from the wall.

2 Likes

That is interesting to take out the Dragon from the wall. I keep it on the wall to keep it warm. The house is cold in the winter, even in California.

We are leaving in a couple of days, and I hope I can stay out of this forum. But laying on the beach I still have iPad with me. It’s hard to resist.

Between my two dental operations, I have been saving a bit for another Dragon Source. It seems there’s always a cable needs an upgrade.

2 Likes