Power Cable conditioner before P10

Hi

I was wondering if something like the Isotek Syncro, which apparently blocks DC would be a good fit for the main power cable before the P10? Obviously its a very expensive power cable and was wondering if it would be worth adding before the P10 and if it would make a improved difference or would if it be negated by the tech present in the P10?

http://www.isoteksystems.com/products/performance/evo3-syncro/

I am going off a review that mentions this cord is perfect and will improve any power conditioner or regenerator

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/isotek3/3.html

The final summary on the last page here mentions this

“We conclude that the Syncro is indeed an effective DC-on-AC filter just as advertised. This not only prevents power transformers from buzzing but also cleans up the overall system’s sound especially at very low volume settings. On top of that the Syncro does not appear to introduce any sonically adverse effects. It’s thus a perfect solution for replacing any wall-to-conditioner power cable and to add DC filtering to your conditioner or regenerator of choice.”

Anyone running this cable or something similar?

I am also going off another topic in another forum which mentions improvements by adding an isolation transformer before the P10. He was actually using older PS Audio Tech, funny enough.

https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/57548-power-conditioner-shootout-psaudio-vs-ag1500-vs-airlink-balanced-power-supply/

““We then fed the output of the Airlink transformer to the P10 and got the best results for the night. There was an incremental improvement in all aspects of the sound with the warmer tonal balance of the Airlink being combined with the high resolution of the P10.””

The 6 moon review also mentions

“in designing the Syncro, the challenge for IsoTek was to offer a universal solution that would remove the unwanted and damaging DC component from the mains supply whilst allowing the maximum possible current to pass. IsoTek’s latest engineering solution and DC-blocking technology developed for the Syncro is in many ways superior in performance to a massive 12,000VA isolation transformer by delivering greater dynamic ability.”

Since the Airlink Transformer is an isolation transformer (3,000VA) then the Syncro might be an idea based on the experiment they conducted.

So this is an interesting idea for me to explore with the P10 based off these experiences. I know the P10 is already a fantastic unit but wanted to see if there is anyway to improve it based off adding this powercord. I am hoping to get someone tell me that it will either be useful and an improvement or based on their knowledge of the P10 that it wouldn’t make a difference. I’m looking for some technical insight as well as

Please let me know any experiences you guys have with these type of filtering or power cords before your powerwave components.

OP:

I am no expert, but since the cable “Uniquely removes harmful DC by rebalancing the mains sine wave”, I suspect its use would be redundant. PS Audio’s approach is to regenerate power/sine waves with their P5, P10 and P20.

Cheers.

The IsoTek cable is intriguing. It appears it is designed to remove DC from the power line, which is good.

DC on the line offsets the AC sine wave so that the peaks above and below the zero crossing point no longer line up. The description “designed to synchronize the mains supply in order to provide a perfectly symmetrical sine wave” thus makes sense.

If it removes DC from the line, and does not limit incoming current, it could easily improve the sound if you have an issue with DC on the mains line. It would also make the output from a PowerPlant even better.

I auditioned the Syncro cable about 6-9months ago. I tried it as the connection between the GPO (dedicated circuit) and the P10 and also to a power amplifier. In my opinion it didn’t make a discernible difference to other well constructed after market power cords. I didn’t have a problem with DC and generally in Australia (perhaps West Australia excepted) we don’t have severe mains voltage issues.

If you are looking to upgrade your power cables it’s certainly worth a look along with others cords if you can source a loan (or money back arrangement). If I was trying to eliminate possible DC I would compare the Syncro with a dedicated DC blocker and decide.

Thanks for the replies.

So Elk based on what you are reading it could make a difference if I have a problematic line? I find sometimes I still get sound variations at night and during the day. It sounds really good at night and sometimes as good during the day but others time not so much. I thought the P10 would help improve that and it has to an extent but not fully.

Based on the 6 Moons reviews he says the Syncro has basically made his system sound like he is listening to it at 2am all the time so the DC could be an issue that the Syncro is fixing.

Is it correct to say for the P10 that it mainly deals with the AC while the syncro deals with the DC, which is why they could be complimentary if they are used together?

Any time you can feed a component better power, you obtain a better output. This includes a PowerPlant. Thus a power cable that provides better power will make a PowerPlant sound better. What will work in a given situation however depends on what you are facing.

Have you looked at the PowerPlay charts for your power? There may be a great deal of variation from day to night. A PowerPlant helps a great deal but cannot make the power perfect.

You are obviously intrigued. Why not buy the cable and try it out?

It’s the same as the HumBuster we used to make. The circuit to that 's pretty simple, two full bridge rectifiers in series with the line and a handful of capacitors to smooth the transition. This will remove up to about half a volt of DC and is quite effective. Power Plants already block DC but they themselves are susceptible to it. By that I mean if there’s enough DC to make a power transformer hum, then the power transformer on the Power Plant might hum - which this thing will help. But, in any case, Power Plants block DC from getting to your equipment.

1 Like

Hi…DC on the line offsets the AC sine wave so that the peaks above and below the zero crossing point no longer line up. The description “designed to synchronize the mains supply in order to provide a perfectly symmetrical sine wave” thus makes sense. All the power conditioners doesn’t have a good material pcb and pcb assembly of components. When buying this hardware always check the ratings for all types of signal waves.

It will show more THD on the screen. However the onboard scopes bandwidth is limited. Higher THD at higher frequencies is unavoidable and acceptable. In fact THD does not really need to be .1. As Paul said elsewhere that was to stick it to Richard Gray. Under 2% is fine with me. Well actually under 1.3% is really fine. The issue is you want a perfect sine wave every half cycle. No flat or choped tops. I do not really think that directly correlates to THD. Although in it’s simplest terms. There is more to it. Look at the scope and not the THD readout on main screen. Even then the scopes bandwidth is limited.

So the DC on the line is what makes it hum. Others doubted mine hummed but it does. So in that case something that blocks DC could be in order.