P5 questions

I have a simple question and an issue.

1. Is the ferrule that came with the P5 used for the network cable? If yes which end. If no, whats it for?

2. The outlet labels look right on my pc and phone but not the unit itself. Anyone else having the same issue? The name on the outlet on the computer does not match the screen on the unit.

Otherwise im definitely enjoying the unit. I upgraded the main cable and the cable to my amp and definitely noticed additional bass output.

I don’t understand the question.

Do you mean a ferrite clamp for the network cable? If so I wasn’t aware these were shipping with P5. I think they shipped with DMP, and (from memory) you clamp the component end.

As for the other question, you mean you’ve assigned meaningful names to device outlets in the webUI, but these are not showing on the device touchscreen?

My P10 also came with a ferrite “block” to attatch to the internet data cable. I believe this is what the question is about. I attached mine to the cable at the connection with the P10 (as shown in the user manual).

I think I remember Paul posting that the DMP shouldn’t / didn’t need the ferrite block.

Indeed the ferrite block is for the internet data cable and is required - not by us - but by “them”.114_gif

Paul,

Can you clarify this? I don’t think my P5 came with a ferrite clamp and it seems to work OK, including the internet connection. Is the P10 different from the P5 in this regard?

More generally, I have lots of things connected to my home network and none of the Ethernet cables has a clamp. I had no idea this was needed. (Some of my power supplies and such do have the ferrite blocks on their cords.) Thanks!

FWIW, I run my P10 without it and everything works just fine. I think if you read between the lines, just a little bit, Paul is saying it’s completely unnecessary. I’m sure it’s provided based upon some arcane FCC rule. The unintended consequence of government.

Thanks – you’re probably right. But that begs the question of whether all Ethernet-connected devices are supposed to have these gizmos (and everybody ignores the rule) or if there’s something special about a P10 or P5 – because they actually (re)generate electric current??

Just guessing but “they” might refer to European regulators, or some other specific jurisdiction. Those of us in other jurisdictions presumably did not get them (I don’t recall getting a ferrite ring, but it’s been years and my memory ain’t what it used to be).

I hadn’t thought of that angle. I don’t know where Anthony is, but Frank is in Australia and he got one.

Thanks. I had a network cable with one so it’s all fine.

On on the other point. I have my outlets labeled for example 1-pre, 2-dac, etc.

i do do it through a browser on my iPad and it all shows ok. Go to the p5 display and one is the pre, 3 is the dac. It incorrectly assigns the names.

Thanks again to everyone for the responses. I can’t imagine what the p10 can do because the p5 made a noticeable difference.

Anthony said

…On on the other point. I have my outlets labeled for example 1-pre, 2-dac, etc.

i do do it through a browser on my iPad and it all shows ok. Go to the p5 display and one is the pre, 3 is the dac. It incorrectly assigns the names…

Can you contact PS Audio support about this…if it’s a bug they need to know about it.