Papa's lemon pasta

@JeffofArabica, good initiative, below the video I asked Paul if he could publish the Papa Lemon Pasta.

But, is there really nothing Brodric can write in this forum without being accused of bickering.

I think this whole forum can use a good Gin & Tonic and :blush:

2 Likes

Maybe ‘Lemon Chicken’ would be the best of both worlds (have to ask my wive for the recipe)…

And “lemon theory” seems to be this:

https://is.theorizeit.org/wiki/Lemon_Market_Theory

"[…] - product type, product quality/fit uncertainty, seller uncertainty

Price of product

• Acclaimed product quality by selling party
  • Expected/perceived product quality by buying party
  • Actual quality of the product
  • Average market price of the product

etc. etc.

Anyway, enjoy your pork chops, Brodric…

Ahhhh, yes, I suppose I should. I am not much on recipes so this might not fit into your standard recipe mold.

The sauce is the deal. You can use any pasta you like though I prefer the smaller penne type myself.

The trick to this recipe is low heat and a good pan. I use All Clad pans because of their even heat but cast iron would be almost as good (its hysteresis is hard to deal with).

On the lowest heat possible melt a half stick of unsalted butter and a reasonable amount of excellent olive oil (enough of both to fill the bottom of the pan.

Slowly cook a handful of chopped shallots and garlic (maybe three cloves of garlic) so they gently turn translucent. To that add the zest of an entire lemon. :lemon: Stir on occasion (meanwhile the pound of pasta is cooking).

Once the smells of garlic and olive oil permeate the room gently add a few handfuls of peeled and chopped (I like big chunks of firm tomatoes) heirloom tomatoes. Slowly cook these until they begin to integrate into the sauce just a little (but
maintain a semblance of their original chunks). Now, squeeze 1/4 of a lemon into the sauce, add a small portion of red pepper flakes, a handful of fresh basil, sea salt to taste (you’re cutting the acidity of the lemon to the point where it flips to savory)
and gently infuse.

As soon as the smells reach a point of near orgasm, remove the heat and add the pasta, tossing as you do to coat the pasta evenly. The sauce will likely be a bit thick if you’re using an entire pound of pasta, as I do. Scoop out a cup or so of
the pasta water with all that nice starch and add to the sauce to get the consistency of a sauce. Toss in just a smidge more fresh basil until you can smell it, then serve.

I often add a touch of grated Regiano Parmesan if people want it.

7 Likes

I thought you were converting to metric?

Thanks. I’ll be sure to, if they supply a wheel barrow to get me from the watering hole to the feeding frenzy.

Without any pork fat in the recipe I don’t think I can get that far…

Thanks @Paul, my wife just had a surgery and it’s my turn to cook for the kids now, something new and fresh like this is welcome.

I’m not a vegetarian and probable like @Brodric I like my share of salami (pork) in the macaroni. But we had that so often and it’s nice to try something completely new.

When you are in a real hurry, it’s nice to eat pasta just with Olive Oil and garlic cut to small pieces. To the choice some red hot pepper flakes . After serving parmessiano or grana padano, or ground pepper and sea salt.

Off course some good music in the back ground.

Thanks Paul! I heard you describe it in the video and wanted to try it myself. Didn’t realize I’d be inadvertently starting some sort of flame war (good heavens…it’s PASTA people…). I’ll give Papa’s a try soon.

I’m a superfan. Not ashamed of it either.

I’m a superfan. Not ashamed of it either.

1 Like

Ashamed not, you or any others shall feel as @Brodric is too! However, this truth is only revealed when the discussion pertains to the Immaculate Conception (i.e. Magico and Esoteric).

Just beware of Judas.

I can’t be a Pharisee…very plainly and clearly I said above I’m a worshiper of pork chop and bacon…I suspect the Pharisee Jews would have an issue with that and excommunicate me on that basis. Seriously, I’m beginning to think a few of the Superfans are selective readers. Or shoot from the hip too willingly without thinking about it beforehand. Quick, more petrol for the fire!

Dude, sometimes you are just too literal.

1 Like

Well, I don’t think I’ve proselytized either in about the past 6 days, so my proselytizing must be dragging the chain a bit. If either species were to break down I’ll jump on here immediately and mention that fact. However, likely long time waiting for that. My faulty electricity doesn’t seem to hurt them. Whereas something else…well, I’ll momentarily save you all from repeating myself on that one again.

Perhaps you didn’t get it. The only thing that was asked, was for Paul to publish his funny recipe. We are put to test if we are worthy of our US$ 200 to US$ 300 pans.

I like my Hendricks Gin in Dirty Martini. One day I’ll learn how to make the Damn things myself. In the meantime…another glass of 18yr. old Glenfiddich is calling me :grin:

1 Like

Oh yeah, Scotch, I am in. Another thread about Scotch and while were at it a little comparison between Linn and PS Audio. :exploding_head:

I still can’t convert °F to °C but I know it’s F’in hot here in Phoenix. That’s the problem with us Canuck’s. Yet km to miles has never been an issue.

1 Like

Algorithm - (32F − 32) × 5/9 = 0.0 °C
AZ temp story - so my wife bought a thermometer for outside and hung it out side. One summer it exploded in July - ~125F (51.7C) in that area of the yard… too funny, went to read it and… hey, where is the mercury? Damn, gone…

2 Likes

We had a meeting at the Biltmore in Phoenix in September, some years ago. The pres of one of our biz units felt like giving a talk in the garden just after lunch. Five minutes into his drone, the misters stopped misting and we had to flee back into the a/c. Some of us didn’t make it. Never found them. We think they burst into a hot vapor. Wow, it’s hot there!

2 Likes