P20 and a Isotek EVO3 Syncro Uni unit

The perceived wisdom from PS Audio is that you don’t use anything in front of a power plant.
Well, we all know that a better power cord driving a power plant will improve the sound.
The better the electricity going into a power plant the better it will produce power.
Some of the patrons of this website use a AQ Dragon 48 to drive their P20.

Background,
I’m in the UK and run a combined music and home theatre system so I’ve a lot of cables behind my two racks.
I’ve had my P20 for just over a year now and when it’s on and everything else is off I can hear a faint low frequency hum.
Thinking this might be caused by some DC on the line I auditioned the Isotek EVO3 Syncro Uni which is claimed to remove DC on the line.
EVO3 Syncro Uni - IsoTek – The Power To Perform (isoteksystems.com)

In Use.
When I first received it I expected it to have a male IEC and female IEC at each end but was surprised to find it had a power socket at one end.
I quickly press ganged a new power cord into it with an ordinary mains fuse.
Initial findings weren’t great.
The volume seemed to increase dramatically, treble was harsh and the bass was one note.
I ran it like that for a day and enquired with Isotek about product burn in, which they disputed,
“The EVO3 Syncro Uni is rebalancing the mains sine wave, this is done immediately when connected. The now rebalanced sine wave will have an effect on the attached electronics, depending on how they are designed the effect can be immediately or take some time.”

The following day I got a better power cord and fuse and let it run for a further day.
Initially I had the new power cord going from the wall to the Isotek and my regular P20 power cord going from the Isotek to the P20.

With the better power cord I now reverted to my P20 power cord going from the wall to the Isotek and the new Power cord going from the Isotek to the P20.

After two days the sound was transformed.
Volume level was back to what I usually expect, the treble had returned to what I’m used too, soft, feathery and extended, with no harshness. The bass was back.

What had improved was that there was more detail coming through, allowing separate musical strands within the song(s) to be followed much easier with vocals also easier to follow. Also vocals were ‘compact’ and very much in size, keeping with the rest of the soundstage. The music extended even further beyond the sides of the speakers than what I was used to.

What I think is happening is that the Isotek is reducing the noise floor level of my system even further, allowing the above improvements to be heard.

The low level hum that was there when only the P20 was operating is gone but what has replaced it is a low level hum now from my amps when they are on. This can’t be heard when music is playing. This hum disappears when the amps are switched off.
Not sure whether either the ‘old’ hum or ‘new’ hum is being created by the close proximity of all the cables I have at the back of my racks for the two systems. It’s impossible to do proper cable management with so many cables all close together.

My system was already excellent and has given me much pleasure but the Isotek has definitely improved it, giving me even more enjoyment.

The only downside is having to buy an additional quality power cord.

4 Likes

I have exactly the same experience as you.
A DC Blocker improves the operation of the P20 at home (France), such as changing the fuse (Audio Magic M-1), a Whispers Elite mains cable and the 3M sheet.

3 Likes

Slight correction The Dragon HC 20a power cord for the P20. The Dragon 48 is a HDMI/I2S cable. I knew where you were going tho!

I use a Syncro uni for my streamer and I agree with your observations.

It gets rid of the hash/harshness/grunge and opens up and sweetens the sound.

If you’re using good power cords with it (which gets expensive since you need 2 cords for each syncro) it’s on the level of a component upgrade.

UNI provides more detail, more color of instruments, a bit better flow, blacker background, more depth, calmness, more dynamics, less harshness and the most valuable thing… much more emotions and you will hear more of the artists intent.

It’s tru that it’s a component upgrade. The effect and upgrade is there even if you have never heard any hum. I raved about the product when first tried.

My experience with Syncro UNI tells me that it can take midfi towards high end and that there is likely a huge difference between entry level DC-blockers and a Syncro UNI.

After years of thinking about power I think one should adress almost all power issues before upgrading high midfi or entry level high end further.

Addressing all power issues include amongst others DC, sine wave rebalancing, sine wave form / voltage impedance, capacity, RFI, EMI, micro vibrations, seismic vibration (on cables and power cleaning), vibration absorption above transformers, vibration drainage below transformers, isolation of electronics from noice created inside the electronics (filter between), prevent noice from coming in via mains ground, mains grounding, chassi grounding and signal grounding…. All this without harming sound… Syncro UNI is a good start. A power plans and Syncro even better

1 Like

Forgot to mention more detailed bass. More bas rhythms at the same time…

What’s the difference between a EVO3 Syncro Uni and a EVO3 Syncro Uni DC Blocker?

It’s the same product. The official name is “Isotek EVO3 Syncro Uni”, not to be mixed with “Isotek Syncro” which is a cable with added on box with the Syncro tech inside.

The Syncro tech is a sine wave rebalancer that also gets rid of dc. This means that both products are dc blockers and sine wave rebalancers

One is a box that you connect between the wall and power cleaner/distribution box. The other one is including a cable.

The Syncro Uni (the box without cables that you can use with the power cables if your choosing) is only avalible in two versions, C15 and C19 (for optimal dynamics)

The Syncro cable is avalible in two version, outdated first version and presently sold version.

The first one used the old version of Isotek Optimum cable, a mediocre 3x2,5 mm cable in the USD 250 range (1 meter)

The present model uses the newer version of Isotek Optimum cable that is more advanced, uses 3x 3mm2 and is priced approx USD 750 (1 meter)

This means that the second version of the cable have got better performance and dynamics than the first one.

If one uses the UNI one can use the cables one prefer. If choosing the C19 version of UNI… and use something like Isotek Ascension (3x4mm2), a PS Audio AC-10 (3x8mm2) or an Audioquest Storm Series (3x4,2mm2) one would get a dc blocker and sine wave rebalance unit with very high power delivery capacity / dynamics.

Hope it helps

Thanks for the clarification.

1 Like

I wholeheartedly agree with your impressions of the Syncro uni.

It should be incorporated into a stereo before upgrading components.

It’s the only “power conditioner” that has had a positive effect on my integrated amp.

1 Like