Perfect Wave DAC MK II upgrade to Direct Stream Q&A please

Alekz is correct. The whole (original) purpose of WaveStream was to make Bridge One do gapless. To the extent it worked, the WaveStream beta did just that. I believe Paul has said that WaveStream will also be needed for Bridge II, although I’m not clear as to whether it is absolutely essential to do gapless over Bridge II (WS also lets people play internet radio or any other source that they could play on their computer to the Bridge). Btw, I have gapless now using foobar2000 and the Bridge so it certainly can be done with Bridge One. WaveStream (and foobar2000 with the right plug-in) sends a continuous stream to the Bridge so there is no gap as the buffer fills up, except for the first track (or on sample rate changes).

Stevem2 is right. WaveStream is a driver used on the computer to deliver computer audio to the PWD/Bridge. This can be gapless audio from your favorite player. It can also be Internet radio or any other audio services available on your computer. It will deliver any audio from your computer to the Bridge or Bridge Mk.II (when it is available) and the PWD/Bridge will play it exactly as it was sent.

Bridge Mk.II is supposed to be able to provide gapless playback from any UPNP/DLNA media server without any other requirements. I hope that its Ethernet services are considerably more robust than those of the original Bridge.

And: even if the Bridge’s buffer is many megabytes it only takes milliseconds to process the first block of audio through it and not many more milliseconds to fill it up. The buffer does not have to be full before data can be retrieved from it.

J.P.

wingsounds13 is right

(to short-circuit the crossreferences :smiley: )

Bridge II will pre-buffer the beginning of the next track before the current one has ended.

This is part of the Linn uPnP extensions.

Most of you are right.

Foobar DOES do gapless to the Bridge.

stevem2 said: I have gapless now using foobar2000 and the Bridge so it certainly can be done with Bridge One.
woot said: Foobar DOES do gapless to the Bridge.

Apparently this is so ;)

Not to poo poo on the parade here but, for $6000 this thing better wash my face, and take the dog’s for a walk. IMO I think it’s a bit overpriced, unless someone can prove me wrong. Yes it’s great, and it’s new technology, and for what it is supposed to do but, holy crap lemmings. So…I expect hate mail for this but…just sayin.

I just realized I made a mistake, Stevem2 said “wave” stream, with all this talk of the new DAC I got my head stuck on “direct” stream and missed his point, duh! Yes Wavestream (or is it called something else now?) will correct the gapless problem. Sorry for the mistake. Alekz, thanks for the explanation of the issue, can’t say as I’ve seen that before, but I’m sure it’s been said. Not sure I understand the problem, but trust it WILL get resolved in our lifetime!

Hey, nothing wrong with a “show me” attitude. By all means, listen first and if you don’t like it or if the perceived benefit isn’t worth the expense then you can choose not to partake. Nobody’s forcing anyone. So far the folks who have heard it have an overwhelming positive response, but listen to it first yourself and you decide.

–SSW

pmotz, no problem. We all get confused by the terminology from time to time. Hopefully we’ll have WaveStream soon but who knows.

Yes, streaming audio through WaveStream to play from our DirectStream DAC for gapless audio bliss. :slight_smile:

J.P.

I might be a little slow on this, but can someone point me towards where i can get more information on Wavestream? Thanks

x838nwy said: where i can get more information on Wavestream?

Actually, nowhere, because officially it does not exist yet. In short, it's going to be a virtual audio driver/device that will send the audio stream to the Bridge (or any other UPnP audio renderer)

@dave03hd It is expensive but it’s worth it in terms of what we put into it. In typical PS Audio fashion I think you’ll find it’s actually a bargain. We’ve long prided ourselves on building great value into our products that exceeds what others might charge. In all honesty this product would easily sell for twice what it’s going for from most other companies.

But, proof of the pudding is in the eating and we’re excited for people to get these in their hands and hear just how great they are - and how clean your face will be after it washes it for you. :slight_smile:

If Foobar does gapless to the bridge, what is the benefit of Wavestream?

Does the new direct stream upgrade include provisions for the same digital input ? (AES/EBU, RCA/SPDIF and I2S for the PWT ?

If Foobar does gapless to the bridge, what is the benefit of Wavestream?

To allow people who are unable or unwilling to use foobar2000 to get gapless playback through the Bridge. That, and to play internet radio and whatever other music or audio source you might have on your computer through your PWD/Bridge.

J.P.

@rockitman Yes