Pass Labs XA-60.8 vs X-260.8

I went through the same quandary when I got the FR30’s. Go with an A or AB amp from Pass or check out the BHK 600’s. I like class A and not to think about tubes. However, as a BHK 300 owner as well, I didn’t want to give up dynamics or sonics. I was surprised how better the 600’s sounded and had a rock solid control of the speaker. I like Pass but think the Class A versions may not cut the mustard, or give any dynamic advantage over your 300’s. The 600’s are in a different class in all areas and the price was is right. Happy and not looking back.

1 Like

Another thing to keep in mind about Pass Labs Amos is that the power ratings are at 0.1% distortion, whereas most quite their power at 1.0% distortion. That’s right, isn’t it? Real useable power often surprises people.
I own M700s and a INT30A - different listening experiences I enjoy very much, each with pros and cons. However, I’ve never once felt the Pass Labs to lack dynamic punch. I will say that a REL S510 is helping.

@Baldy 84db doesn’t necessarily mean the speakers are hard to drive, it may just take some decent wattage to get higher spl’s. Connect the 300’s to an apogee scintilla and see what happens.

@mark-d what you wrote is true, but we are talking about pass labs amps which have decent current.

How are “watts” different than amperage? I am confused.

Hey Paul Merry Christmas

Perhaps an analogy could be horsepower vs torque or water pressure vs water quantity
from a given pipe diameter. Same pressure just different delivery rate…
so maybe watts pressure vs amps current.

Best wishes

1 Like

I believe without proper current delivery into a low impedance load the distortion factors begin to rise regardless of how many watts are per channel.

1 Like

Some of the main reasons the Parasound JC5 came home to stay and play for me
are:

The sweetness of my former Parasound A21’s first 8 watts Class A
The first 12 watts are Class A then AB on up to 400 watts 8ohms/ channel.
The max 90 amp output/channel.
Shielded 1.7 kva torroid transformer
Refinements abounding from the inputs to the outputs. Basically 2 JC1+s distilled
onto to one chassis.

Desiring to have more of Class A than my A21 with output up to 400 watts/ channel for
more than ample reserves to create great soundstage width, height and depth back to
front. Highly detailed very quick and smooth.

Knowing how good tubes sound but desiring to move away from these…and have
the same degree of sweetness and if not better dynamics…The JC5 delivers with
refined authority…Highly recommend…

The JC1+ far more so than JC5.

My .002 appreciation of Parasound amps.

Merry Christmas everyone
Best wishes

The XA60.8 puts out way more in AB than the 60/120 it does in Class A…The XA160.8 sounds both more powerful and way better than the X250.8, as it should, but to me the difference was way more than I expected…I plan on matching with the XA160.8 with FR20 and subs, or FR30…

1 Like

Proof of the pudding is in the taste. Maybe once you have your speakers established, take the time to listen to the Pass amp of choice and the BHK600’s. As mentioned, maybe you can get a FR20/600 system purchase from the mothership. Worth a shot and would give you a taste of the designed synergy.

Hi @Sohail, I’ve read only recently this thread, a bit late sorry.

Due to our very similar systems, rack included, I was so curious to know if Pass Labs amps finally entered into your life and what are your thoughts about them. I might be on the same path in a pretty far future.

TIA

Luca

If your looking at a possible amp change I would suggest you look into Audia Flight amps built in Civitavecchia.

1 Like

Thanks, if I recall well somebody told me about their phono preamps.
One more name on my list, great. Even if I’m just looking around without a real scheduled plan, you know when you start hearing that whispering voice at the back of your mind, call it the audiophile evil!

I am very familiar with that voice and have been ignoring it while I concentrate on the room building, consolidation of houses and the resultant move and purge. I would think finding a dealer for a native brand shouldn’t be that hard and certainly priced better than an import with better service.

1 Like

I would agree with you but IME (Ricable, Sonus faber and Gold Note) I had easier or faster contacts to owner’s brand or staff from the other side of the ocean (PS Audio for sure and Pass Labs from what I read on forums).
As for prices and maintenance service, you are right, clearly better keeping closer distances. As for reselling market, still overseas and well known products win.

Hi Luca

Not yet. I am on a waiting list for the XA60.8’s. Hopefully sometime in late April.

Sohail

2 Likes

Have them on order from Mark at RenoHifi?

Yes. Assuming that was a question!

2 Likes

Thanks, looking forward from hearing to you how they sounds compared to our similar systems. Good luck! If I may ask, why did you choose class A vs A/B?

You will be pleased. Happy for you. Now to move those M700s out of the way.