paypal seller not responding and not shipping my item

I was not sure where to post this so I tried here. So I bought something on another site and it looks like the seller is trying to take my money. He has been a member of this other audio forum for 10 years and had 4 positive transactions so I thought I was safe. It has only been one week but I have emailed him several times and no response. Has anyone tried to get there money back on a paypal order that has gone bad. I have heard a lot of people really don’t like paypal so I am hoping that if this seller does not ship that they will be able to refund my money, thanks

I have never had a problem, but I have seen reports of others with similar issues where PayPal stepped in upon receiving a complaint. Given it is a holiday weekend in the States where many take additional holiday I would give it until next week before acting further, but if you are truly worried I suggest contacting PayPal right away.

Yes if you have tried all reasonable avenues to contact the seller and they have taken you money then lodge a complaint with PayPal. Give all the information you can. If the complaint is upheld PP will refund your money.

I have been successful with fraudulent sellers on PP.

Thanks for the responses. I have never had a problem in 10 years of buying gear online. To me there really is no excuse to not at least communicate with me if there is a problem, holiday or not. He has my money and not communicating or sending my gear is starting to tick me off. I will give him a couple more days but my patience is wearing thin

I had a similar issue on Audiogon, at the time PayPal was still owned by eBay so their interest was low in my predicament. PayPal did say they could not refund my money because the seller did not have a PayPal balance. The amount was only about $150 so it stung but wasn’t a financial disaster. The seller (who had good long term feedback) screwed a few other folks at the same time then disappeared. No problems with many other PayPal transactions since then so I chalk it up to a fluke. I would definitively contact PayPal and the site where the seller posted and hope for the best. Also, if it is a large sum of money a police report may be a good idea.

pmotz said PayPal did say they could not refund my money because the seller did not have a PayPal balance.
Makes sense, unfortunately. If you your PayPal account is tied to your credit card, I would contest the charge with them as well. I don't know how they would respond (the issue is with the seller, not PayPal who initiated the charge, but it may help.)

It’s not easy but try to be somewhat patient. You never know the circumstances. I sold an amp via audiogon to a buyer in Milwaukee. She offered to pick it up at my place of business in Chicago. NP for me. Just a few hours before she was to arrive, she canceled without any additional info. I reached out and asked if she wanted me to ship the amp. No response for over a week. Now I have her money but still. It’s understood that as a seller, you get paid and then deliver quickly. I was holding over $1k of her money and the amp: I heard nothing! Two weeks later I found out there was a tragic death in her family. She still wanted the amp. I cheerfully shipped it to her.

So the seller finally contacted me and said that he changed his mind about selling. I am thinking maybe somebody offered him more money? Anyway I have my money back so now I am shopping again

That bites, but you did get your money back. I think you would have been ok anyway, as I have read that PayPal usually sides with the buyer. That is one reason sellers don’t like PayPal. These days, as a seller you need to fully insure, and require an in person signature. If you can, I would leave Feedback, or report to Audiogon. Who changes their mind?

It used to be that eBay, and Audiogon were both very safe, now there are way too many scammers out there. One thing to look for is the type of Feedback. Is it all on purchases? Are they for low dollar items? Is much of the praise coming from one or two sellers? You get a few guys who set up auctions, and then immediately it is sold. It looks good, but it is vaporware, just done to generate Feedback.

The last time I bought on Audiogon it was from a dealer, who I dealt with on the phone. If a seller won’t call you to discuss a high buck purchase, it is a red flag. Honest sellers who are doing it to upgrade, not as a business, will usually welcome an audio related call.

Wow! I thought pp held the $$ until product arrived to the buyer. I have only 3 purchases via p.p. all were successful(%€?$@# spell checker).

T.

Elk said

I have never had a problem, but I have seen reports of others with similar issues where PayPal stepped in upon receiving a complaint. Given it is a holiday weekend in the States where many take additional holiday I would give it until next week before acting further, but if you are truly worried I suggest contacting PayPal right away.

Yes i have had these problems and yes unless bought as a gift you should be covered by pay pal … if bought on credit card covered by charge back with credit card company…