Phono Stage Recommendations

Hi all,

Any recommendations for a decent and affordable (between $500-800) phono stage to pair with a REGA Planar 8 TT and Ania MC cartridge? I am trying to stay in the budget as I have only recently spent a decent sum on my other gear upgrades. Thanks in advance!

You might want to try a Rega Fono MC Phono Preamplifier for $495. It will go good with your Rega turntable. It has excellent reviews.

2 Likes

Vista Audio Phono 2. Gain adjustable from 40-70db and 8 loading presets plus the ability for custom loading. $399 last time I checked.

http://www.vista-audio.com/products/phono-2/index.htm

1 Like

Thank you all. This is helpful.

Channel Island PEQ-1
Matching external power supply is optional
Fremer did a review…I owned one for a while. Max gain setting is 60.cartridge loading and gain via dip switch on rear panel

Best,
-JP

1 Like

If I were you I’d search for a used Rega Aria mkll. You should be able to find one at the top of your budget ($800-850). I have a a P8 with Apheta 3. I tried the Fono MC and was disappointed with it. I was gonna buy a used aria myself but decided to spend a bit more and go in a different direction.

A recommendation could be to get a used EAR 834P if it fits in the range. It’s not neutral, but a bit too rich sounding, but can nicely compensate limitations of budget record players.

1 Like

I would point you to Schiit Audio.

1 Like

In one of my systems I use a Van Alstine Vision Q phono preamp. Right at your $500 budget. Made in Minnesota by Frank Van Alstine in his home workshop. They are awesome phono stages. MM or MC, gain/loading can be changed using dip switches.

2 Likes

Used NuWave Phono?

1 Like

I don’t think the Mani has enough gain for his Ania MC cart.

I actually own a Mani for my current (and el cheapo) TT set-up, and I heard the same about it not having enough gain for the Ania thus looking for a new preamp.

Yup. I’m pretty sure Rega recommends close to 70db fir all if they’re MC cartridges.

If you are willing to stretch your budget just a bit, I’m a huge fan of Sutherland phono stages. The KC Vibe at $895 supports MM and MC cartridges and is going to a phono stage you can upgrade with.
Remember retailers are dealing right now. Ask for a discount, don’t be surprised if you can get very close to $800. A dealer like Music Direct can only say no, or maybe sweeten the deal with something tossed in. Like a record for your new TT. I’m looking at the MD site now … there is a KC Vibe in stock there for the taking.

1 Like

Lehamm audio black cube se II

2 Likes

@Paul It would be nice to run another special on the Stellar Phono like the one going on for the P3 power plant. I would scrape up the bottom of my barrel to jump on it.

I really like my MusicaL Surroundings Nova Phonomena Phono Preamplfier. You can find one used in you price range. Mine is the initial version with an automatically recharging battery pack. It will run 5-6 hours on a charge, though I don’t hear a difference between battery, charging, or wall wort.