Perfect Wave DAC MK II upgrade to Direct Stream Q&A please

What difference? Is there any in component or configuration difference in the new Direct Stream DAC as opposed to an upgraded Perfect Wave DAC MK11.

I thought I read somewhere all boards including the PSU in the Perfect Wave DAC MK11 are swapped out and only original component remains is the display board, everything else replaced is this right?

Johno,

Paul said only the display board and the chassis are re-used. All three boards (I believe that’s analog, digital and power supply) and the transformer are replaced. I would not expect a sonic difference between an upgraded PWD and a new DS unit. Ted agreed and said he was using an upgraded PWD himself. That’s my understanding, anyway.

Yep

Yes, power supply, analog board, and digital board are all replaced and fit in the same slots as the previous Mk II and Mk I versions, so sonically there would be no difference. If anything, do the kit and you can keep your fuses.

:slight_smile:

Great news! Sounds like a complicated DIY project though… :-B

do you think it’s available in HK???

Excellent that’s what I read early on then other comments in threads seem to skew things some for me, the clarification cements my understanding, thanks to those who replied

Appreciated

John

Lolz. I’m going to do the upgrade myself if it’s available. There’s nothing quite like opening up a $4k DAC and replacing basically EVERYTHING inside. Never mind PWD vs. Direct Stream, if my PWD ends up making anything other than smoke signals, I’d be hugely impressed!!!

Lolz. I'm going to do the upgrade myself if it's available. There's nothing quite like opening up a $4k DAC and replacing basically EVERYTHING inside. Never mind PWD vs. Direct Stream, if my PWD ends up making anything other than smoke signals, I'd be hugely impressed!!!

=))
I think you will see that the smoke signal resembles 1-bit DSD!

Just make sure the smoke signals are in phase.

Just make sure the smoke signals are in phase.

AND jitter free.....

It’s an easy upgrade. Unbolt the old and bolt in the new. If you can wield a screwdriver you can do this. B-)

It's an easy upgrade. Unbolt the old and bolt in the new. If you can wield a screwdriver you can do this. B-)

This really tells a lot when the smoke appears.
Not a confident booster ;))

It's an easy upgrade. Unbolt the old and bolt in the new. If you can wield a screwdriver you can do this. B-)

Thank you for adding humiliation to the list of possible outcomes.

btw: I'm sure Paul, Ted and the guys will make this upgrade a breeze. Just having a bit of a laugh :)

The DirectStream will be able to play gapless I learn.

What if I put in my old bridge board and run LAN through it from my server via jRiver?

Will that be gapless or should I wait for the bridge II coming out some unknown time in the future?

Thanks!

Charlie said: The DirectStream will be able to play gapless I learn.

PWD also plays gapless.
Charlie said: What if I put in my old bridge board and run LAN through it from my server via jRiver?
Will that be gapless

No
Charlie said: should I wait for the bridge II coming out some unknown time in the future?

Yes

thanks. thought so.

WaveStream should make Bridge 1 gapless. foobar2000 can do gapless now if you are a PC user.

Stevem2, not sure that is correct. My understanding is the Bridge has an on-board digital lens and that is the cause of the gapless issue. Filling up the buffer causes the gap. Now I will freely admit I’m not an expert, and quite honestly I think there is a LOT of confusion on how the bridge operates and influences the sound. From Ted’s explanation of DirectStream I think the digital lens is no longer needed in the Bridge, but you can’t just take it out. Would seem to simplify the design of Bridge II. Paul will need to clarify that.

pmotz said: the Bridge has an on-board digital lens

Yes
pmotz said: that is the cause of the gapless issue

No. The used VLC library does not support preloading, and, as a result, gapless.
pmotz said: Would seem to simplify the design of Bridge II.

Bridge I is already way too simple, hence needs an upgrade ;)